Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To buy or not to buy?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

jay-me wrote: »
    Ok so I saw this computer on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004LFCIA0/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=computers&psc=1

And I am just wondering if it is a good buy or would I be better off building one myself and have better parts?

Sorry meant to say I just want it for gaming.. DayZ mod on ARMa 2, BF3 etc etc on as high a setting as possible.

The graphics card is not great and you would have to be playing at low resolutions to be able to play at high/ultra in bf3.

Fill this out and you will get some example builds.

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

1. What is your budget? [€600 - 700 can stretch if necessary (although cheaper the better)]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Internet] (If gaming include which games) [Minecraft/ARMa 2 DAYZ mod/BF3/ latest games etc]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] No (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility) [N/A]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [N/A]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [I use my TV]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] [No]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser] [All of the above.]

9. When are you purchasing? [Whenever]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin]

Thanks in advance.

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

1. What is your budget? [€600 - 700 can stretch if necessary (although cheaper the better)]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Internet] (If gaming include which games) [Minecraft/ARMa 2 DAYZ mod/BF3/ latest games etc]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] No (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility) [N/A]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [N/A]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [I use my TV]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] [No]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser] [All of the above.]

9. When are you purchasing? [Whenever]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin]

Thanks in advance.

Surprised someone didn't get back to this, you'd need something like this:

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-3450 Box, LGA1155|€175.58
    ASRock H61M/U3S3 (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX|€54.05
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€36.53
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€40.99
    Sapphire HD6870 1G GDDR5 PCI-E DL-DVI-I+SL-DVI-D / HDMI / DP|€146.56
    BitFenix Merc Alpha|€31.57
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version)|€81.75
    WD Caviar Black 500GB SATA 6Gb/s|€76.97
    LiteOn iHAS122-18 schwarz SATA|€18.41
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€681.40

Eboggles wrote: »

Sounds cool, and thanks. Will this run ARMA 2 on highest settings? And I would prob get an ssd aswell and the 2500k processor to future proof or is that unnecessary? Oh and can anyone maybe give me hand assembling it? I have experience in IT but never built one from scratch :o Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Sounds cool, and thanks. Will this run ARMA 2 on highest settings? And I would prob get an ssd aswell and the 2500k processor to future proof or is that unnecessary? Oh and can anyone maybe give me hand assembling it? I have experience in IT but never built one from scratch :o Cheers

If you're not overclocking don't bother getting a K model. There are plenty of tutorials online that show you how to or if you're ordering from Hardwareversand you can get them to assemble it for €20.

Just checking the board specs and it doesn't have enough USB ports is there any suitable ones with more? Also why micro ATX over ATX?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Just checking the board specs and it doesn't have enough USB ports is there any suitable ones with more? Also why micro ATX over ATX?
    How many do you need? The U3S3 has a good bit. I chose the board because of its price/performance, not because of its form factor.

Advertisement