Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current job situation Canada

Options
  • 30-06-2012 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Whats the Current job market like in Canada now ?
    Is everyone finding work there ? I see the national rate of unemployment is 7% .

How long is it taking new arrivals to find work , any tips on where the most jobs are available ?

Im open to moving to anywhere for work , although Id prefer Vancouver but believe its more difficult to find work there . I Dont want to be spending months searching for a job . Id work at almost anything to get started .

Whats the best way to find work in Fort McMurray ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

rusheen wrote: »
    Whats the Current job market like in Canada now ?
    Is everyone finding work there ? I see the national rate of unemployment is 7% .

How long is it taking new arrivals to find work , any tips on where the most jobs are available ?

Im open to moving to anywhere for work , although Id prefer Vancouver but believe its more difficult to find work there . I Dont want to be spending months searching for a job . Id work at almost anything to get started .

Whats the best way to find work in Fort McMurray ?

Its not the work in Fort Mc its the very expensive property there. Ive heard Saskatchewan and the prairies is the place to head for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

Saskatchewan and alberta seem to be booming . Id love to get into the mines and start a career $$$$ . But how do people get in as a entry level miner where do miners start ? say something like a driller . I never see or can find mining entry level positions .

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Alberta is brilliant for work. I'm living in Calgary, you'd be able to get a bartender, server or any retail job in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Tonto86 wrote: »
    Alberta is brilliant for work. I'm living in Calgary, you'd be able to get a bartender, server or any retail job in a week.

How is the weather there?
    From wikipedia it looks to be -15 for a few weeks in the winter and +30 for a few weeks in the summer. Would there be a week of -25 regularly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

How is the weather there?
    From wikipedia it looks to be -15 for a few weeks in the winter and +30 for a few weeks in the summer. Would there be a week of -25 regularly?

You'd be surprised, when you're wearing a heavy jacket you'd be sweating walking around in -20.

• Advertisement

You'd be surprised, when you're wearing a heavy jacket you'd be sweating walking around in -20.

My girlfriend is Polish, she hates their winters. We looked at Vancouver but rent was so expensive and wages weren't much more than here.

How many weeks does the -20 last?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

My girlfriend is Polish, she hates their winters. We looked at Vancouver but rent was so expensive and wages weren't much more than here.

How many weeks does the -20 last?

few months

jjbrien wrote: »
    few months

Cheers. Don't know if I could cope with that.
    Is there anywhere apart from Vancouver with decent weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 meh1

I'm planning on going to Canada too.Does anyone know where the best places in Canada are for health and safety jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

Cheers. Don't know if I could cope with that.
    Is there anywhere apart from Vancouver with decent weather?

Vancouver is the mildest city in Canada, there lucky to get 5 days of snow a year, you wont see -20 there. stay south, you'll be fine

• Advertisement

Weather wise the coldest provience would be Alberta. As another poster said Vancover has the midlest winters then probarly Halifax then Toronto

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Weather wise the coldest provience would be Alberta. As another poster said Vancover has the midlest winters then probarly Halifax then Toronto

I'd imagine Saskatchewan and Manitoba are colder than both Halifax and Ontario

Edit: Oops, mis read your post. Thought you were saying Halifax and TO were the coldest! Nevermind...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kiwijbob

meh1 wrote: »
    I'm planning on going to Canada too.Does anyone know where the best places in Canada are for health and safety jobs?

contact a company called Safety Boss, I know some irish who have been taken on in H&S positions with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

kiwijbob wrote: »

This is very true.

I came to Calgary in March. Job hunted for 2 days, mainly in bars and got offered 5 jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Here's a quick way of keeping tabs on new jobs:

You will need

1, an RSS reader - I use Google reader as it's one of the better ones in my experience
    2, a llist of jobs sites in this case I will use edmonton.kijiji.ca and www.workopolis.com and desktop support but this will work for any keywords
    Sign into your RSS reader
    Go to the website edmonton.kijiji.com for example

Click on the job category you want here I clicked on programmers, computer.
    http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/f-jobs-programmers-computer-W0QQCatIdZ54
    Down the bottom of the list is a picture that looks like this
    xml.gif
    Click on this and then click on the option to addit it to your RSS feed reader.
    If that doesnt work right click on the RSS picture and choose copy link location and manually subscribe to the feed.

Do this for all the jobs sites you want and you will have a handy site to visit to check all the job postings

I overheard our CEO yesterday we are based in Toronto he was talking to one of the Vice Presidents of the company he said to him "its a job seekers market here not an employers one"

So very much the opposite of Ireland seems the directors of our company are frustrated that they cant get staff easily. If you are qualified and have experience then your set.

Theres a major shortage of workers in Kitchener Ontatio was on the news a month ago companies there are trying to lure people there to work in Canadas new silicone valley

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I overheard our CEO yesterday we are based in Toronto he was talking to one of the Vice Presidents of the company he said to him "its a job seekers market here not an employers one"

So very much the opposite of Ireland seems the directors of our company are frustrated that they cant get staff easily. If you are qualified and have experience then your set.

Theres a major shortage of workers in Kitchener Ontatio was on the news a month ago companies there are trying to lure people there to work in Canadas new silicone valley

What industry do you work in???

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

4.5 % unemployment in Alberta thats brilliant . Seems quite higher in Toronto .

Is there many hostels in Calgary ?

Canada sounds fantastic. Ill be there in a few weeks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Chief_Jack

I am looking to work in Canada, more than likely Toronto, next summer after I finish college. When I am finished I will have a B.Sc (Hons) in Computer Science so I will of course be looking for a job in I.T. I know that's kinda vague but I'm not sure what type of I.T job I am looking for yet.

Anyways, Does anybody know what my job prospects will be like? Also, is it best to already have a job before moving or better to arrive and then start looking immediately. Thanks!

• Advertisement

hdowney wrote: »
    What industry do you work in???

I work in IT Software

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Chief_Jack

I work in IT Software

Just after finishing the third year of my degree. Sounds like my prospects for next year are good then

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Chief_Jack wrote: »
    Just after finishing the third year of my degree. Sounds like my prospects for next year are good then

European degrees and academic certifications mean very little over here, its all about experience & contacts. I would imagine it would be very difficult to find work in IT straight out of a non-canadian college/university.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 5lamps

Thinking of moving to Canada myself

I am in the funds area and was looking at jobs in Halifax and Toronto

I can see there are a good few in fund accounting and investor services with the likes of Citco and co

Anyone working in this area?

Cheers

The following may be of some interest to skilled workers considering Alberta for work, I notice carpenters are mentioned here

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2012/2012-07-16.asp?utm_source=mobile-news&utm_medium=mobile-eng&utm_campaign=generic

Advertisement