Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vw Polo Oily spark plug.

Options
  • 30-06-2012 5:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

My Vw polo 2001 has came up with a problem lately, its misfiring, I'v zoned it down to the piston on the left closest to the driver.

I have changed the sparks all round and so far 3 times on that one piston. I have changed the leads too. the old plugs from the problem cylinder have a very oily residue on them. When I change the plugs it last about a week before it happens again. Once the new plug goes in the car is fine, runs smooth!

Check engine light comes on and flashes but then goes steady.

Any ideas what it could be and my cheapest option to fix it?

Thanks in advanced :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I have 00 same issue every so often, what I do is take out the plug and lightly clean it with sand paper and put it back in, works like a charm for another few thousand miles and will get you to the next service.

Hasn't happened mine in a long while, now actually strangely enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 jayreddin

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I have 00 same issue every so often, what I do is take out the plug and lightly clean it with sand paper and put it back in, works like a charm for another few thousand miles and will get you to the next service.

Hasn't happened mine in a long while, now actually strangely enough.

i'v put fresh new ones in and still the same happens, been reading online about piston rings, gaskets, GVC i think systems so its all to confusing and scary as it all would cost alot of money

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sounds like engine oil is fouling that plug. That suggests wear in that cylinder. Couldbe a valve issue, or bottom end.

Get a compression test done to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

jayreddin wrote: »
    i'v put fresh new ones in and still the same happens, been reading online about piston rings, gaskets, GVC i think systems so its all to confusing and scary as it all would cost alot of money

I've had my car nearly three years and this has happened on and off from about 6 months after I got it. Certainly hasn't happened at regularly as yours, the one thing I have noticed is that it happens more with Denzo plugs for some reason, I can't think of the ones I am currently using but it doesn't seem to happen as much.

If it is happening to the car that frequently though it probably is best to get it checked out and find out whats wrong with it.

Advertisement