Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree stump as workbench base - mad or inspired?

Options
  • 30-06-2012 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

I've a tree out the back garden which is growing exactly where my new shed is going to go. So, the tree will be coming down.

Someone suggested that I might use the stump of the tree as the support for a workbench/table in the shed. I'm not sure if this is patently stupid (the tree will grow again) or actually really clever (strong base for workbench).

Has anyone ever tried this or got any ideas about how it might work out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I wouldn't be keen. Either the tree stays alive which is unlikely given the lack of branches & light or it dies & rots. But having seen the legs of a workbench break through a wooden shed floor I would either put a slab under the floor or extend the legs through the floor & into some concrete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Get rid of it, it'll only cause you problems in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Thanks both. Appreciate the words of experience & wisdom!

Now, I'd best read up on how to remove as much of the stump as possible. By the by, if you happen to know a link that would help with that, it'd be appreciated.

Looks like it may be best to call in a professional - if anyone has any recommendations for a tree remover in south Dublin, I'd take 'em by PM.

cheers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I don't know.
    On one hand, it could be a really good idea because it could be a really solid work surface.
    Against that, if it's not one of the durable woods (oak, cedar and others) then when it dies (and it will, because it will be in the dark and dry), the roots will rot fairly pronto.
    Even if the roots do rot, you might still be left with a sturdy work surface - if the stump has sufficient mass.
    Another downside would be fitting the floor around the stump. Floors come pre-assembled so you would have to cut out in advance and the installers would be tapping their fingers waiting for you.

The reasons for getting rid of the stump probably outweigh the reasons for retaining it, but it would be a novel workbench.

(PM sent)

Advertisement