Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 - Is RGH as good as JTAG?

Options
  • 30-06-2012 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi all

I have a jtagged Falcon that has given me the E71 error for the second time in a year, so it might be time to retire it.

If I get a new slim Xbox and get it RGH'ed, will the performance be comparable?

I heard that boot times with RGH can be random or not even boot at all sometimes, for example?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The boot time is the only difference. They accomplish the exact same things - they enable unsigned code to run on an xbox 360.

The other consideration is that Slim drives are still relatively difficult to flash but if I'm honest I can't remember the last time I used my DVD drive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Bruno Batista

The boot time is the only difference. They accomplish the exact same things - they enable unsigned code to run on an xbox 360.

The other consideration is that Slim drives are still relatively difficult to flash but if I'm honest I can't remember the last time I used my DVD drive :)

Wouldn't plan on using the DVD drive anyways, I have my sturdy external HD for that!
    (I assume I can still run stuff from an external USB, right?)

Wouldn't plan on using the DVD drive anyways, I have my sturdy external HD for that!
    (I assume I can still run stuff from an external USB, right?)

Of course. Like I said, when it comes to what the RGH and JTAG do there is no difference :)

Of course. Like I said, when it comes to what the RGH and JTAG do there is no difference :)

:cool:

TO THE SHOPPINGMOBILE!

Anyone in Dublin city who can RGH a console this afternoon? :D

:cool:

TO THE SHOPPINGMOBILE!

Anyone in Dublin city who can RGH a console this afternoon? :D

Be careful now, a little more research wouldn't hurt :) You're going to end up buying a Corona-revision slim, and that can't be RGH'd yet.

You also have two several options with a compatible console:

1) RGH with a DemoN. The DemoN allows you to have a dual-nand solution, so you can go on xbox live and then at the flick of a switch swap over to a hacked version of the xbox to run your homebrew code.

2) RGH without DemoN. This is just like your JTAG, once it's done you can't go on Live.

And finally, do not update your console to the latest Dashboard (15722) without glitching it beforehand. If you do (e.g. by playing a very new game or hooking it up to xbox live) then you will kill the RGH and it can't be done.

• Advertisement

Be careful now, a little more research wouldn't hurt :) You're going to end up buying a Corona-revision slim, and that can't be RGH'd yet.

You also have two several options with a compatible console:

1) RGH with a DemoN. The DemoN allows you to have a dual-nand solution, so you can go on xbox live and then at the flick of a switch swap over to a hacked version of the xbox to run your homebrew code.

2) RGH without DemoN. This is just like your JTAG, once it's done you can't go on Live.

And finally, do not update your console to the latest Dashboard (15722) without glitching it beforehand. If you do (e.g. by playing a very new game or hooking it up to xbox live) then you will kill the RGH and it can't be done.

Ah, poop.
    Trinity (June 2010) Xbox 360 Slim (also known as version 5)  

45 nm XCGPU
        135 Watt power supply / 12V rated 10.83A  OR
         120 Watt power supply 12V rated 9.86A, but back of console says 10.83A   <----- ADDED
       These motherboard are currently supported by the Xbox 360 Reset Glitch Hack!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Corona (August 2011) Xbox 360 Slim (also known as version 6)    

45 nm XCGPU
        120 Watt power supply / 12V rated 9.86A
       This motherboard is currently not supported by the Xbox 360 Reset Glitch Hack due to missing HANA chip

Easy Way To Determine If Your Slim Is RGH, Is Look At The Output Voltage On Power Pack.
          135 Watt power supply / 12V rated 10.83A = YES   
             12V rated 9.86A, but back of console says 10.83A  = YES   
          120 Watt power supply / 12V rated 9.86A = NO   

Guess this won't be as easy as I thought...

Ah, poop.

Guess this won't be as easy as I thought...

Buy a second hand one that's newish? You're going to be voiding the warranty anyway and you can ask the seller to check it out before you head out to meet 'em and see it working :) Alternatively, wait :P

Would there be any point in getting my Falcon's E71 fixed or should I just go ahead and buy a new one?
    I thought Jtagged xboxes weren't even supposed to get E71s!

Hah, I only saw the original problem there - thought it was an E74 for some reason; going to blame the beer :rolleyes:

An E71 is a failed dashboard update or a corrupted dash. I'm guessing you can't boot into Xell either via the eject button? It's easily fixed for JTAGs and doesn't take all that long, maybe 30-40 minutes total including disassembly/reassembly. Anybody who offers a JTAG/RGH service should be able to help, take a look at the services sticky to find people in your area :)

Nevermind, I just doublechecked and seems *I* have the beer eyes, it is indeed a E74!

• Advertisement

Nevermind, I just doublechecked and seems *I* have the beer eyes, it is indeed a E74!

Yeah, an E74 needs a reflow or a reball. There are guys who will do it for you in the services thread, costs should be up there. It's up to yourself on whether or not you want to go for it - if it were me I'd consider it the main option because an RGH is about €75 on top of the price of the new console. A reball (the best possible fix) is probably ~€75 so you can save the price of the new console. They usually come with a 3 month+ warranty too, so what harm. If it ever breaks again you can revisit the slim option, Corona's will probably be hackable by then

Yeah, an E74 needs a reflow or a reball. There are guys who will do it for you in the services thread, costs should be up there. It's up to yourself on whether or not you want to go for it - if it were me I'd consider it the main option because an RGH is about €75 on top of the price of the new console. A reball (the best possible fix) is probably ~€75 so you can save the price of the new console. They usually come with a 3 month+ warranty too, so what harm. If it ever breaks again you can revisit the slim option, Corona's will probably be hackable by then

Cheers, man, think I'll go for that one alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Corona (August 2011) Xbox 360 Slim (also known as version 6)

45 nm XCGPU
    120 Watt power supply / 12V rated 9.86A
    This motherboard is currently not supported by the Xbox 360 Reset Glitch Hack due to missing HANA chip

Can anyone confirm that this is no longer the case? corona can be RGH'd

As far as I can tell from some reading this morning, the only systems that can't be glitched as of 14th July 2012 is any system running dash >= 2.0.15572.0

When the Coolrunner 3 hits it'll be easier, but yes with a CR 1 or 2 you can glitch corona boards.

At the minute that dash is an RGH killer for all consoles.

Advertisement