Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 dock connector damaged/corroded. Moisture damage. Warranty?

• 30-06-2012 4:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭

Hi.My iPhone 4 stopped charging (working fine until battery went dead), I took it back to the meteor shop. They said it would be fixed free under warranty. 2 weeks later still had heard nothing so I went in and they said that it would cost €180 to fix as the dock port been corroded/damaged by moisture and would be an out of warranty repair.
    Couple of questions. Is this a reasonable price to replace the dock connector? Do I have to take their word for it that it was moisture damage as I do not believe it was atall? Can you think of any other solutions?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

tunedout wrote: »
    Hi.My iPhone 4 stopped charging (working fine until battery went dead), I took it back to the meteor shop. They said it would be fixed free under warranty. 2 weeks later still had heard nothing so I went in and they said that it would cost €180 to fix as the dock port been corroded/damaged by moisture and would be an out of warranty repair.
    Couple of questions. Is this a reasonable price to replace the dock connector? Do I have to take their word for it that it was moisture damage as I do not believe it was atall? Can you think of any other solutions?

Try the apple devices forum, there are some repair guys there.......

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1176

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭Recoil12

Sorry @whiterebel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

Recoil12 wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

. . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-'". . . . . . . . . .``~.,
    . . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ."-.,
    . . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ":,
    . . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
    . . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
    . . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
    . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:". . . ./
    . . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
    . . . . . . . /__.(. . ."~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
    . . . . . . /(_. . "~,_. . . .."~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
    . . . .. .{.._$;_. . ."=,_. . . ."-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~"; /. .. .}
    . . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . ."=-._. . .";,,./`. . /" . . . ./. .. ../
    . . . .. . .\`~,. . .."~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
    . . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-"
    . . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
    . . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
    ,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
    . .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _

:p:D

^^Very helpful, this thread was moved the Mobiles/PDAs forum,

How long have you had the phone OP?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

aoshea83 wrote: »
    ^^Very helpful, this thread was moved the Mobiles/PDAs forum,

How long have you had the phone OP?

Hi. Thanks. I have had the phone since June/July 2011. Just around 1 year now. I can't think if it's more or less than 1 year - it's around that, prob should have asked them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

If it's water damaged then it wont be covered by apple even if was under warranty.

I do know that the 30 pin connector is a separate component and is attached to the main body by ribbon unlike the iPod classic's connection which is actually part of the logic board.

If you're feeling adventures you could order the part online and replace it yourself! Here is a quick rundown on taking an iPhone apart:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-4-Teardown/3130/1

€180 seems fierce expensive. Try hitting up CathalDublin http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=72771

He fixes apple products, might be worth a PM to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭Recoil12

I would agree with aoshea83,replacing the part yourself isn't that hard and when the part can be bought for 7euro(http://www.ebay.ie/itm/iPHONE-4-CHARGER-DATA-DOCK-PORT-CONNECTOR-FLEX-/200619791009?pt=UK_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2eb5df12a1),I cant see how labor costs would be 170.If you aren't confident about the fix,take aoshea83's advice and contact CathalDublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 andros55

Wow €180 to replace the dock connector, so rip off Ireland hasn't gone away,you can buy this part for around €6 or €7 and thats with postage, you could do it yourself but you have to take the hole phone apart to get the dock connector out, be careful with the screws as there is a few different sizes especially the two long ones don't get them mixed up as to where they go.
    I do a lot of phone repairs, especially iPhone repairs and i wouldn't even charge half of what they are asking for this work

Advertisement