Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Expensive makeup that was worth the spend

• 30-06-2012 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

What cosmetics have you splashed out on that were worth the €€€?

Mine are Estee Lauder Double Wear liquid foundation. This stuff DOES NOT COME OFF all day and evening until you wash it off yourself, and its got great coverage so you don't need to use much, it's amazing. Before that I was wearing L'Oreal, Max Factor etc and caking it on to get decent coverage. Still used to come off on my mobile as soon as I'd put my phone to my ear!

Also Urban Decay eyeshadow primer. It is fantastic, even the cheapest eyeshadows last all day with it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ditto on the Double Wear foundation - it's great stuff.

For me, any MAC eyeshadow is worth the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

My Bobbi Brown foundation, I wouldn't be without it. I'm a sucker for any new beauty product that promises perfection, must have spent a small fortune over years but Bobbi is the one I always come back to. It goes on smoothly and is moisterizing, but best of all it NEVER turns orange on my skin. Worth every penny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

MAC eyeshadow primer, Prep and Prime, is worth its weight in gold - better than the Urban Decay Primer Potion (which is also good but not as good :D).

Urban Decay eyeshadows are fantastic too, prigmented and last ages on the eye - pity about the price tag!

Not quite a cosmetic but Tweezerman tweezers are bloody amazing but quite hefty on the price considering they are only tiny (but we all need nice brows!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Smashbox Photofinish Primer. About 40 quid for a tube I think, it's so long since I bought mine! I only need a small bit to do my whole face, my oily T zone is no more and it makes my makeup last for hours and hours. Ah it's so great! ^^

MAC Eyeshadows, as previously said, they are fantastic. Every colour you could want, pay off is fantastic and in my experience it has never ever creased on my eyelids even after hours of wear and no eyelid primer. Paint pots are great too. Beautiful colours you can wear alone or easily blend with others for amazing looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Smashbox Photofinish Primer for me too. I actually love that stuff. I've been without it for a month or two now and I really notice the difference. Totally worth the money, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

prescriptives light foundation

christian dior forever foundatioin

lancome hypnose mascara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

MAC Lipstick primer and urban Decay eyeshadow primers - expensive but go a looooong way. Regretting forking out on bobbi brown shimmer brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Another vote for EL doubleheader foundation. Also Bobbi Brown bronzer in Aruba - looks pink but gives gorgeous sunkissed look.

Generally I spend big on foundation, certain brushes, primers - Too Faced shadow insurance is even better than the other primers mentioned - and I scrimp on the colour stuff like varnish or eyeshadow.

Not makeup, more skincare but Channel UV protect facial sunscreen is amazing for me. Hugely expensive but the texture is fab for my combo akin, makeup sits well over it and most of all it means I actually use it every single day. So hopefully no more wrinkles or sun damage for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Urban decay, inglot and two faced shadow. They stay put and have high pigmentation so you don't need to use much. Last ages (I know you're only meant to keep them a certain time, but I just sanitise them regularly).

I'd like to say my dior foundation was worth the money but I got it in the wrong colour :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

Mac Mineralised Skinfinish Natural, best powder ever!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Mac Mineralised Skinfinish Natural, best powder ever!!

+1. LOVE this stuff!

Mac lipsticks and Benefit They're Real mascara would be two I would spend on also.

Love my Bobbi Brown foundation, but now thinking about trying Double Wear for the winter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Lancome hypnose drama mascara. It's expensive (about €25), but makes eyelashes look absolutely amazing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 lilimarilyn

DEfinitely my mac foundation its amazing ! I am gonna try out a few of the above mentioned products too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lizerb23

i swear by double wear estee lauder pale almond, its the best foundation ever...

How much is the Double Wear?

• Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

Twee. wrote: »

€34.50 from Debenhams last time I bought it...

€34.50 from Debenhams last time I bought it...

Great, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

another vote for double wear here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

My Bobbi Brown tinted moisturiser and my other Bobbi Brown foundations, the foundations were gifts though, so not sure if they count.

My Bobbi brown creamy shadows, love them.

My M.A.C brushes, particularly, the 187 stippling brush and the 217 blending brush.

Another thing I love is the Smashbox photo finish primer, I love it, but at €40 it's too dear for me, I've only used samples in the past, trying to justify spending €40 on it, but it's just not happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Love love love MAC lipsticks and blushes, they have such amazing colours. Also love Illamasqua Skin Base foundation, their eyebrow cake and the blushes too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

MAC Studio Fix Powder. Tis great.

I never got the whole Smashbox Primer craze...in my opinion the Loreal one is wayyyy better! And cheaper. Still quite expensive at 20 quid though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lizerb23

Twee. wrote: »
    its cheaper on strawberry net.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Shauna16

The one thing I couldn't be without is the Chanel Bronze Universal! It only comes in one shade but it's easily layered to make it as dark as you like.. Think it's around €38! anyone ever tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Novella wrote: »
    Smashbox Photofinish Primer for me too. I actually love that stuff. I've been without it for a month or two now and I really notice the difference. Totally worth the money, imo.
    Valentina wrote: »
    Smashbox Photofinish Primer. About 40 quid for a tube I think, it's so long since I bought mine! I only need a small bit to do my whole face, my oily T zone is no more and it makes my makeup last for hours and hours. Ah it's so great! ^^

MAC Eyeshadows, as previously said, they are fantastic. Every colour you could want, pay off is fantastic and in my experience it has never ever creased on my eyelids even after hours of wear and no eyelid primer. Paint pots are great too. Beautiful colours you can wear alone or easily blend with others for amazing looks.

Check out this website I found earlier this year, it is a gem! I thought you might like it in order to save a good bit on the primers, Free shipping to Ireland too :Dhttp://www.brigettesboutique.com/category_s/71.htm?searching=Y&sort=13&cat=71&show=30&page=1&search=%20primer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Check out this website I found earlier this year, it is a gem! I thought you might like it in order to save a good bit on the primers, Free shipping to Ireland too :Dhttp://www.brigettesboutique.com/category_s/71.htm?searching=Y&sort=13&cat=71&show=30&page=1&search=%20primer
    Have you ever bought from that site?

To be honest I would be wary of buying from a site that sells brands names so cheaply.

Also, it's based in the U.S.A so for those ordering to Ireland you could end up having to pay VAT on your order total when it arrives in Ireland, so it may not work out cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Lancome hypnose drama mascara. It's expensive (about €25), but makes eyelashes look absolutely amazing :D

+ 1.

My Clarins Instant Smooth Primer, Clarins Ever Matt Foundation and Clarins Matt Powder. When on a night out it just looks perfect until the bitter end, so photos that could have been incriminating I look like the sober one. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Have you ever bought from that site?

To be honest I would be wary of buying from a site that sells brands names so cheaply.

Also, it's based in the U.S.A so for those ordering to Ireland you could end up having to pay VAT on your order total when it arrives in Ireland, so it may not work out cheaper.

I placed an order last night for the first time, however friends have done so before and had no problem! I researched it and came across an Aussie forum and people were delighted with the service and said it was legit. I found a youtuber from the UK saying they didnt get custom charged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Mac lingering eyebrow pencil and charcoal brown eyeshadow for eyebrows, winning combination for me, pencil is perfect colour me hadnt found any cheaper brands doing as nice a colour, all seemed to dark, too red, or too light ! Also love Benefit Theyre real mascara ! would definatly re purchase as well as Mac harmony for contor/bronzer for pale girls :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I have a whole case of mac eyeshadows that I can't use anymore as I've gotten some kind of a reaction that makes my eyes water like crazy and ruins my make up when it happens, so I've had to get all new stuff, so my new favorites are urban decay, love love love the eyeshadows.

I bought the brow kit last month its amazing, I'm obsessed with brows lately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Anything by Prescriptives.

And my new one is anything by Lancome, I'm using their cleanser, toner and moisturiser (and tinted moisturiser) as well as foundation, concealer and mascara and just love it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DuvetCover

Lancôme

Teint Idole Ultra 24Hour Foundation
    Effacerness Concealer
    Blush Subtil

Mac Lipsticks and blushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Miss_Theresa

Unfortunely double wear breaks me out! :( I absolute love my urban decay naked palette, I love the colours! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Urban Decay eye shadows are savage! The Naked Palette is actually a god send and totally worth the money. Saying that I don't think you need Naked 2 if you have the first one because they are too similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Oh yeah, I love the Naked Palette too. Totally worth the money.

Yay Naked Palette, forgot about that one! I use it most days and always in my night time looks. Although while expensive, it is good value, works out at less than €3.50 per shadow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Another vote for the Naked palette but I prefer the second one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

michellie wrote: »
    I have a whole case of mac eyeshadows that I can't use anymore as I've gotten some kind of a reaction that makes my eyes water like crazy and ruins my make up when it happens, so I've had to get all new stuff, so my new favorites are urban decay, love love love the eyeshadows.

I bought the brow kit last month its amazing, I'm obsessed with brows lately.

I can always take them off your hands if you like? :p Weirdly enough, I'm fine with ALL of their products except their mascara - it had my eyes in bits!

I'm another vote for Urban Decay, I've never used a product by them that I didn't like. Their 24/7 pencil is the best eyeliner I've ever used, and their eyeshadow primer is worth its weight in gold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Lancome flash bronzer, the leg gel is brilliant stuff

Givenchy Phenomeneyes - best mascara ever :)

Mac Fluid Line eye liner

Benefit Hula Bronzer - this lasts for an eternity and is just so easy to apply and build up it is so natural looking on me.

Naked Pallette I have both and they are so worth it as the colours are so versatile

Lancome blusher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Valentina wrote: »
    Another vote for the Naked palette but I prefer the second one :)

Yay - another person! Felt like I was the only one who preferred the Naked 2. Defo worth the splurge ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

Urban Decay's Naked Palette and Yves Saint Laurent's Faux Cils mascara. I still have the Naked Palette but I've run out of the mascara. :( When I can afford it I'll buy it again, or maybe the new Volume Effet version of it. It made my eyelashes super soft and pretty and actually made them grow longer. :eek: Plus it smells gorgeous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

Definitely agree with people who said urban decay eyeshadows. Their palettes are amazing. The primer is brilliant but I still can't pay that much for an eyeshadow primer!!

Bad gal lash by benefit is really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Hi I read about how great this mascara is from here so decided to get it in boots today. Was delighted to see that it was half price at €12.75 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Hi I read about how great this mascara is from here so decided to get it in boots today. Was delighted to see that it was half price at €12.75 :eek:

I was surprised to see a Lancome mascara reduced so drastically but then noted it's the Drama version you mentioned. I was talking to a SA (in Boots Dundrum actually) who said that so many people bring this one back because it's too dramatic and OTT for them :eek:
    But if that's what you're looking for then bargain!! :D

Love the original version, doubt that one was reduced too...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

Chantecaille faux cils longest lash mascara, traumatised my wallet but is seriously impressive, doesn't clump, give spider legs or dry out. On one tube for over 5 months now!!! Get asked am i wearing false lashes every single time i wear it!!!

And for those that might compare this to they're real in their minds, its not like they're real at all, tr pales in comparison! Tr made my lashes super awfully hard like they could break off and the tube dried on my after about 3 weeks which is a common problem i've heard.

Also hourglass primer, this is a new purchase for me but i love love love!!! Make up does not move with it and its sweat proof so even gets me through the gym!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Which Boots was this? Would love to try at that price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Scraggs wrote: »
    Which Boots was this? Would love to try at that price

Half moon street in Cork
    cch wrote: »
    I was surprised to see a Lancome mascara reduced so drastically but then noted it's the Drama version you mentioned. I was talking to a SA (in Boots Dundrum actually) who said that so many people bring this one back because it's too dramatic and OTT for them :eek:
    But if that's what you're looking for then bargain!! :D

Love the original version, doubt that one was reduced too...?

:o I was looking for the original and I thought the one I got was the original. I haven't used it yet and theres no sticker on it to show that I haven't even opened it. Do you think I can return it? Did the sales assistant say if they gave the customers a different lancome product or refund their money? I really don't want anything too dramatic because I usually just go for quite a natural look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I'm sure if you bring it back to Boots and explain and you are nice about it they may allow you to return it for a refund or exchange.

Be nice about it and don't expect anything, if you go in expecting or demanding anything you'll get nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

:o I was looking for the original and I thought the one I got was the original. I haven't used it yet and theres no sticker on it to show that I haven't even opened it. Do you think I can return it? Did the sales assistant say if they gave the customers a different lancome product or refund their money? I really don't want anything too dramatic because I usually just go for quite a natural look.

Oops, no she didn't say anything about exchange or refunds, I took it as they got lots of complaints!

I tried to return a foundation to Boots before, when I brought it home I read a bit more about it on the web and realised it was totally wrong for my skintype. It had the product seal and sellotape still on it but they refused to even exchange it saying you can't return makeup, check the back of the receipt. Add to that the mascara was sale stock and I reckon you have no chance unfortunately... Swap with a friend maybe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

BB cream by MAC..Its like magic you have to try it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

Where can you get the Mac BB cream? I've heard its only available in airports, is that true?

• Advertisement
Advertisement