Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

teething???

Options
  • 30-06-2012 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

question... is it possible my 11week old is teething already?? (first timer here).

she constantly has her fist in her mouth. moving her tongue in and out of her mouth. drooling (more like foaming). and a new one today is pursing her lips like she's trying to grind her gums...

is this not a bit early?? its not effecting her sleep. still sleeps from 11-9 straight through..

is there anything i can do for her??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Hi static, 2 of my 3 were teething early. 1 by 10 weeks and last guy at 8 weeks and he didnt get a tooth until 11 months. Then they all came together within 2 months!! I used to just give them cold teething rings, a baby cup to bite on or a spoon. We used to keep a few spoons in the fridge and then hold it for him while he chewed down on it. She will be fine, if worse comes to worse there are loads of gels in pharmacy that also help, just ask them. Enjoy your little girl :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Stat I posted the exact same thing in the Newborn thread. J is 12 weeks old tomorrow & defintely teething, if you put your finger in his mouth he will bite down & chew it not to mention the excessive drooling. He's really enjoying his teething ring out of the fridge at the moment :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yes, my daughter started doing this around the same age and got her first 2 bottom teeth when she was 4 months old! She is 6 months now and her top front teeth are coming though, we can just about see them. So cute!

She hasn't been too bad with it, just constantly wants to chew on things. There was one bad night when she was crying, I tried the gel but it didn't seem to help so I gave her some calpol that time.

Just get a few of those gel filled teethers and pop them in the fridge, the coolness is soothing. We are doing BLW with my daughter and she loves chewing on cold cucumber strips from the fridge too

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

thanks for all the replies. i just thought it was a bit early but obviously not.

did any of u use the amber necklace? (on the ankle)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My son started at 9 weeks. We use the amber necklace and find it really great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My daughter broke her first tooth at 10 weeks, teething from about 4 with big red cheeks and chewing on everything. Some can even be born with teeth. It isn't a sign of anything in particular, it is abit hard on them at that age when they don't have the coordination for any of the teething toys, and they are too young for baby neurofen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I put an amber necklace on my son at around 16 weeks I think when he had been teething since about 14 weeks... he definitely improved, and the 4 teeth he has so far have come through without much fuss.
    I have it on as a necklace, not as an anket. he pulls at his trouser legs/ socks/ feet all the time, so I think for him it would be far more likely to be broken or pulled of from his ankle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My lil woman is 9 weeks and is always shoving her fist in her mouth (has done this alot since birth anyway) but also lately she's dribbling alot and trying to chew the top of her bottle and soother. I put my finger in her mouth and she bit it but i didnt feel much. She doesnt have red cheeks and isnt off form so not sure if she could be teething or not. Also what are these amber necklaces you speak of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

the twins have been teething for a quite a while. our little man had side teeth come up then disappear. you could try teetha it's by nelsons and is available in most chemists. comes in either a powder or gel form. but i'd always ask the chemist regarding things like this. they'd know best especially considering how young your baby is. we're still waiting for their first official teeth as they come up and disappear all the time.

Suucee wrote: »
    My lil woman is 9 weeks and is always shoving her fist in her mouth (has done this alot since birth anyway) but also lately she's dribbling alot and trying to chew the top of her bottle and soother. I put my finger in her mouth and she bit it but i didnt feel much. She doesnt have red cheeks and isnt off form so not sure if she could be teething or not. Also what are these amber necklaces you speak of.

http://www.teethingsos.com/

its a natural way to relieve teething... proven or not im going to try it.. anythings worth a try as far as im concerned :)

• Advertisement

Make sure it's baltic amber you go for, it has the highest concentration of the whateveritscalled (I can't remember) acid that is the natural pain killer :D

update on teething ....

we were with the public health nurse today to her three month check and i mentioned that i thought she may be teething... everything being put in mouth foaming at mouth pursing Lips etc etc etc

turns out im full of sh1t...

its natures way of her telling me she's getting ready for solids... my bad!!! makes sense too as the way she explained it.. a baby can't be teething for like two or more months as they only teeth when teeth are coming and they may be one before that happens.. also they can't eat solid food with a dry mouth.. hense foaming at the mouth...

hope this helps/reassures some first timers like me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'm sorry but I think your public health nurse is full of sh1t not you.

She hasn't a clue and that is appallingly bad and wrong advice to give a first time mum.

Your little one IS teething and there is absolutely no way that she is ready for solids at 11 weeks. Solids shouldn't be given before 4 months/16 weeks according to the HSE guidelines and the nurse works for the HSE so you'd assume she'd know this.

It's most certain not natures way of telling your baby she's hungry. It'd be funny if it wasn't so serious. Historically babies weren't weaned onto solids until a year and a half to two years. Weaning has only been brought back gradually since 1930's when formula was introduced and babies started showing signs of rickets and other deficiencies. So unless nature has changed her mind recently she's not telling your baby she's hungry.

From what I understand the extra saliva acts like a sort of pain relief. If you think that when you have a toothache you make extra saliva to wash over the tooth; well your little ones body is doing the same for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Baby may not be teething, there are other things that happen at that time as well, like the salivary glands start working fully, producing a lot of drool.

The stuff into mouth is them learning to control their hands and mouth. Normal developmental milestone.

Or the baby could be teething.

Whichever, as said above me, it is certainly not time to start weaning now. I got the same story from my PHN... And mine was teething. The tooth appeared the next morning. I don't know what their obsession with weaning early is.

its natures way of her telling me she's getting ready for solids... my bad!!! makes sense too as the way she explained it.. a baby can't be teething for like two or more months as they only teeth when teeth are coming and they may be one before that happens.. also they can't eat solid food with a dry mouth.. hense foaming at the mouth...

Oh My God, sorry but that is HORRENDOUS advice.

Teeth don't appear overnight! They don't just pop through in a day or two... it DOES take time. My son started teething at 14 weeks and didn't get a tooth until he was a day over 6 months.

There is an enzyme in the saliva that helps essentially break down the gums to help the teeth through, this is why they produce a lot of saliva. THis enzyme is the same reason why many breastfeeders fine nursing a bit (;)) uncomfortable when their babies are teething.

Of course, as pwurple said, it could be plenty of other things as well, like the developmental stuff

i may have given the wrong impression of my phn. she said she's ready for weaning... but also said NOT to start till 16 weeks. sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭chka

Good idea to verify advices from doctors, nurses before you apply them. A simple search using google/bing will verify if their advice is valid or a crappy one like giving solids to an 11 week old!!! I always do my searches before and after the visit to the gp/phn.

Advertisement