Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of wood is this?

• 30-06-2012 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what type of wood this is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I'd say it's iroko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭carpenter23

+1 its either iroko or teak i'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

It's too light looking to be real teak. Real teak is very brown in color

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

Thanks lads, anyone know what ya pay for 10 feet by 6 feet worth in 20mm say teak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Gary Busey

Id put my money on iroko. As for cost, you cant just buy those dimensions. You buy hardwoods in lengths and join them. Price is worked out per cubic meter so you need .108meters cubed. Add waste for joining and account defects and then add the price of producing the panel required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭1865

Be careful when working on Iroko - the dust from it can be irritating.

Also. Some paints and stains won't stick to Iroko so check before you buy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

I ended up in hospital one night with a severe reaction to the dust from it. Be sure to wear appropriate dust protection and a barrier cream to stop it penetrating the skin. The dust causes nettle rash which as you'd imagine is similar to the white blisters from a nettle sting only much larger, and it STINGS LIKE HELL.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

woodturner wrote: »
    I ended up in hospital one night with a severe reaction to the dust from it. Be sure to wear appropriate dust protection and a barrier cream to stop it penetrating the skin. The dust causes nettle rash which as you'd imagine is similar to the white blisters from a nettle sting only much larger, and it STINGS LIKE HELL.

Yep I learned this the hard way after a day sanding planks, all went well till that night my face felt like it was on fire:mad: glowing red with goggle marks around the eyes:D
    On another note when your sanding it will look bright yellow so don't be to shocked and think this is the wrong wood.

Advertisement