Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Australia -No Trade

Options
  • 30-06-2012 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hey guys about 6 of my friends moved over to Perth around a month ago ,some got jobs some still have not.

Me and another guy are thinking about going to Melbourn perhaps. I havn't got a trade like him but im trying to get as many things to go over with before I do like heavy trucks driving licence (C) Security guarding licence , Comptia A+ exam. Getting some experience in a bar. They the things I am working on so far.

Does any one know of any more things I could do in Ireland that I could bring in oz.

I realise I have no degrees or trades but can anyone offer some useful advice?

-Just to add, the guys that went over ,only one guy had the heavy truck licence and got a job, the rest had nothing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

I wouldn't bother wasting my time getting a rigid licence here as it won't be recognised in Australia as far as I know.
    A heavy rigid licence is a 2-3day course in Perth and cost about $1200 test included, not sure what kinda money you could make driving a truck. But as far as I know once you have your rigid licence you can go straight away for your Artic licence, rumour has it that there is good money to be made up north driving the road trains servicing the mines up there. Once you have your rigid licence you can then go ahead and get your different machinery tickets, Excavator, Bobcat, Backhoe etc. these cost about $6-700 ea.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Loads of bar and restaurant work in Melbourne. If you have experience you'll have no problem getting work. Money is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 minsbarron

I agree Markymark. All our housemates are in hospitality & some are working 60 hour weeks in some places. No shortage in hospitality work. Seen jobs advertised for till staff in Woolworths in South Melbourne too. Also jobs in Subway. Loadsa jobs here, just depends what you want to do. I'm a legal secretary & had a job secured within 3 days of landing. My Fiance was working on his 3rd day of landing, he's a panel beater. He had been talking with them a lot before he left though. Talking to Carpenters and Plumbers out here, work is light on the ground I've heard. Take the plunge mate, Melbourne weather isn't great at the moment but I'd be steering well clear of Perth if that's where your mates are as all you'll be doing with them is propping up the bar, while your looking for work of course! We could have went to Perth & Sydney to friends but instead we came to Melbourne where we know nobody & we won't be lead astray by all weekend sessions. Haven't been drunk since we got here 5 weeks ago and the savings are starting to roll in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Liamu2

minsbarron wrote: »
    I agree Markymark. All our housemates are in hospitality & some are working 60 hour weeks in some places. No shortage in hospitality work. Seen jobs advertised for till staff in Woolworths in South Melbourne too. Also jobs in Subway. Loadsa jobs here, just depends what you want to do. I'm a legal secretary & had a job secured within 3 days of landing. My Fiance was working on his 3rd day of landing, he's a panel beater. He had been talking with them a lot before he left though. Talking to Carpenters and Plumbers out here, work is light on the ground I've heard. Take the plunge mate, Melbourne weather isn't great at the moment but I'd be steering well clear of Perth if that's where your mates are as all you'll be doing with them is propping up the bar, while your looking for work of course! We could have went to Perth & Sydney to friends but instead we came to Melbourne where we know nobody & we won't be lead astray by all weekend sessions. Haven't been drunk since we got here 5 weeks ago and the savings are starting to roll in now.

Thanks for that reply, i know two girls over there who will possibly will have a house by the time i will be going so that should help.

sponge_bob wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother wasting my time getting a rigid licence here as it won't be recognised in Australia as far as I know.
    A heavy rigid licence is a 2-3day course in Perth and cost about $1200 test included, not sure what kinda money you could make driving a truck. But as far as I know once you have your rigid licence you can go straight away for your Artic licence, rumour has it that there is good money to be made up north driving the road trains servicing the mines up there. Once you have your rigid licence you can then go ahead and get your different machinery tickets, Excavator, Bobcat, Backhoe etc. these cost about $6-700 ea.

Are you sure the rigid licence isnt recoginised in oz?

Advertisement