Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing parking spot during VOR

Options
  • 30-06-2012 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

I’m just looking for a bit of advice. I work in Galway city. I rent a parking space in the Cé na Mara apartments at the docks but I don’t live there. I will have very limited access to my parking space during the Volvo Ocean Race due to road closures. Basically, most days I’ll be able to get in, but not out. Residents of Cé na Mara were given vehicle passes for the duration of the VOR, which was not passed on to me by my landlord or the agency I deal with. I was unaware of the vehicle pass system until tonight when I finally copped on about the road closures. So, it looks like I’ll have to make other arrangements for my parking for the 9 days. Do you reckon I should still have to pay my full rent for the month even though I’ll have no access to my space? The extra parking costs are going to add up and had my landlord or agency bothered to contact me and pass on the vehicle pass I wouldn’t be in this predicament.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭dessierb

Go to the event organizers with a utility bill and proof of address and get your parking pass. Simple

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭littleteapot

dessierb wrote: »
    Go to the event organizers with a utility bill and proof of address and get your parking pass. Simple

I don't live there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭dessierb

dessierb wrote: »

I don't live there though.

Ah ok, my fault,

Bring your parking contract to event organizers or contact your agent/landlord and demand a permit. And for you to deduct rent you Must advise landlord of situation. If he fails to rectify then yes deduct. But make sure it's all done in writing and keep copies.

Thank you! I took your advice and emailed the agency. Won't be able to park there for work tomorrow or Sunday but I'll manage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Awww that's crappy, that after paying for your space you got left out and now have to go out of yer way to find other parking that sucks. Hope they get it sorted out pretty damn promptly for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Title changed to clarify issue
    Hope it works out for you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grainnereills

Ive had issues accessing the dun Aengus car park.

I have a space there. And there's a slip road into it. But the clipboard nazi of a security guard has stopped me twice. Saying I needed a pass to drive the 50 yards. The only letter I got from Galway Property Management noted that residents were allowed access the carpark. Nothing about a pass. I went to the VOR office in steamship house and they knew nothing about passes.

If that power-mad security guard tries to stop me again...any advice?

OP there will be "park and ride" in operation during VOR so you just use that.

Ive had issues accessing the dun Aengus car park.

I have a space there. And there's a slip road into it. But the clipboard nazi of a security guard has stopped me twice. Saying I needed a pass to drive the 50 yards. The only letter I got from Galway Property Management noted that residents were allowed access the carpark. Nothing about a pass. I went to the VOR office in steamship house and they knew nothing about passes.

The guard has his instructions. You should probably speak to GPM again and get them to issue a pass or they need to sort it with VOR office directly. Did you ask your neighbours.

Thanks for changing the thread title. Moment of panic left me with such an unintelligible title! Ha!
    biko wrote: »
    OP there will be "park and ride" in operation during VOR so you just use that.

The park and ride this time is a complete rip off! €5 per person! It's cheaper for me to park at the Dyke Road.

Anyway, I didn't hear anything back from the agency today, wasn't really expecting to tbh. If they don't get back to me on Monday, I might try the Galway Property Management office.

Thanks so much for the help. Even just the chance to vent and have it acknowledged helps a bit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Open with asking for a copy of his road closing permit and work from there; involve the actual Gardai, not those who have an honorary high-vis.

I'd also be shouting the odds with GPM if you have a valid contract to park there, and from experience, I'd expect to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Robbo wrote: »
    Open with asking for a copy of his road closing permit and work from there; involve the actual Gardai, not those who have an honorary high-vis.

I'd also be shouting the odds with GPM if you have a valid contract to park there, and from experience, I'd expect to succeed.

They may not need a road closing order as around the docks is private property, which is why you can get clamped there and not in the city centre. Also, the Gardai can close the road without an order.

OP; if you incur extra costs hold on to any receipts and present them at the harbourmasters office, who arew the ultimate authority in the area; insist on reimbursement there and then. It isn't fair that locals are not given proper notification.

@Biko; why should the OP have to resort to park and ride when they already have everyday provisions in place for themselves? The lack of information obviously isn't a one-off thing, seeing as there are 2 people affected posting on here.

I finally got my parking sorted today. Had to call down to the Galway property management office this morning to pick up my pass. They had no problem giving me one.
    Thanks for all the help :)

Glad it was sorted so easily.

Advertisement