Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club heroes you have a soft spot for.

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Seaneh wrote: »
    At Milan Serginho was the ultimate cult hero.
    Played left back, left mid, centre mid, attacking mid and striker at different times, never complained about not being a regular starter (although he probably should have been at times) and always gave 100%. One of those players who has become part of Milan legend, still employed by the club as chief south american scout.

Serginho was a class player. One of the fastest players I've ever seen with the ball at his feet. I remember he ripped Zanetti apart for 90mins when Milan trashed Inter 6-0 a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I will always admire the ginger master Paul Scholes, wonderful player and brilliant servant to Manchester United!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Costacurta would be my pick. 21 years at Milan & always in the shadow of Baresi, Nesta & Maldini. Containing the likes of Ronaldinho & Eto'o & the age of 39 what a legend & such a great pro.

I guess John Robertson has to be at the top of my list. He had more than 500 appearances and scored over 200 goals for Hearts over a 17-year period. John Colquhoun played about 350 games for us around the same era; he was an old-fashioned winger, short, slightly built and quick.

Nowadays we're less likely to see players sticking around in the way that Robbo and JC did back in the day, and guys who flit in an out for a season or two are less likely to become cult heroes.

Except this man. He only played for us in 05/6 and 11/12. But what a player.

Here's my favourite ever pic of the guy. I was there when this happened. :)

cup13.jpg

Rudi Skácel, cult hero.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Howso? Granted, I left out "His Holiness" before his name, but I can surely be forgiven for that?

Because the OP clearly wasn't going for the "best players to ever play for a club/best servents" he was asking for players who despite not being the best to ever play there who are loved by you or the club.

Otherwise I would have said Buffon, Liedholm, Rivera, Káká, Gullit, Van Basten, Nordahl, Shevchenko, Maldini, Costacurta, Baresi, or a handfull of others.

Feck it, I would have just said Maldini, who played 902 games for Milan.
    I firmly believe he was the best player of the last 20 years and easily the best defensive player of all time.

But I didn't, I picked a man who was a squad player for the entire duration of his 9 year stay at Milan, because that's what made sense in this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

tdv123 wrote: »
    Serginho was a class player. One of the fastest players I've ever seen with the ball at his feet. I remember he ripped Zanetti apart for 90mins when Milan trashed Inter 6-0 a few years back.

Il Concorde, I'd agree, he was the fastest player I have ever seen with the ball at feet, and he didn't have to do the Walcot/Agbonlahor/etc job of knocking it ahead of himself and running onto it, he could run flat out with it on his toe!

Advertisement