Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any pipe smokers here?

Options
  • 30-06-2012 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Haven't seen such a thread, so... Any pipe smokers here?
    What is your favourite tobacco and where do you get it?
    Last week I've been to Denmark and wanted to buy some tobaccos I haven't seen before but they didn't let me take that much with me :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

petersons connesuirs choice and de lux are good. sometimes condor if im in the mood for a swimmy head.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Lots of pipe smokers hearabouts.
    My default choice would be Petersons Connoisseurs Choice too but as you don't like the flavoured tobaccos this might not be a good choice for you. The Old Dublin is a nice smoke, as is the Irish Oak.
    http://www.peterson.ie/pipes/tobacco.html

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tastyparsnips

I mix a slice of Velvan plug with a pinch of one of the aromatic European tobaccos such as Amphora. The best Amphora is Amphora Black which I look for when I go abroad but seems to be no longer available. As a substitute I have tried some of the Black Cavendish of any other brand which are ok in the mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

I mostly smoke Mellow Virgina and Dunhill's EMP. I recently tried some Peterson's Sweet Killarney. which I find ok, if not a little too sweet. Any recommendations on Peterson's blends, especially their aros?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Erinmore mixture for me. My mates take the piss outa me for smoking a pipe but I couldn't care less!! It's also a great way to try out new flavours of tobacco if you're p*ssed off with the same flavour.

I usually buy my piped tobacco in Tenerife, a pack of 5 will only set me back €27 and that lasts me months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Grandad Himself

Been a pipe smoker for over forty years. I used to get a lot of funny looks when I was in my twenties, but that has stopped now. One of the advantages of growing old?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... One of the advantages of growing old?
    One of the advantages? You mean there are others?

I first smoked a pipe in my early twenties, but strayed to cigarettes for quite a number of years. For well over a decade, I have been exclusively a pipe smoker.

It's my opinion that the pipe is at least as important as the tobacco you smoke in it, and that you need a number of them so that you can rest them well. I buy only Peterson's pipes, and have about 15 which I rotate.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Grandad Himself

One of the advantages? You mean there are others?

There are lots of advantages.
    For a start there is failing memory which means I can read all my favourite books and watch all my favourite films, time and time again as I have forgotten how they all ended.
    I can't remember what the other advantages are though. I know there are quite a few.

I have a friend in Belgium who makes pipes and I have a couple of his. One of them is my favourite. It has a whole series of interchangeable bowls which I rotate. Apart from that I have quite a collection of Petersons which have somehow built up over the years. I started on cigarettes but experimented with a pipe in my late teens. Haven't bought a cigarette since then!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

Smoking sigs is like drinking beer, pint after pint after pint...

Smoking a pipe is like having in the evening a glass of good wine or a single malt or an XO which you consume slooooooowly enjoying every sip. Less harmful for your health too.
    What is your favourite tobacco and where do you get it?
    Mainly English mixtures: 965 or McConnell Oriental but most of all Dunhill Nightcap - an English blend close to perfection if not the perfection. Occasionally pure virginia or virginia with a bit of perique: currently it's Ashton Gold Rush and McConnell Scottish Cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I like the petersons Irish Oak myself.
    Trying to source an old memory: Balkan Sobranie, cant though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

Zulu wrote: »
    Trying to source an old memory: Balkan Sobranie, cant though :(
    It's gone and it will never be back even if someone resurrects the brand and starts selling a tobacco under this name. Looks like some old stock in hands of collectors is the only hope unfortunately. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Slav wrote: »
    ...Less harmful for your health too...
    Making statements on what is or isn't healthy in relation to Smoking is not permitted in this forum or on boards.ie in general.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Typo fixed. I made a balls of that. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2 maximum1

Yea I thought I was the only pipe smoker in Dublin until recently but it appears not, anyone know if the pipe club is up and running, http://pipeclubofdublin.com/ anyone go?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Galwayguy20

Yup, another pipe smoker here, although it's not as often as I'd like, and I am pretty new to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm thinking of taking it up. But why should / shouldn't I? Generally I like the smell and I thing it looks pretty cool.

I'd suggest taking up any form of smoking because "it looks cool" is the wrong reason to start.

Agreed, but lets not go off thread. Here be (smoking) dragons. :)

...for clarity sake, I'm a petersons smoking dragon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

Zulu wrote: »
    I'd suggest taking up any form of smoking because "it looks cool" is the wrong reason to start.

What's the right one? Serious question.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

For me it's all about setting aside some time, to rest and to think. The pipe ritual helps with that.

blue note wrote: »
    What's the right one? Serious question.
    Apologies, I was hasty & incorrect. If you wish to take up pipe smoking to look cool, that's your concern, and probably makes it the right reason for you.

For me, after smoking for years, I enjoyed the flavor but didn't wish to go back to filthy cigarettes. Besides pipe tobacco always smelled far nice to me. So taste. And as beernut mentioned, I enjoy it during a break when walking the dog. There's nothing quite like the peace when I'm 6km's down the arse end of the beach where noone goes (except serious joggers). Sitting, enjoying my pipe & a nip from the hipflask. 15mins to myself, to enjoy our little planet & it's offereings.
    biko wrote: »
    When I smoked a pipe it was mainly Borkum Riff tobacco in a straight pipe.

Would love to have a really long one, they're cool :D
    Mod: IMG_SNIP
    ...ahh the churchwarden!

Going a bit off topic so I moved the pipe pictures to a new thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056739043

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Gualot

Ahoy there, fellow pipe enthusiasts!

Over the last few months I've been sampling all the shop-bought pipe tobaccos--such as 'Condor' and 'Mellow Virginia' etc. However, I haven't been able to find 'Clan' anywhere. I've heard some good things about it, and I'd love to try it.

I'm based in south Tipperary, but I live in Galway for 8 months of the year. I don't suppose you chaps know if it's commonly sold in Ireland? If so, are ye familiar with any shops in the Tipperary area/ Galway area, where I could find it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Cheers :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I smoke pipes rarely, like maybe 5 or 6 times a year. Don't smoke anything else tho. I also use Petersons Connoisseurs Choice too...

The one thing that annoys me about my pipe is it doesn't hold the flame that well. I know that's down to the fact its so rarely used the carbon hasn't built up, but does anyone have any tips on how to improve the heat-holding aspect of your pipe quicker?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

One common problem is packing the pipe too tightly. I suspect that arises more often with infrequent smokers.

At your rate of use, experimenting until you get it right might take a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

Got a Peterson ladies' pipe for my girlfriend yesterday... She's always tending to steal mine when I'm smoking. So I got her a tiny pretty pipe. Don't know the exact name, I only know it was Peterson.
    Not sure she's going to smoke but she's going to pose a lot :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 polymath

I think pipe smoking would allow you to make your own smoke or customize the taste. It would also make you look like an established businessman and not a swagger

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭SimonClarke

I enjoy a nice selection of tobaccos in an assortment of pipes when i'm in the mood.. Favourite tobaccos are:

Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian
    http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=H&TID=2680

St Bruno (Great all-day smoker for me and available in Ireland)
    http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=S&TID=2535

Condor (Again readily available in Ireland but needs it's own pipe)
    http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=C&TID=1103

And Mick McQuaids for when you just want your fix of Vitamin N
    http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=M&TID=1180

Simon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 chopsie

Does anyone know of any decent cherry flavoured tobaccos available in Ireland?

Advertisement