Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ancient Shrines destroyed in Timbuktu

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Was reading about that in The Times.
    Its sadly not the first time they have destroyed world recognised monuments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

People just want to get their kicks. It's always the wasters that love to cause destruction and not contribute anything themselves. It's a shame they have to go after things like this that are pretty much unique and irreplaceable.
    Must be a better thrill to them or something.

There will always be assholes like that in the world unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Whats wrong with these people, reminds me of the destruction of buddha statues by the taliban.
    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2012/06/2012630101748795606.html

They're actually restoring those, but I suppose they'll be demolished again when the Americans & Co pull out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sharia law, the quickest way to **** things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

FFS, what exactly will be gained from this destruction?

What kind of excuse is un-Islamic? The past Islamic rulers of Mali protected the history of other cultures and religions. Maybe Ansar Dine should learn from history rather than attempt to destroy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Wait ... Timbuktu is a real place? I always thought it was like some fictional place of legend used in the saying "From here to Timbuktu". Next someone's going to tell me Shangri-La is a real place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Pedant wrote: »
    Wait ... Timbuktu is a real place? I always thought it was like some fictional place of legend used in the saying "From here to Timbuktu". Next someone's going to tell me Shangri-La is a real place.

Of course it is - just a few miles outside Bhorle near Kathmandu. Very popular with the gap year crowd - sure there are two Irish pubs there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

we are going to hear about this from here to timbuktu

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Its terrible. They are destroying their own heritage.
    Utter daftness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Pedant wrote: »

Xanadu was real as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Whats wrong with these people, reminds me of the destruction of buddha statues by the taliban.

Shower of arseholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

V_Moth wrote: »
    Of course it is - just a few miles outside Bhorle near Kathmandu. Very popular with the gap year crowd - sure there are two Irish pubs there now.

Lots of places claim to be the 'real' Shangri-La, just like there are about ten "Dublin's oldest pub"s.

goose2005 wrote: »
    Xanadu was real as well.

Famous for its Stately Pleasure dome. Loads of rows but the music was ok and you were almost guaranteed a ride if you played your cards right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Biggins wrote: »
    Its terrible. They are destroying their own heritage.
    Utter daftness.

Dick Roche was a fan of that here

Dick Roche was a fan of that here

Here its not "destroying our heritage", its "progress".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

The uneducated are easily influenced by the puppetmasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I think we should send one of our top any of our politicians to be used as human shields until things calm down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

It reminds me of the giant Buddhas of Afghanistan that were blown up with dynamite by the Taliban in 2001. It is a desperate shame and it always happens during a deep cultural regression, there are some pretty dark times ahead for Mali.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Those things belong to humanity - not some dark age loving cunts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with these idiots? Destroying history itself, just for the sake of being cunts!

Zealots: being arseholes since the dawn of religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

"These people"? :rolleyes:

You'd swear westerners had never destroyed anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

It reminds me of the English in Ireland, specifically from 1537 under the English Archbishop George Browne in Dublin when they went out and started destroying historical religious sites which were visited by throngs of pilgrims. They were determined to break traditional religious practice and impose their own cult upon the population. They were still destroying and closing down religious sites, particularly holy wells, in the twilight years of the Penal Laws in the late 18th century. Indeed, up until 1869, when the English Protestant church was disestablished in Ireland, all Irish Catholics were paying to keep all English-owned religious sites in Ireland looking well via paying tithes. Now the English Protestant ('Church of Ireland') churches are "national monuments" and the native Irish sites are nothing but mass rocks. "Oh didn't the Protestants do such a wonderful job of protecting their our culture", remark the historically benighted.

In short, we don't have to go to Afghanistan to find people destroying indigenous culture. In fact, we can just look at English-speaking Irish people who hate Irish culture and want to see Ireland being a little England. Ireland has its very own Taliban destroying Irish culture right there.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-18675539
    Some witnesses started crying when they saw the damage, AFP says.

If I think about it too much, I can't guarantee I wouldn't cry myself. I was certainly sick to my stomach when they looted the museums in Baghdad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

It's the curse of the Lia Fail...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

We need a band of Indiana Jones type people willing to beat the crap out of anyone that wants to blow up history. Explosions are awesome, but there's plenty of rubbish modern stuff you can blow up. Pile all the 3D TVs up and go for it or whatever.

Advertisement