Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 3 year degree + post grad enough to get H1B?

Options
  • 30-06-2012 4:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi, My daughter is finalizing CAO options and a big concern is that some of the degrees have duration of only 3 years. I'm aware that there can be an issue with obtaining visas to the U.S. as a 4 year degree is the standard. If she was to complete a postgrad would this meet requirements?
    We previously lived in the U.S. for five years and her long term plan is to return there but most of the courses she has decided upon are of 3 years duration - e.g. Communications in DCU.

Can anyone provide me feedback over this w/e ? after all her effort would like to ensure that I give her appropriate advice on this. Any pointers would be really appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Technically, it is enough but she will likely need experience as well. The US employer needs "labor certification", ie to prove that he cannot get a US citizen to do the job, which is more difficult with a 3 year degree. If you can afford it, she could always look into doing her postgrad in the US, that way she can network too.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

Thanks silja, unfortunately due to the costs involved she would have to complete any postgrad in ireland. do you happen to know if that combination can be used as equivalent to a degree obtained in the U.S. ?

Equivalent for what? If you mean for the H1B, a Master satisfy the minimum requirement, but it's difficult to get a H1B job with any Arts or similar subject, such as communications. Of course, if she wants to become a journalist she may get hired by an Irish newspaper/ TV station and report over there.

If the H1B possibility is the prime reason for college, I would recommend something int he sciences or engineering or IT programming. But of course if she has no aptitude for that, she will have a miserable time in college, and it still doesn;t guarantee a job and visa.

Thanks, unfortunately computing isn't something she's interested in. Her areas of interest are english/history/art/languages and she's very outgoing and creative. The H1B isn't the driving force for going to college, but is on the backburner to try and keep as an option. I think she'll go over on a J1 for each summer if possible as we still have a lot of friends that we are in contact with. Maybe the best approach would be for her to pursue a degree of interest and then a masters following that, once she knows what area she wants to focus on. I know she's also mentioned studying psychology and has that down but the points are quite high, so she's not sure if she'll get that choice. Maybe that would be a better option for the visa front? Thanks so much for the input

I know a couple of my friends who studied speech therapy got "headhunted" by US hospitals, if that is the sot of thing she is interested in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Quite a few Business Information Systems graduates from UCC end up in America. A lot of their students go on work placement in the US in their 3rd year and many get offered full time positions when they graduate. It's a 4 year degree course. One of my best friend's did it and he has been in Boston since 2007 on a H1B. Upon graduation, his only work experience in the field was his 6 month work placement in the US in his 3rd year.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's a waiting game now as the CAO change of mind has closed. It's a hard balancing act for her to pick a course that she will enjoy and also one that may give her the freedom to travel if all goes well. With costs being so high and jobs being so scarce here, it definitely adds a huge amount of pressure at a young age and a need to think ahead. Hopefully all will go well. Thanks for all the comments.

Advertisement