Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunleary Vs Dun Laoghaire

Options
  • 30-06-2012 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Why do most people say Dunleary (except for some rte news readers) and mostly write Dun Laoghaire?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

What are you on about? It is pronounced Dun Leary.

Kind of like Drogheda is pronounced Dro-head-a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

The correct pronunciation isn't Dun Leary. I don't know how to phoneticise it though! More like Dun Leer-ah than Dun Leary.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

As the old time hit of the Boomtown Rats "B side" says

D-U-N-L-A-O-G-H-A-I-R-E.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

If you want to pronounce it Doon-Lair-a, feel free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Tragedy wrote: »
    The correct pronunciation isn't Dun Leary. I don't know how to phoneticise it though! More like Dun Leer-ah than Dun Leary.

I suppose your one of those people who says Beaumont Like Boo-mont and not Bow-Mount like everyone else. It's technically incorrect but try getting a taxi to boo-mont or dun lair ahh and see the quizzical look the taxi driver gives you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The correct pronunciation (phonetically) is Doon Layer Ahh.

I have never had any problems with anyone understanding that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I think the reason most people say Dun leary and bow mount is due to having a dublin accent, doesnt need to be a strong accent just a dublin one

that is unless your from D4 and cant pronounce anything right or should i say roish, so like lets get on the dort and go to Doon-Lair-a

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭eirman

I think the gaelgories somehow usurped the English version in broadcast media.

Everyone I know says Dunleary. I have an OS Dublin District map and in has DUNLEARY in caps over the whole area.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭zyndacyclone

I only shorten it for american forms usually, then I use dunlaoire...

american are very rigid about their forms..

I see no reason to use 'dunleary'

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Kingstown

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I suppose your one of those people who says Beaumont Like Boo-mont and not Bow-Mount like everyone else. It's technically incorrect but try getting a taxi to boo-mont or dun lair ahh and see the quizzical look the taxi driver gives you.

Yes, I'm one of 'those people' who try pronounce place names correctly. Sorry for offending you!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Who is to say which way is correct? Is it correct to pronounce names the way people know them, most names in Ireland are anglicied versions of the original Irish name, so by putting on a British or French pronouncation ate you not actually incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Yiz are all forgetting the Fada in 'Dún', so yiz are all wrong. ;)

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭zyndacyclone

eirman wrote: »
    Why do most people say Dunleary (except for some rte news readers) and mostly write Dun Laoghaire?

I was 17, my first trip alone in Europe. On the return trip, I wanted two trips to Dublin, via Dun Laogharie. I wrote down what I wanted and showed it to the french agent. She asked me if I wanted to go to Doon LOG Hair. I politely corrected her. She told me that she had studied Irish in college in France and that that was the correct pronounciation. When I corrected her, she re-informed me that she was correct that she had studied gaelic in university.

At that point, her supervisor, who actually SPOKE english as opposed to having STUDIED it, kicked in and told her to shut the **** up.

The point being, it's not an obvious pronunciation or spelling, so give them a break....unless they correct you on the grounds that they've studied it in the Sorbonne..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If you're speaking english its Dun Laoghaire, pronounced dunleary. To call or spell the whole area Dun Leary is wrong, as only the area at the Purty Kitchen junction is officially called Old Dunleary referring back to an ancient anglicisation courtesy of the local gentry in that neck of the woods.

If you're speaking Irish its Dún Laoghaire, pronounced Doon Lee-ar-ah. Dún Laoire has no official standing, its a bastardisation probably used to save money on sign writing

And for our friend from Beaumont, its neither Boo-mont nor Bow-mount, its Bow-mont, listen to Fergal Bowers when he talks about the Hospital on da telly

Good response Larbre34, however, this bit doesn't really make sense ....
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    If you're speaking english its Dun Laoghaire, pronounced dunleary.

Here's a scan of an older OS Dublin district map ..... before the gaelgorries infiltrated the OS office (just like they have now done with Garmin)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Here's a scan of an older OS Dublin district map ..... before the gaelgorries infiltrated the OS office (just like they have now done with Garmin)

Any Idea what year thats from?

Any Idea what year thats from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Dun Laoghaire in written... Dun L in sms, Dun Leary in speech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Good response Larbre34, however, this bit doesn't really make sense ....

Yes I shouldve said its written Dun Laoghaire in english, without the ú , and pronounced dunleary

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Dun Laoghaire in written... Dun L in sms, Dun Leary in speech.

or it could be written DL, SMS isn't a language!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I've lost track of what point is trying to be made here. As we all know, language develops and changes over time. There's no such thing as "the official name of a place that will never, ever, ever change, ever." Names may not change for a very long time, but there's no guarantees.

I've a 1946 (or is it 1956) OS map of Dublin which just shows "Dún Laoghaire", with no anglicised spelling. I'm not sure what it proves though. It's a great oul map all the same - whole swathes of high density housing areas are just big fields and old houses.

"DL" says it all. I know a lot of people who refer to "DL" in speech as well as text.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭bridgepeople

Or if you're a local Draw-da, with a little bit if a roll on the r!

Advertisement