Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

viking marathon

Options
  • 30-06-2012 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

anyone know if its gonna be on the telly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Lol why on earth would it be on telly? Just log on to Facebook and you'll get a running commentary from everyone taking part.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not a chance of this being on the telly other then a 30sec bit on the news, even Dublin marathon won't be on the telly this year as far as i know after they lost the national lottery as their main sponsor.

In comparison they have 10k people taking part, far far more then Waterford will ever have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Well done to everyone who took part in the Viking Marathon today. Ye are all winners.
    Seemed to be very well organised for a first event. Hopefully they can build on this in the years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Well organised me hoop!

Well done to all involved all the same though

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭smalltalk

Well done to everyone who took part and helped organize the First Viking marathon.I watched some of the runners come up the hill between orchardstown and sport-house cross brilliant effort by everyone.@magpie30 there could be some clips on the TV later as I saw a couple of cameras around, despite the fact that in the Dublin marathon"In comparison they have 40k people taking part, far far more then Waterford will ever have."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Did the 35 Marathon chap finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

ziedth wrote: »
    Did the 35 Marathon chap finish?

Did indeed.
    Crazy bastard

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

smalltalk wrote: »
    there could be some clips on the TV later as I saw a couple of cameras around, despite the fact that in the Dublin marathon"In comparison they have 40k people taking part, far far more then Waterford will ever have."

You'll always see camera's at the bigger more well known events, Cork, Connemara etc. Unfortunately it doesn't mean they'll actually film the entire thing and do more then a 30slot on the news.

Connemara Marathon this year was a perfect example, RTE covered it as a good news bit on the news cause some chap proposed to his girlfriend at the finish line after doing the Ultra Marathon.

Outside of that RTE showed next to nothing (this is normal in Ireland), however an Italian camera crew covered far more of the event as the guy that won it was Italian.

Even if a Irish guy won it RTE still wouldn't have covered much more then the bit on the news, awful shame considering how popular the events can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

kryogen wrote: »
    Well organised me hoop!

Did you run it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Well organised me hoop!

Well done to all involved all the same though

Care to elaborate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

gscully wrote: »
    Care to elaborate?

Not really if I'm honest, don't have all night to be defending myself from the begrudger accusations after!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Was in attendance from start to finish and didn't encounter any problems. Thought is was exceptionally run taking into account that there was also the option of running a half marathon or taking part in a relay, not easy to organise to say the least.

Big well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭daaave

Cabaal wrote: »
    Not a chance of this being on the telly other then a 30sec bit on the news, even Dublin marathon won't be on the telly this year as far as i know after they lost the national lottery as their main sponsor.

In comparison they have 40k people taking part, far far more then Waterford will ever have.

think your mistaken with the flora womens mini marathon which usually has 40k participants.
    dublin city marathon usually has around 10,000 people with over half of those participants coming from overseas.

what i couldn't believe was the amount of local people i recognised running today in our first ever viking marathon. fantastic achievement all round and hopefully will grow from strength to strength so thet we in turn can achieve a 50/50 ratio of local/overseas runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Not really if I'm honest, don't have all night to be defending myself from the begrudger accusations after!

I'm not accusing you in any way. Just curious as from the outside looking in, it seemed well organised, though I hate the route. I know one of the main organisers quite well, so I'm sure any feedback you have can be passed on constructively. Any new event will have its problems.

daaave wrote: »
    think your mistaken with the flora womens mini marathon which usually has 40k participants.
    dublin city marathon usually has around 10,000 people with over half of those participants coming from overseas.

whoops,
    Mixing up numbers there somewhat, your right its around 10-11k mark for Dublin, still the case that this is far more then Waterford will ever manage though.
    what i couldn't believe was the amount of local people i recognised running today in our first ever viking marathon. fantastic achievement all round and hopefully will grow from strength to strength so thet we in turn can achieve a 50/50 ratio of local/overseas runners.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting down Waterford, I certainly hope its a success as its good for business and its good for people's health. Lets hope it goes strength to strength

Wished to merely point out its unlikely to be ever shown on TV in the same manner as Dublin was last year, of course Irish broadcasters in Ireland not really being interested in any of the big running events in Ireland doesn't help this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Well done to everyone who ran the marathon today, I am in Awe of every one of you. :)

The organisation was excellent and was a credit to the city and county. Well done to all the volunteer's that helped make it such a great day and also the gardai on the excellent traffic management.

p.s. some idiot out in Tramore went past a closed road sign an clipped a runner with their mirror (the idea of road closed and no entry seems not to register with some idiotic people) the gardai on duty gave her a serious lecture and there was also another "tool" in a WX reg car who nearly reversed into runners outside the Superquin entrance beside the RSC. Neither of these incidents could be blamed on the organisers as it was the action of studid, idiotic, ignorant clowns

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

I'm still buzzing after photographing the event. To see everyone from start to finish out supporting the runners was absolutely fantastic. Things went well traffic wise too although some people were oblivious that the marathon was on. Standing on the finish line photographing the runners was a pure emotional rollercoaster. People being overjoyed to agony really hit home. Now to go through 5-6000+ photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

kensutz wrote: »
    I'm still buzzing after photographing the event. To see everyone from start to finish out supporting the runners was absolutely fantastic. Things went well traffic wise too although some people were oblivious that the marathon was on. Standing on the finish line photographing the runners was a pure emotional rollercoaster. People being overjoyed to agony really hit home. Now to go through 5-6000+ photos.

have you a flickr account or similar where we can see some of your work ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

daftdave wrote: »
    have you a flickr account or similar where we can see some of your work ??

www.sepaphoto.org

• Advertisement

It won't be on my website for a bit as the photos will be sold by WLR for the charities involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

I was supporting. Looked good, esp for the first attempt. Think the route could be better though. Would be nice to take in more of the city.

Are they going to post the times online?

There was a great buzz in town last night after it. Fair play to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

floyd333 wrote: »
    I was supporting. Looked good, esp for the first attempt. Think the route could be better though. Would be nice to take in more of the city.

Are they going to post the times online?

There was a great buzz in town last night after it. Fair play to all involved.

http://www.precisiontiming.net/result/racetimer?v=%2Fen%2Frace%2Fshow%2F892%3Flayout%3Dprecision_timing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Well done to everyone who ran the marathon today, I am in Awe of every one of you. :)

there was also another "tool" in a WX reg car who nearly reversed into runners outside the Superquin entrance beside the RSC. Neither of these incidents could be blamed on the organisers as it was the action of studid, idiotic, ignorant clowns

from seeing the carry of kamakazee runners in town running around like headless chickens im not surprised some of them gathered behind a reversing car ........:)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Trevster

It won't be on my website for a bit as the photos will be sold by WLR for the charities involved.

Hi Kensutz. Just wondering what website might that be?

http://vikingmarathon2012.photoshelter.com/

WLR are meant to send out an email to participants. Money is going to the 2 charities that they're supporting. Alzheimers Society and The Waterford Hospice.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

WLR are meant to send out an email to participants. Money is going to the 2 charities that they're supporting. Alzheimers Society and The Waterford Hospice.

Ha poor Crokey lying in the ditch on the side of the road and you wouldnt even give him a hand up.

Cheers. Is it possible to buy an electronic version of an image with a laser card?

Can't process Laser payments but can do cash/cheque. The email details are on the site and we can probably help you out that way.

• Advertisement

Can't process Laser payments but can do cash/cheque. The email details are on the site and we can probably help you out that way.

Thanks. Yep sent an email earlier on.

Advertisement