Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physio- pitch side first Aid

Options
  • 30-06-2012 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi,
    Im a physio student looking to get into sports/team physio. I know its possible to work as a first aider with a team while still in college.

Has anybody gone down this route and can maybe offer me advice about a good pitch side first aid course? or even the best way to go about looking for a team?

Any info appreciated,
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Which uni are you in? UCD have an option for their 4th years to volunteer with various UCD teams. Its a lot of hassle on top of college and work though so make sure you have the time to commit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

runman wrote: »
    Hi,
    Im a physio student looking to get into sports/team physio. I know its possible to work as a first aider with a team while still in college.

Has anybody gone down this route and can maybe offer me advice about a good pitch side first aid course? or even the best way to go about looking for a team?

Any info appreciated,
    Thanks.

I would strongly recommend that you take great care in working with teams as a physio student from a professional point of view. (I assume you are a chartered physio)

Any team of course can have a first aider/medical support on the side of the pitch. This can range from a man with a sponge to a full medical team. This person should have some form of qualification.

Worst case scenario is:
    Heart Attack
    Spinal Injury

Next:
    Fractures etc

Next:
    Bumps and bruises

- this is not an exhaustive list. There are a massive range of injuries that can happen and very dependent on the sport. I'm just making a point.

While I appreciate that you are keen to work with teams, as a team therapist/first aider, your primary responsibility is to your patient. If you are not qualified to offer any form of first aid you should not be on the pitch.

PHECC and IHF run CPR classes.
    There are other 'Sports Traumatology' courses available that included a CPR element - http://www.codeblue.ie/ - these guys are good. Physio students cannot attend these courses if it is run by a physio group.

But if you tell a team that you are a student physio they will expect you to perform the role of a physio ... 'a bit of rub down', 'tape him up there, will you', 'g'wan out there and see if he's alright'. You do not have the competence, skill, experience or supervision to be a therapist without a qualification and insurance and you should not put yourself into a position that this may happen.

I suggest that you go to your club team and ask the therapist can you shadow them. If they're nice they'll be happy to help - they were in the same boat. If they don't let you, try another team - don't despair.

Hope that helps. Patient safety first.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭runman

Thanks for the advice. Im looking for a role as a first aider, and i want to work under somebody. I wont be going it alone and if i am in that position i wont be giving any advice outside of my "first aider" position.

Im looking for as much exposure as possible but only as a first aider.

Still having trouble finding a good course, that's not in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

runman wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. Im looking for a role as a first aider, and i want to work under somebody. I wont be going it alone and if i am in that position i wont be giving any advice outside of my "first aider" position.

Im looking for as much exposure as possible but only as a first aider.

Still having trouble finding a good course, that's not in Dublin.

Well you have your pick of clubs in Limerick (I think thats where you are)

You know, I've been putting together courses for years and I always hear the same thing about courses always being in Dublin. We put courses on down the country and the same thing happens - no uptake. People in Mayo still won't go to Galway, Limerick won't got to Cork etc etc. Since the majority of physios trained in Dublin (I know UL has a course) they are familiar with Dublin - know how to get around and invariably know someone they can stay with. Dublin will always be easier for courses!

Advertisement