Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Wormer. Type and How Often?

• 30-06-2012 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

What type of dog wormer do you use?
    How often do you administer it and why?
    Why you use that type?
    Where do you get it?

Do you change wormers from time to time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

mickmcl09 wrote: »
    What type of dog wormer do you use? Milbemax
    How often do you administer it and why? 1 tablet every three months
    Why you use that type? Vet recommended
    Where do you get it? Local Vet

Do you change wormers from time to time? Not as of yet
    See comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

We use the worm table given by the vet every two months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I change it up Milbemax and can't remember the other one.
    Recommended dosage every 2-3 months.
    Vet recommends them and from what I can see they work.
    Drop into the local vets and pick them up.

Yes, not every time but second time usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

mickmcl09 wrote: »
    What type of dog wormer do you use?
    How often do you administer it and why?
    Why you use that type?
    Where do you get it?

Do you change wormers from time to time?

I rotate wormers: milbemax, cestem xl, endogard xl or drontal xl (depending what's on special!)
    I worm every 3 months religiously.
    I use they above as they were recommended by vet (they only sell milbemax but said other 3 will do the same job)
    I can only get milbemax from my vet but I buy the others online;
    www.petmeds.co.uk
    www.nutrecare.co.uk
    www.vetuk.co.uk
    For any large dog owners out there the 3xl wormers mentioned above work out do much cheaper as only 1 tablet is required. My vet charges €7/€8 per tablet so could cost me €56 to worm 4 Labradors whereas I think I paid €16 incl delivery for last online batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I have a new puppy and a cat, the vet I visit always gave the cat parazole liquid, and also gave it to my pup on his first visit. But when I went to purchase some for home use the petshop recommended drontal. Anyone know which would be better? For both cat and dog. Or any other suggestions on what to use?

• Advertisement

Shelli2 wrote: »
    I have a new puppy and a cat, the vet I visit always gave the cat parazole liquid, and also gave it to my pup on his first visit. But when I went to purchase some for home use the petshop recommended drontal. Anyone know which would be better? For both cat and dog. Or any other suggestions on what to use?

Parazole is a very gentle wormer and you give it over a few days. Drontal is a single dose and sometimes can be a bit harsh on pups if they are riddled with worms. On my own dogs I only ever used tablets but on foster pups the rescue gives me parazole as usually the pups are full of worms. Once worms are initial worms are gone then I use tablets e.g milbemax, drontal or cestem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Worm mine every three months with Millbemax. Used to buy it from the vet, but now get it from McLaughlins in town. Cheaper than the vet, but can't remember what I paid.

Interesting links online. I thought they won't sell to RoI, but freely available in the UK with a vet prescription. I'll check them out now. Might be cheaper again! :)

Worm mine every three months with Millbemax. Used to buy it from the vet, but now get it from McLaughlins in town. Cheaper than the vet, but can't remember what I paid.

Interesting links online. I thought they won't sell to RoI, but freely available in the UK with a vet prescription. I'll check them out now. Might be cheaper again! :)

Way way way cheaper online especially if it's multiple pets! You won't get milbemax online without prescription but you could get endogard, cestem or drontal which will do the same job! Actually I prefer them as
    have xl tablets do only 1 tablet each for my girls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Once a year and usually with powder from the supermarket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

I use a brand named Drontal, I buy it from my vet I dose my dogs with it every 3 months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You should always get your wormers from the Vet. The ones in your local supermarket arent good at all. Ive heard of a lot of dogs being sick after being treated with those types so i would always recommend you get them from the vets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

andreac wrote: »
    You should always get your wormers from the Vet. The ones in your local supermarket arent good at all. Ive heard of a lot of dogs being sick after being treated with those types so i would always recommend you get them from the vets.

Some dog wormers kill the worms in the dog's system and then dissolve them so they don't pass the worm through - if it is a cheaper brand it can cause very severe upset stomachs! A brand from a Vet is always best!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

andreac wrote: »

The ones we use are the same ingredients, just cheaper and easier to access.

We read the labels very carefully indeed and use sparingly as they are toxins.

Not sure where the worms come from that need such frequent treatment either.

If you google this, ie "frequency worming dogs", it is discussed in other dog forums with many speaking of the dangers of over medication in this area.

It is like us taking too many antibiotics etc.

Advertisement