Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voltage Question

Options
  • 30-06-2012 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hey, I just got a PC shipped from Germany and the Voltage on the plug says 16a 250v. The only thing is the plug is german and I don't have an adapter. Can I use the plug from my old computer (which fits in)? The voltage on it says 5/250v .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

the 16A 250v is just the rating for the plug. it would be sum powerfull computer to use 16A of juice. its the computer will have the power rating on it not the plug. your old lead should be fine it should plug in direct to your computer

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lukasbolander

the 16A 250v is just the rating for the plug. it would be sum powerfull computer to use 16A of juice. its the computer will have the power rating on it not the plug. your old lead should be fine it should plug in direct to your computer

Thanks for the answer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Standard European sockets are rated 16amps. So any full-size, earthed European plug is also rated 16amps.

Plugs used here and in the UK contain an internal fuse so they can be rated anything up to a maximum of 13amps.

This is down to a quirk of house wiring permitted here known as ring circuits. Basically, in some installations the sockets sit on a 32amp ring so a fused plug is required to prevent your appliance cords bursting into flames during a fault situation.

The fuses are also used to provide a little extra protection for thin cables than is available elsewhere. So, small appliances are often fitted with 5amp or 3amp fuses. The old British regulations on this stuff used to be a bit extreme in this area. Most of the world just uses 15 or 16 amp protection on their household circuits, so most appliances can survive a brief 16amp overload, long enough to trip the circuit breakers.

The one huge advantage though is that if you ever overload an Irish or British power strip by plugging too many things in, the worst that can happen is the fuse will blow in the plug. Elsewhere, especially in the states, this can cause fires.

Computer equipment cables here will often be protected by a 3, 5 or 10 amp fuse.

To get the amp rating required just divide the max wattage of the device by the voltage.

Eg 300watts/230volts.

16A/250V just means this device can carry a load of up to 16amps and is rated as safe for use on systems up to 250volts.

The most important thing to remember is not to use thin cables with high power appliances or to feed multiple appliances... You should check the rating on the cable itself if in doubt. It's embossed on the flex.

Advertisement