Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.223 1:12 twist barrel

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭raymonjdevine

Going by what's available here 55 grain is your limit in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

In general -

With 1-12" twist you are most like to find the best performance the 40 to 55gr range.
    With 1-9", 50 to 69gr.
    With 1-7" 55gr boat-tails to 77gr, or even heavier.

A few target shooters in my club shoot 80gr in a 1:7 barrel. So do Vince Bottomley and others...

I'm sure the real experts will be a long in a while.....but being retired and with nothing else to do all day except sit by the creek and count the holes in my eyelids, answering this stuff gives me something to do to occupy me until I'm took.

tac

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

cushcam wrote: »
    ............ but if there is a scientific theory behind the bullet weight vs twist rate .........................
    The Greenhills formula.

A formula used to determine the best twist rate for a bullet by using its make up, length, weight, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Its more about bullet length than weight. A 1:9 or 1:8 is the most versatile for most applications other than long range target work with heavy bullets. See attached chart for a graphic display of the concept. I use 1:8 which works well for a wide range of applications. This represents a theoretical optimal situation. I concur with Tac that a 1:9 should do ok with a 68 or 69.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

EWQuinn wrote: »
    Its more about bullet length than weight.
    +1. Very true.

My 1:10 (.308 cal) is ideally suited for 185+ bullets. However due to their length Lapua 155 Scenars also work in it. The scenar has a much longer bearing surface than the equivalent 155 in other brands, and as such acts more like a bullet of heavier grainage than it actually is.

For the purpose of this thread, and taking into account the availability of ammo then, as said above, anything from 40-55 gr should work ideally in the 1:12.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Not wanting to hijack the thread but ... What's the optimum barrel length for a 223?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Not wanting to hijack the thread but ... What's the optimum barrel length for a 223?
    1/9 twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

tomcat220t wrote: »
    1/9 twist.

Barrel LENGTH

I have no experience with bolt guns in .223. But for hunting critters with a good quality bolt gun on a bipod, I would think 22-24 with a medium to heavy contour barrel would be perfect especially if you don't have to do a lot of walking. For long range target work, then you are likely 24-26 and bull barrel. I have never seen any correlation of optimum barrel length & twist rate for accuracy, not to say such doesn't exist. Most good .223 rifles will be accurate enough for most purposes, main variation will be velocity & ballistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Barrel LENGTH
    Would depend on what your use was !
    Ive seen 20" barrels shoot well but down on speed to a 26" barrel .
    Most bullet manufacturing companys use 24" as their test barrel .
    If i was going the custom ,20"-22" with canted lands ...should bring the bullet speed up a little ...Bartlein 5R !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

Mine with 1:12 can handle the 60gr Hornady TAP

http://www.hornady.com/store/22-Cal-.224-60-gr-V-MAX/

http://www.hornady.com/store/22-Cal-.224-55-gr-V-MAX/

TAP uses the Vmax? Not that much difference bet the 55 and 60 so it should work ok.

Advertisement