Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mistake in grading of a particular component of a module

Options
  • 30-06-2012 7:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering has this happened to anyone before?

I checked my exam results when they came out three weeks ago or so, and when I scrolled down I saw I had incomplete credits, 40 out of 60 for Stage 1.

In one of my subjects in Semester 2 I got an E, the module in question being Literature in Context II. Out of all the exams, I didn't understand how I got an E in it, and because I did so,it has brought my credits down to 40 ( compensation affected.)

For the module it was CA mostly, 40 % group project, 30 % Learning Journal, and then 30 % exam. I only found out today that I could click on the link for the module and see the breakdown of grades for the specific components. There I saw that I got a B+ in the Group Project, a D- in the exam, and then an NG in the Learning Journal.

So suddenly my E grade makes sense, having received no marks for that, I have lost 30 %. But I had completed the Learning Journal and submitted it by e-mail, which was requested, within the time-frame.

So I can only hope there's been a mistake in attributing the grade to me. If not, and they didn't receive my Learning Journal for whatever reason, should I still be o.k? As in I e-mailed it through, but it was missed or unread for whatever reason, will I be entitled to get graded as it wasn't my fault?

The other possibility is that it was graded, but it just wasn't attributed to my overall results, hence the E. Has this happened to any of you before and is it regular enough, or pretty rare? I put loads of work into the journal, to the point of insanity, but even if I still did pretty badly, I would of thought it would still have been worthy of some grade. Sorry for rambling, but just wanted to know if anyone has been in a similar position before! Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If you have proof you emailed it through it should be fine. Double check you actually emailed it from your sent items and you attached the right documents. If can't provide evidence you sent it then you're in trouble. Emailed the lecture straight away anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Def email them as soon as. I think there is a time limit on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hey,thanks for replies. Yes I defintely e-mailed it to them, and attached right file and everything, it's still in my sent folder.

Have e-mailed module co-ordinator, so just hoping they get back to me sometime next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

If the lecturer doesn't get back to you within a few days, go to the School office and explain the situation. Lecturers might be away this time of year, but there should be someone in the office. Let them know about the situation so that it can be sorted as soon as possible. If it's just a case of the grade being omitted, then it won't be too difficult for them to get the grade amended - it does happen occasionally and they will be used to dealing with it. If there are issues with compensating or progressing to the next stage, you should talk to the Programme Office about that - but they won't do anything until the grade is changed.

Gae wrote: »
    If the lecturer doesn't get back to you within a few days, go to the School office and explain the situation. Lecturers might be away this time of year, but there should be someone in the office. Let them know about the situation so that it can be sorted as soon as possible. If it's just a case of the grade being omitted, then it won't be too difficult for them to get the grade amended - it does happen occasionally and they will be used to dealing with it. If there are issues with compensating or progressing to the next stage, you should talk to the Programme Office about that - but they won't do anything until the grade is changed.

Hey thanks for advice, but I wouldn't be able to go to the office as I'm currently away myself and won't be back till September. Presume you can e-mail them though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

E-mail or phone them if the lecturer doesn't get back to you.

Hey thanks for advice, lecturer got back to me pretty quickly and it turns out it was a mistake and now has sent it in for correction. Just have to wait now for this to be reflected, because until then my credits are showing up as incomplete.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Always better if they do it using Blackboard or similar, so it can be verified ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AliCali12

You need to go to Arts Programme office so they can contact the module coordinator, send an email to both your tutor and your module coordinator and ask them why you got that grade, as maybe it wasn't corrected. Go into UCD and go to programme office they will help you! [ Quote=WoollyRedHat;79483406]Just wondering has this happened to anyone before?

I checked my exam results when they came out three weeks ago or so, and when I scrolled down I saw I had incomplete credits, 40 out of 60 for Stage 1.

In one of my subjects in Semester 2 I got an E, the module in question being Literature in Context II. Out of all the exams, I didn't understand how I got an E in it, and because I did so,it has brought my credits down to 40 ( compensation affected.)

For the module it was CA mostly, 40 % group project, 30 % Learning Journal, and then 30 % exam. I only found out today that I could click on the link for the module and see the breakdown of grades for the specific components. There I saw that I got a B+ in the Group Project, a D- in the exam, and then an NG in the Learning Journal.

So suddenly my E grade makes sense, having received no marks for that, I have lost 30 %. But I had completed the Learning Journal and submitted it by e-mail, which was requested, within the time-frame.

So I can only hope there's been a mistake in attributing the grade to me. If not, and they didn't receive my Learning Journal for whatever reason, should I still be o.k? As in I e-mailed it through, but it was missed or unread for whatever reason, will I be entitled to get graded as it wasn't my fault?

The other possibility is that it was graded, but it just wasn't attributed to my overall results, hence the E. Has this happened to any of you before and is it regular enough, or pretty rare? I put loads of work into the journal, to the point of insanity, but even if I still did pretty badly, I would of thought it would still have been worthy of some grade. Sorry for rambling, but just wanted to know if anyone has been in a similar position before! Thanks[/Quote]

Cheers, I've since got it sorted. Well kinda.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes for the exam office to update a grade, after the module co-ordinator has submitted it to them for correction? I need it done sooner rather than later, as I will need to choose subjects to major minor in by the 23rd, and cant do so until it has been updated.
    The Module Co-ordinator submitted the paperwork on the 5th of July.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement