Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air rifle zero question

Options
  • 29-06-2012 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

I have a couple of air rifle questions,

At what range do people zero there rifles at and what is the max kill range?

I am tryin to zero at 20 meters,it's shooting about an inch low,my scope won't lower (not sure the terminology) any more,is there anything I can do or is it just a just a **** scope??

The rifle is a BSA under lever in .22

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

If it's shooting low at 20 metres I'm sure you want to bring it higher not lower? If you have reached the limit of the adjustment on the scope, click it back to the middle of the range of the adjustments, open the mounts on your scope, move it slightly and try again.

If it's this far off at this range though it's probably a damaged spring on your rifle, it happened mine. You're looking at €40 ish for a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

I have a couple of air rifle questions,

At what range do people zero there rifles at and what is the max kill range?

I am tryin to zero at 20 meters,it's shooting about an inch low,my scope won't lower (not sure the terminology) any more,is there anything I can do or is it just a just a **** scope??

The rifle is a BSA under lever in .22

I have mine zeroed at 35 yards. I know exactly how the pellet performs over a distance of 80 yards so I generally shoot 70 yards absolute maximum. Itll take some time and plenty of practice until you become familiar with the gun, calibre and how it shoots. I'd say your scope is maxed out. take it off and do a mechanical zero and then re mount it and try zero. What make of scope is it? It could be because of a cheap or damages scope. If not then perhaps the spring is too old and weak or maybe the piston is damaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭moby30

Pal of mine bought a BSA air rifle earlier this year and had the same problem( it was shooting way too low and the scope was maxed out )He was looking to buy adjustable mounts as it was way off. The gun shop were trying to get him to put shimmys in the mounts to try raise the front of the scope but thankfully he's not that stupid:D. In the end he had to change the gun as the barrel alignment was way out. Obviously not saying its the same problem but he realised it it was a fairly common problem when he typed the name and model number into YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭cushcam

moby30 wrote: »
    Pal of mine bought a BSA air rifle earlier this year and had the same problem( it was shooting way too low and the scope was maxed out )He was looking to buy adjustable mounts as it was way off. The gun shop were trying to get him to put shimmys in the mounts to try raise the front of the scope but thankfully he's not that stupid:D. In the end he had to change the gun as the barrel alignment was way out. Obviously not saying its the same problem but he realised it it was a fairly common problem when he typed the name and model number into YouTube.

shimming the scope is not a big deal and i have heard of it being done quite a few times. obviously it is not ideal but it's not a major issue either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭moby30

Sorry cushcam. Should have clarified that a bit better. Yes not ideal and can be done but was the barrel that was not aligned properly and the dealer was trying to get him to shimmy instead of replace the gun. That's what I meant by him not being that stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭cushcam

moby30 wrote: »
    Sorry cushcam. Should have clarified that a bit better. Yes not ideal and can be done but was the barrel that was not aligned properly and the dealer was trying to get him to shimmy instead of replace the gun. That's what I meant by him not being that stupid.

ah right he definitely made the right decision so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

It may not be a simple case of the barrel not being aligned - my BSA Airsporte underlever has a barrel that is all of a piece with the action - it does not get 'out of alignment' as it is simply a continuation of the action of the rifle.

On the other hand, a BSA Meteor or similar has a break-action barrel that might, if well-worn, get out of alignment.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Stevegeraghty

Cheers guys, I'll wind back the scope and re fit it and see how we get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

What scope are you using ? Springer air rifles give the scope a hard time with recoil, it may have damaged the scope already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

'strue. Even the very best of conventional scopes have a hard time coping with the double recoil characteristics of a good old-fashioned springer air rifle, as a pal of mine found out with a spiffy but slightly older Zeiss that he put on his BSF .22 a while back. After ten or so shots it rattled, and, friends, 'twas a death rattle he heard. The reticle was in component form, lying in the bottom of the tube.

Air rifle scopes are designed specifically to overcome this double recoil characteristic, although Theoben actually make a damper mount, cunningly called a 'Dampa' mount, to reduce the effect to a safe level.

My Airsporter is 55 years old, and has only open sights, and the merciless 'twang/thump' as it goes off would surely slaughter any scope not designed to take the stress.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Did you have any luck with this OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Stevegeraghty

Did you have any luck with this OP?

I havnt had a chance yet as I've been up the walls, I may do it this weekend as I need to thin out the crows around the yard, I'll let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

There is a good video showing the best way to find the best 0 for your rifle to have the flattest curve.
    Might be useful for anyone looking for the best range to 0 their air rifles at.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭shooter88

garv123 wrote: »
    There is a good video showing the best way to find the best 0 for your rifle to have the flattest curve.
    Might be useful for anyone looking for the best range to 0 their air rifles at.
    Great video very intuitive..air rifles are more likely to injure rather than kill small game I think

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭EastTyrone

shooter88 wrote: »
    Great video very intuitive..air rifles are more likely to injure rather than kill small game I think

i shoot with an air rifle and never get many injuries i see just a many injuries with the air rifle as i do on a saturday out shooting pheasants or woordcock

Advertisement