Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FFVII being re-released on Steam?

Options
  • 30-06-2012 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Found this snippet on the final fantasy citadel, didn't see it mentioned so thought I'd put up a post about it.
    A little less than a year ago, we reported on the presence of both Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII on Steam's servers. Today we have some news that might indicate that Square Enix hasn't given up on these PC ports' rerelease.

Recently, a forum member at another download service, Good Old Games, noticed that Square Enix has registered the domain finalfantasyviipc.com. The site is currently not visible to the public, but a screenshot was taken during the brief time that it was.

Besides character synopses and wallpapers, the screenshot lists three new features for FFVII PC. They are: achievements (36 of them, to be exact); the sure-to-be-controversial "Character Booster", which allows players to improve their stats "all with the simple click of a button"; and support for cloud saves. The price for the game is £7.99 or €9.99; prices in other currencies are not listed.

An official announcement has not been made, but given this leak, I'm guessing it will happen sooner rather than later. As for FFVIII PC, it's still unknown if it will be rereleased as well, but its chances are looking better.

The above taken from http://www.ff7citadel.com/updates/00000463.shtml#comments

Has any one seen the work carried on qhimm.com etc? I wonder if any of that will be implemented in the re-release ( if it even happens )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭PlanIT Computing

And then the CEO comes out stating that a "remake" will not be done until another game of the series tops FFVII's success.

http://andriasang.com/con1ny/wada_on_ffvii_remake/

Lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Good news but it seems quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ceder12

The one that's coming out, is a remake by the way! (:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ceder12 wrote: »
    The one that's coming out, is a remake by the way! (:

Prepare to be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

I have to say i really enjoyed playing FFVII, in fact played through twice which isnt the norm for me. I even got into the advent children and crisis core spin offs...but i am getting so sick of this remake of VII crap.

I mean enough is a enough. Its gotten to the stage where im starting to feel physically ill when the words Final Fantasy VII are mentioned. So many fans think they want a re-make...if it actually got released how much do you want to bet all those same people would hate on it for not been like the original?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

It has gotten ridiculous at this stage.....and yet, I spent the best part of 20 mins yesterday daydreaming about what the achievements would be :o

RedXIV wrote: »
    It has gotten ridiculous at this stage.....and yet, I spent the best part of 20 mins yesterday daydreaming about what the achievements would be :o

Noooo...thats what square-enix want you to do to keep the buzz around the franchise so they can churn out a FFXIII-3. I never really got into the achievement stuff. Will there be a sucking at protecting Aerith achievement?

carbonkid wrote: »
    Noooo...thats what square-enix want you to do to keep the buzz around the franchise so they can churn out a FFXIII-3. I never really got into the achievement stuff. Will there be a sucking at protecting Aerith achievement?

Just for the sake of mindless fun, I had the following in my head:
    • Beat Emerald Weapon
    • Beat Ruby Weapon
    • Get a Gold Chocobo
    • Get Yuffie
    • Get Vincent
    • Get all 4 Huge Materia
    • Master all materia (this one will never be done by me anyway)
    • Make Don Corneo lust after Cloud in Sector 6
    • Go on a date in the Gold Saucer with Barret
    • Get all lvl 4 limit breaks
    • Get all ultimate weapons
    • Get "All Lucky Sevens"
    • Beat the game

After this I get into the realm of crazy achievements

The site is live now if you want to take a look.

No sign of the achievements yet :D

http://finalfantasyviipc.com/en

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Surprised that there's no steam release. Though I imagine it'll show up there eventually.

• Advertisement

Something about this feels really dirty...square-enix's shareholders dirty hands all over it...Money, money , money.

If they release that same sh*tty port with the mega low-res FMVs on this site and charge anything over a tenner i will never have anything to do with FFVII again. It is dead to me.

In fact at this stage, as a thank you to the fans, this game should be free...fat chance, i know.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Character booster...jesus christ! Let it die already SE.

Also, what idiot thought it was a good idea to only release it on their own shop. Put it on Steam and you'd sell way more copies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Kiith wrote: »
    Character booster...jesus christ! Let it die already SE..

What's this?

Christ, they could at least have added a few features like they did with Final Fantasy Tactics. I really don't see why I should buy yet another copy to go with my PSN version and the PSOne discs I have back home.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I'd be very happy if the include the PSone soundtrack and have proper high def backgrounds.

If they upscale the current ones they'll look horrid.

....How about a widescreen mode while we're at it? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I very much doubt HD backgrounds are at all likely. It'll mean extra work for Square Enix. Any expense will take away from sales which I doubt will be impressive. From the looks of things it's just getting some bugs worked out so it'll run on modern operating systems.
    I think it'd be nice if they used better quality audio samples, added some voiceovers like they did with FFT.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

There is no way in hell it would be only 10 buvks if they went and rerendered the backgrounds. That if they still have the assets even. They'd have to redo the video's too since the fmv blends in with the game itself.

Advertisement