Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about sending this PC back to hardwareversand

Options
  • 30-06-2012 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hey, I got a custom built PC from Hardwareversand the other day. It was assembled by them, so I figured all the hard ware was put together properly. The only thing that was not attached were the antenna for the wireless card. So I screwed them on and turned on the pc. But when I went to install the driver for the wireless card it asks me to insert the wireless card. I cheched the back and the little green light on the card is not on.

Also, every couple of minutes the screen has a greenish tint on it. I am thinking the GPU was damaged in the shipping.

At this stage I'm so frustrated I am considering just shipping it back to them and getting my money back. Has anyone ever done this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lukasbolander

EDIT: Image fail sorry

This is what it looks like. Every few minutes this happens. If I plug in and out the HDMI cable it fixes it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

imag0323-jpg.10074

This is what it looks like. Every few minutes this happens. If I plug in and out the HDMI cable it fixes it

I'm having trouble seeing the image.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Image is private to IGN members who are logged in, host it on boards or imgur etc.

IMAG0323.jpg

There it is.

It goes like this every 10-20 minutes and I have to plug out and in the HDMI cable to get it back to normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

That looks like whatever is being used to connect the graphics card too the monitor is not connected properly somewhere or flawed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You get the same kind of effect on mine by forcing the screen to full RGB, I'd say check pixel format settings first off. Then a new HDMI cable.

ED E wrote: »
    You get the same kind of effect on mine by forcing the screen to full RGB, I'd say check pixel format settings first off. Then a new HDMI cable.

I switched the cable with the one I use for my PS3 and the same thing happened.

What would you suggest to do with the pixel format setting?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭GS540

I don't think this is a graphics card issue to be honest, I think its the monitor. If you have another monitor laying around or even a tv try connect it to that to see if you get the same problem.

GS540 wrote: »
    I don't think this is a graphics card issue to be honest, I think its the monitor. If you have another monitor laying around or even a tv try connect it to that to see if you get the same problem.
    The monitor is a TV, when it happens you can change to other channels and the colours are fine.

woah thats really strange. Have you tried re installing your graphics drivers?

• Advertisement

GS540 wrote: »
    woah thats really strange. Have you tried re installing your graphics drivers?

Yeah I installed them and then re installed.

I like the PC a lot and it's brilliant at running games, but this is annoying me. I'll probably ring the company on Monday and see if they have any suggestions.

yeah i understand it can be a real pain in the ass

Are you using a HDMI from the computer to the TV?

I really think its the TV thats that problem. See how the corners of the desktop dont fit with the corners of TV you would only ever really get that on a TV. I think you should really get a proper monitor to be honest.

I use one like this and its fantastic. http://bit.ly/MJ9tDm Really cheap too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭keithb93

The same thing happens to my laptop when I connect it to my tv with a vga cable. I have no idea what causes it but it usually go to normal when I wriggle the cable around in the laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Is everthign seated properly - thats a classic lose connection... somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

When you say you plug the HDMI cable in and out to resolve it, is it from the monitors end or the PC? If its the PC maybe the GPU is after coming loose in transit? Try reseating the GPU. Just take it out and plug it back into the MOBO.

Is everthign seated properly - thats a classic lose connection... somewhere.
    Like something inside?

..Brian.. wrote: »
    When you say you plug the HDMI cable in and out to resolve it, is it from the monitors end or the PC? If its the PC maybe the GPU is after coming loose in transit? Try reseating the GPU. Just take it out and plug it back into the MOBO.

You can plug it out of either end and once you plug it back in the picture resets

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Nagin

Ya looks like a loose cable. My cpu at word looks like that when the vga to the monitor is loose.

Just a side note, Id always open up a cpu (custom or not) to check is everything wired up and well in place before first booting up. I just got a custom pc from HVS, it has 3 fans in it and only hooked up. For a cpu thats going to be a server than wont do.

It was a simple fix but now its something Ill always check, it could of been put together perfectly but anything can happen in transit and I also have little faith in couriers treating packages as if they are their own

What I'm thinking is that at some point there is a loss of information between the PC and the TV. By plugging in and out the cable I reset the connection between them and therefore it goes back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Yakuza42

I agree with the above comments relating to a problem with the monitor / tv.
    Considering you are having other minor problems when connecting the laptop to the tv, and that there is small chances of having two faulty HDMI cables, I am certain that it your problem is assosiated with the TV. Does any other device work with the TV via HDMI? (PS3, Xbox etc.) If not, it could be the HDMI socket in the TV, maybe you could try another connection, DVI etc.

Hope any of that helps. :)

• Advertisement

Going to try using an old monitor and see if it happens on that. I doubt it will.

What should my next move be guys?

I don't have a monitor that I can plug into the graphics card to see if it would work.

I'm considering buying a monitor because from the responses here we have narrowed it down to a problem with using the TV as a monitor.

If anyone has any suggestions of good monitors around €200 I'd be happy to listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Do you have any other PC's on the network that you could use to install TightVNC on and VNC onto your new pc from that, if everything displays ok when you do you will know its the monitor then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

What should my next move be guys?

I don't have a monitor that I can plug into the graphics card to see if it would work.

I'm considering buying a monitor because from the responses here we have narrowed it down to a problem with using the TV as a monitor.

If anyone has any suggestions of good monitors around €200 I'd be happy to listen.

where are you located? Perhaps a boardsie could pop over with a monitor for testing? I'm near Portlaoise if you're in that area I can drop over with a monitor.

JackieChan wrote: »
    where are you located? Perhaps a boardsie could pop over with a monitor for testing? I'm near Portlaoise if you're in that area I can drop over with a monitor.
    Wow that is very nice of you to offer.

I'm in South Tipperary unfourtunately, :(

If there is anyone around the Clonmel / Carrick on Suir area that has a monitor and would help me test it that would be great.

Advertisement