Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Statute Barred - Act?

• 30-06-2012 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Quick question in relation to minor road traffic matters and minor criminal matters such as section 2 assault where the Time limit to issue proceedings is 6 months.

It is my understanding that if a summons is applied for before the 6 month time limit no issue arises. However, I remember I court case I was involved in a few years back where a person was invited to a Garda station one week before the 6 month limit and charged to appear at a court on a day after the 6 month limit.

At the time I would of assumed that because the person was charged before the limit that proceedings were thus initiated and no issues would arise, however, when it came before court the matter was struck out because the person when charged must be taken to court before the time limit is up.

The solicitor for the defendant in this case stated a provision of the law and it escapes me so I was wondering can anybody help? I'm thinking maybe the petty sessions (Ireland) act 1851?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

Anyone any ideas on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dats_right

Petty Sessions (Ireland) Act 1851

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭Kevin3

The Petty Sessions (Ireland) Act, 1851

Section 10
    (4) In cases of summary jurisdiction, the complaint shall be made within six months from the time when the cause of complaint shall have arisen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

Kevin3 wrote: »

Section 10
    (4) In cases of summary jurisdiction, the complaint shall be made within six months from the time when the cause of complaint shall have arisen.

Does this mean that if the Garda can't find you at home for six months to serve a summons in person that a prosecution can't proceed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Condatis wrote: »
    Does this mean that if the Garda can't find you at home for six months to serve a summons in person that a prosecution can't proceed?

No. Once the summons is applied for within six months the case can proceed. When it is served is not relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

Kevin3 wrote: »

Section 10

Thanks Kevin3 but that doesn't look like what I'm looking for. I know that the 6 month time limit applies for summary cases but the above scenario is different because one might argue that because the Garda charged the accused before the 6 months that proceedings had commenced however, the argument made in Court was that the charge sheet had to be before the court in that time unlike a summons. Once a summons is applied for ie sent to the courts and stamped proceedings have commenced. A charge must be different. The solicitor backed it up with legislation and that's what I want to know?

Thanks for the replies

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

That quote from the Petty Sessions Act is correct. The application for a summons is treated as the date of the complaint, whether to a judge directly or via the automated procedure. Charging a person is not the making of a complaint until the person charged actually comes before the court. Since the person came before the court after six months the time had expired. Had the Guards actually applied for a summons instead of charging the person the case could have proceeded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

No. Once the summons is applied for within six months the case can proceed. When it is served is not relevant.

Is there any time limit on when it can be served?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Is there any time limit on when it can be served?

It has to be served within a reasonable time. This means that it should be within a few months but may be longer if there is difficulty effecting service.

Advertisement