Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Poleberry charging €5 to park

Options
  • 30-06-2012 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Just went to Tesco to pick up a few things. They've a parking officer stopping cars as they enter the car park, taking €5 off each car as a parking charge. Didn't have much time to read the handwritten sign, but I think it said that if you spend more than €10 in Tesco you get the €5 refunded.

As I didn't intend to spend more than €10 I turned round and went elsewhere. What a joke.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

They do in me hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

me thinks op was just robbed and has yet to realise it

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Just went to Tesco to pick up a few things. They've a parking officer stopping cars as they enter the car park, taking €5 off each car as a parking charge. D

You have been scammed my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What the ****? At the risk of provoking a storm did the fella look "respectable"? Did he have jobsworth type uniform?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

You have been scammed my friend.

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

mike65 wrote: »
    What the ****? At the risk of provoking a storm did the fella look "respectable"? Did he have jobsworth type uniform?
    He did. He was the regular parking officer who patrols that car park. Only today he's apparently charging for it. Europarks I think runs the car park. Euro something anyway.

Wow then 5 euro for a shop. How busy is that place as a rule (esp car park wise?)

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

It was actually for charity - Aware as far as I know. It was written on the big sign where the parking attendant was standing. Saying they were collecting today.

:rolleyes: This place! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

At worst I would have thought it would be something to do with the marathon and maybe Tesco not wanting people to use the car park just to park, but no way I would believe they will bring in that policy there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I think the OP needs to read this: http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/humor/a/bristol_zoo_car_park_attendant.htm

Its a myth by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Not surprised if they would charge, alot of people just park there to go to the cinema or TK Max

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

True, but it doesnt really impact the shop as most cars park in the first part of the car park, where nobody using the shop used to park anyway.

If anything it increases footfall for poleberry.

Was the attendant an older guy with salt and pepper hair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I would like to point out that the OP edited his original post, making my reply seem a little...odd. In actual fact, it was an hilarious off the cuff remark that some of you fine people expect from the likes of me.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    True, but it doesnt really impact the shop as most cars park in the first part of the car park, where nobody using the shop used to park anyway.

If anything it increases footfall for poleberry.
    I don't see how. I, for one, turned around and went to another shop. I'm not paying €5 to park my car while I use a supermarket - even if it's for charity. I give to charity - charities of my choice and when I choose to. How Tesco feel they can hold their car-parking customers to ransom by forcing compulsory and impromptu charity donations is mind-boggling - and I'm amazed they got head office approval.
    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Was the attendant an older guy with salt and pepper hair?
    I think so, yes.
    I would like to point out that the OP edited his original post, making my reply seem a little...odd. In actual fact, it was an hilarious off the cuff remark that some of you fine people expect from the likes of me.
    Yes, sorry about that. Was posting from my iPhone and I seemed to have hit submit too early and had to edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

I don't see how. I, for one, turned around and went to another shop. I'm not paying €5 to park my car while I use a supermarket - even if it's for charity. I give to charity - charities of my choice and when I choose to. How Tesco feel they can hold their car-parking customers to ransom by forcing compulsory and impromptu charity donations is mind-boggling - and I'm amazed they got head office approval.

I think so, yes.

Yes, sorry about that. Was posting from my iPhone and I seemed to have hit submit too early and had to edit.

Nobody from Tesco or the parking attendant was forcing people to give anything. I saw 3 or 4 cars going in and not giving anything. Up to the person to chhose if they donated.

All the guy was doing was stopping people, asking if they like to donate and if they did not he said fine and there was no problem.

Tesco was not holding anybody to ranson, same way as if any of the supermarkets have kids/adults in packing bags, you do not have to give if you do not want to. Free country and all that.

Minimum of a €5 was NOT what they were looking for it was any donations at all so you could have dropped in a €1 or €2 if you so wished. I drove in and I was not asked for a €5 it was whatever you wished to give. You need to bet your facts straight before bad mouthing Tesco and their charity efforts.
    The way you are going on it seems you would like to be consulted and give your approval to supermarkets collecting for charity.

Relax it very rare you see Tesco or any supermarket doing this. I know WIT do the same during Rag Week, they collect one day at the car parks and ask for any donations from staff and students.

libra02 wrote: »
    Nobody from Tesco or the parking attendant was forcing people to give anything. I saw 3 or 4 cars going in and not giving anything. Up to the person to decicde.

All the guy was doing was stopping people, asking if they like to donate and if they did not he said fine and there was no problem.

Tesco was not holding anybody to ranson, same way as if any of the supermarkets have kids/adults in packing bags, you do not have to give if you do not want to. Free country and all that.

And you also the €5 was not what they were looking for it was any donations at all so you could have dropped in a €1 or €2 if you so wished. The way you are going on it seems you would like to be consulted and give your approval to supermarkets collecting for charity.

Relax it very rare you see Tesco or any supermarket doing this. I know WIT do the same during Rag Week, they collect one day at the car parks and ask for any donations from staff and students.

Sorry. but that wasn't my experience at all. I pulled up, saw a handwritten sign saying that parking today would be €5 but would be refunded if spending over €10 (wasn't able to read the rest as there wasn't time / it was all different sizes). Anyway I wound down the window and clarified with the parking attendant by asking "it's €5 to park is it?", the chap replied "it is" and held out his money bag, so I said "no thanks, I'll go elsewhere" and he replied "ok".

I wasn't given an option to park for free as per normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

libra02 wrote: »

Minimum of a €5 was NOT what they were looking for it was any donations at all so you could have dropped in a €1 or €2 if you so wished. I drove in and I was not asked for a €5 it was whatever you wished to give. You need to bet your facts straight before bad mouthing Tesco and their charity efforts.The way you are going on it seems you would like to be consulted and give your approval to supermarkets collecting for charity.

I find it very annoying when they have those charity packers in. I just ignore them and give SFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭_ricochet_

Was there shopping yesterday, what the guy said was if your going into Tesco to buy a few things it's free and that if you were parking there and going elsewhere it was €5. Don't see any issues with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

You? Give money for charity? You're the stingiest fecker ever ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Apparently he's so hungry, if he were a ghost he wouldn't give you a fright!

:)

Ah now. I'm charitable. I gave Steve 20p once to do a sponsored drag race. Unfortunately, he got the wrong end of the stick.
    drag-racing.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I find it very annoying when they have those charity packers in. I just ignore them and give SFA.

They seem to have taken a new approach in Ardkeen. On Saturday the girl at the check out just asked me if i'd like help packing the bags. The charity packers were standing back and only stepped forward when the cashier told them i'd like help. Much better approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Seems odd tesco ireland would agree to poleberry charging, tesco led the objection to out of town carpark charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I was in town on Saturday morning and I forgot all about the race that was on :o. I then spent nearly half an hour trying to get to tesco ardkeen but all the roads were of course blocked.I eventually gave up and went to the poleberry store and that stout bloke was standing there and asked for a fiver, but said I would get a refund if I was shopping there, which I was.So it was not a donation because I got it back.

BTW that store is gone to hell regards alot of the items I normally buy in ardkeen, so wont be there again if I can help it

Also that fella caught me a few years ago parking there and going shopping elsewhere:p

Advertisement