Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasps Nest

Options
  • 30-06-2012 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Not sure if this should go here or not but here goes.

Last year I disturbed a wasps nest while cutting long grass in the back garden.
    My daughter and I got stung - funny later but at the time it was bad.:)

They are back this year which I did not think would happen, but in a slightly different area.

How should I deal with them?
    Any ideas please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

are they nesting in the ground, if you wish to be really nasty you can buy a substance at you local hardware store which if you spray int into the chanell they use to leave and enter it compleatly locks it tight, another way is to use some petrol desiel etc, pour it into the opening, then see if you can set it alight, it does not matter if it lights or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Xantia wrote: »
    Hi,

They are back this year which I did not think would happen, but in a slightly different area.

Any ideas please.

1st of all....are you 100% sure that they are wasps????

Are you sure they are not bumble bees??

If bumble bees...DO NOT kill them as they are very important and an endangered species.

Wasps are also vital,as they eat and feed on aphids and other nasty little creatures.

Pics attached are of bumble bees.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Of course I know the difference! :)

They are nesting on the ground, they are definitely wasps. I even have one that got under my shirt last time and he now resides in an old tic tac box!

I did not know what they were last time and looked too close.

Bees are vital to us all but from what I knew wasps were just pests.

If they leave us alone I could leave them alone until it is the best time to get rid of them but with children its not easy to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

Of course I know the difference! :)

They are nesting on the ground, they are definitely wasps. I even have one that got under my shirt last time and he now resides in an old tic tac box!

I did not know what they were last time and looked too close.

Bees are vital to us all but from what I knew wasps were just pests.

If they leave us alone I could leave them alone until it is the best time to get rid of them but with children its not easy to do that.

Teach/ educate the kids that if they interfere with insects like wasps that they could get stung- should really do this regardless of whether there are wasps or bees or whatever it may be, in the vicinity of your home.

Fence/ cordon off the area that the nest is in... even if its only with bamboo canes- make others aware 'this is not a spot to play in, this is another creatures home, the place that they live in and need'.

Do this regardless, dont have your kids growing up thinking its ok to kill anything that moves that could hurt/ sting/ bite us.

If you dont bother them they wont bother you.

Wasps do a lot of good for us by feeding their young aphids/ caterpilars etc...

They only become a 'pest' later in the year when food is scarce and they want our icecreams/ cans of coke for example. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

Hi,

Any ideas please.

wait till dark and put expanding foam in the hole wait a day or two and bin job done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

We had 2 nests in the garden last year, little fe@kers were like miners digging tunnels, fascinating to watch and we would have let them bee:D, only one was at the entrance to the trampoline and the other under the slide and the kids wanted them gone.

About a quarter liter of diesel poured into the entrance to the nest worked first time just make sure to do it late at night when they are all home.

Not very Eco friendly but effective.

Why in gods holy name does everyone panic about wasps and post " kill them"???

And as for pouring diesel into the ground and using expanding foam on them.:eek::rolleyes::mad:

Why dont people actually read up on these creatures and understand their benefits,before just going out to kill them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Wasps are aggressive and are not ideal in a garden with children or pets . Imagine if they swarmed a child? ? They are amazing creatures but also dangerous . The nest needs to be in an area secluded from human interaction .. But don't destroy it unless its absolutely necessary .

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

paddy147 wrote: »

And as for pouring diesel into the ground and using expanding foam on them.:eek::rolleyes::mad:

Why dint people actually read up on these creatures and understand their benefits,before just going out to kill them.

Ok may be i should get them all out and pet them one at a time because i under stand their benefits and just maybe they won't sting me.nope sorry well for me it's expanding foam

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

I think I have opened up a hornets nest here :pac:

Thanks for all the info, they are over in the corner of the garden so I will leave them alone for now.

I think that they vacate their nests once a year?
    That would be the time to sort it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

they do not vacate their nests, they burrow further into the ground, most will die, but the queen will survive then start the process alll over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

paddy147 wrote: »

Why dont people actually read up on these creatures and understand their benefits,before just going out to kill them.

I didn't set out just to wreck their buzz just for the crack, but either they or the kids could have the garden for the summer, the kids won out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I had a small nest in the shed, pretty sure it was wasps, it was a few years ago, I hoovered it and ran away, went back an hour later and it was all good.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was attacked by a swarm of wasps in a hole in the ground type nest as a 7 year old child back in the 1980s. I was so badly stung I had to be taken to hospital.:(

My friend's Dad sorted the nest out (it was in his back garden) - a rag soaked in petrol - inserted into the nest and then lit. It was curtains for the wasps.:)

Wasps are a pest but also a danger to small children. Best to destroy the nest. There's plenty of places in the wild, well away from children, where wasps can nest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Sorry to derail topic I know little about wasps but I have only seen 2 wasps the whole of this summer. Are they dying out or what is going on. Again sorry for the derail

Glad if they are .. Seen more bumble bees . I don't mind them

This is what the start of a wasps nest looks like.Facinating indeed.

You can clearly see how small it is,compared to a 5 cent coin.

You can also clearly see the cells inside the nest.

Facinating.:)

If anyone wants to see a baby honey bee about to hatch out if its cell,then I can show those pics of that too,when my missus was opening up the hives,earlier on this year.

Amazing sight indeed.:D

I don't mind honey bees or bumble bees . I'd go to the extra effort of safely removing them from the house then to squash them ..
    But wasps are a no no . There to aggressive

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

le la rat wrote: »
    Sorry to derail topic I know little about wasps but I have only seen 2 wasps the whole of this summer. Are they dying out or what is going on. Again sorry for the derail

Wasps are usually seen more around August iirc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

Ms Happy wrote: »
    le la rat wrote: »

Wasps are usually seen more around August iirc :)

I realise that even now it's a little early to be plagued by wasps, but so far this year I havent seen one, is this not a bit strange?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

flutered wrote: »
    they do not vacate their nests, they burrow further into the ground, most will die, but the queen will survive then start the process alll over again.

I have heard (and noticed) that they never return to the same nest the folllowing year.

I don't mind honey bees or bumble bees . I'd go to the extra effort of safely removing them from the house then to squash them ..
    But wasps are a no no . There to aggressive
    If you have gone to the trouble of taking them out of the house why not just let them fly off? I have never had one return when I did it and it is much less disgusting than squashing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

Surely we should be seeing lots of wasps by now, either they are very late this year or they have been decimated by the poor weather.

I have them alright.Doesn't warm weather bring them out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fe1exams

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I was attacked by a swarm of wasps in a hole in the ground type nest as a 7 year old child back in the 1980s. I was so badly stung I had to be taken to hospital.:(

My friend's Dad sorted the nest out (it was in his back garden) - a rag soaked in petrol - inserted into the nest and then lit. It was curtains for the wasps.:)

Wasps are a pest but also a danger to small children. Best to destroy the nest. There's plenty of places in the wild, well away from children, where wasps can nest.

There are plenty of places for wasps to reside. It is not safe to have a wasp nest in your garden with kids etc. Exterminate them because they can be highly dangerous. I was clearing the bottom of the garden and got stung 15 times... The doc told me a story about how she and another doc worked on a patient for a couple of hrs to save his life.. She said in her own words she has never seen someone as close to death as him. If a child is stung on their throat or mouth and has a reaction there in trouble. There an absolute nuisance and please dont listen to these tree huggers. Kill the wretchard creatures and keep you and your family safe. the eco system wont collapse... perhaps plant a few trees if u feel bad! Ireland needs more forest for wasps etc... wasps and family homes is a bad combination!

Whats dangerous is if the mouth swells and the lips tingle. You need immediate medical intervention. A friends Grandfather died from a wasp sting... I hate them with a passion and personally feel they are in our eco system my most undesirable pest after rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Maybe try and smoke them out of the nest OP.

I remember my father doing this years ago when I was a kid with a nest of them that was living in a tree becide our house and it got rid of them but doesn't kill them, just encourages them to move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Do wasps build nests inside leylandii hedges? I'm seeing lots of them everytime I go near, and I really need to do some cutting but I'm too scared too. It's late to see a lot of wasps isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Fe1exams wrote: »
    There are plenty of places for wasps to reside. It is not safe to have a wasp nest in your garden with kids etc. Exterminate them because they can be highly dangerous. I was clearing the bottom of the garden and got stung 15 times... The doc told me a story about how she and another doc worked on a patient for a couple of hrs to save his life.. She said in her own words she has never seen someone as close to death as him. If a child is stung on their throat or mouth and has a reaction there in trouble. There an absolute nuisance and please dont listen to these tree huggers. Kill the wretchard creatures and keep you and your family safe. the eco system wont collapse... perhaps plant a few trees if u feel bad! Ireland needs more forest for wasps etc... wasps and family homes is a bad combination!

Whats dangerous is if the mouth swells and the lips tingle. You need immediate medical intervention. A friends Grandfather died from a wasp sting... I hate them with a passion and personally feel they are in our eco system my most undesirable pest after rats.

What you are describing is an anaphylactic reaction to an insect sting. Some people are alergic to insect stings but its pretty rare. And even if a person was alergic and got stung it would have to be on the throat to have a chance of killing them quickly. Very unlikely. On the grand scale of things wasps are not that dangerous and as long as you stay away from their nest they wont bother you so id say leave them be.

However OP if you or any of your family are alergic to insect stings you should get rid of the nest immediately and if you live in the countryside you should keep a few EpiPens in your house in case someone does gets stung and goes into anaphylactic shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 longlooker

Hey, where do you live? I am in Terenure and a number of my neighbours had this problem this year......strange

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

I could count on the one hand how many I saw this year although the weather was pretty awful as you know.

Advertisement