Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reuse of a leg after surgery.

• 30-06-2012 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

Last Wednesday, our beloved Border Collie was struck by a jeep which shattered the femoral head of his hind left leg. Needless to say, he's since had surgery and he's recovering nicely; one concern we have however, is that he rarely applies any pressure on the affected leg and seems more than content to get by just using the other three. We're worried that he might get to accustomed to walking like this rendering the leg entirely lame; is it possible to encourage him to start using the leg again so he can recover his former walking style?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Its only a few days, I would imagine its pain that is stopping him using it, I wouldn't be worrying just yet.
    Ask your vet if you're concerned, the usual is crate rest and restricted movement until it heals well, then gradually back to the exercise, swimming can be great for helping build the muscles back up gently.(after the vet gives the all clear for exercise)

Just to add that recovery for something like this would probably be 6 weeks or more just like a human break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It takes time OP so leave him at it for the time being - I wouldn't be trying to encourage him to use it just yet. The bones will take 12 weeks to heal/knit together and even after that he'll still be sore/lame when he starts exercising off lead again so you need to take it slowly. You need to be mindful of that because as he gets more confident during his recovery you'll need to step in and restrict/limit him so he doesn't do any damage and set his recovery back weeks (this happened to us :(). Once he's allowed have walks again you need to walk slowly to encourage him to use the leg BUT take it at his pace - if he's lame during or after exercise you need to let him rest up and cut it back for a few days then slowly start building it back up.
    Muscle wastage starts after 3 days - the leg is going to be weak so he won't bear weight properly for a good while. My guy didn't bear weight properly on leg #1 (he had both legs straightened) until about 10 months after the operation - this was after 4 or 5 intense hydro sessions (2x10 mins with a harness to make it harder). For leg #2 I started him at hydro at week 12 of recovery (when he was allowed off lead again) - this time around he bounced back and was bearing weight more evenly much faster - he's 7 months post op now and flying.

Advertisement