Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair Dye Question

• 30-06-2012 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

I bought a Boots Botanics semi-permanent dye last week in a nice auburn colour. However, I don't think I left it in long enough because it didn't really turn out great. The box said to leave in for up to 20 minutes and I only left it in for 15 or so. It still looked nice, but not what I'd been expecting and it's already faded. Would it be safe to put it in again this week or next? My hair's in good condition at the moment.

Also, very stupid question and one I should probably already be aware of I know, but when it says to leave in for a certain time, does it mean from the moment you start applying the dye, or from when you finish? :o

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 dazzledust88

I think the best thing is to get the shampoo and conditioner for coloured hair, as pantene, head and shoulders and a few others tend to strip it a lil making it very dull.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

dove colour conditioner and shampoo are good or loreal elvive colour protect,all very good ones to use,there are some cheaper shops own brands that could be just as good,did you ever try superdrug?they always have good offers ,thats if you have a superdrug near you..
    i went in to the local pound shop the otherday(eurozone)and they have some good deals on loreal shampoos,try there aswell.

I would reccommend putting in a hair dye straight away i would say wait 2 -3 weeks before doing that,as the peroxide(if its peroxide based) can really build up strong and make your hair weak..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 dazzledust88

dove colour conditioner and shampoo are good or loreal elvive colour protect,all very good ones to use,there are some cheaper shops own brands that could be just as good,did you ever try superdrug?they always have good offers ,thats if you have a superdrug near you..
    i went in to the local pound shop the otherday(eurozone)and they have some good deals on loreal shampoos,try there aswell.

I would reccommend putting in a hair dye straight away i would say wait 2 -3 weeks before doing that,as the peroxide(if its peroxide based) can really build up strong and make your hair weak..

I found dove products to be very drying.... good for skin, just not hair :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Bambii_

It would be safe to dye it again as soon as you want :) Just make sure you look after your hair since your dying it. I would invest in a good hair mask and use it frequently (Most suggest once a wee, but if you find your hair drying out you can use it more some weeks). Since your using semi-dye, the colour nearly never comes out as vibrant as it is on the box, but that also depends on your hair colour to begin with. I would suggest you use colour protect shampoo and conditioner. It will help keep your hair healthy and help the dye stick to your hair longer. Semi dye fades incredibly fast, so if your looking for long lasting colour I would recommend you start using permanent dye. Boots have their own brand permanent dye too, I use it and i find it great.

As for timing, I start timing after the dye is applied, and for boots I add an extra 10-15 minutes (The extra time generally makes it darker so if your going a light colour don't add extra time).

If you do decide to switch to permanent dye make sure you do a patch test behind your ear. Permanent dye has more ingredients than semi, and you could be allergic to one of them, and an allergic reaction is not pretty or fun in any way and can be lethal, so please make sure you do the allergy test, don't just presume you be ok because its the same brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Thanks for all the advice everyone :) I have colour protect shampoo and conditioner but I just didn't use it after the last application because I wanted it to fade a little so that it could be re-applied. Bought another box today so I'll see how it goes!
    Bambii_ wrote: »
    It would be safe to dye it again as soon as you want :) Just make sure you look after your hair since your dying it. I would invest in a good hair mask and use it frequently (Most suggest once a wee, but if you find your hair drying out you can use it more some weeks). Since your using semi-dye, the colour nearly never comes out as vibrant as it is on the box, but that also depends on your hair colour to begin with. I would suggest you use colour protect shampoo and conditioner. It will help keep your hair healthy and help the dye stick to your hair longer. Semi dye fades incredibly fast, so if your looking for long lasting colour I would recommend you start using permanent dye. Boots have their own brand permanent dye too, I use it and i find it great.

As for timing, I start timing after the dye is applied, and for boots I add an extra 10-15 minutes (The extra time generally makes it darker so if your going a light colour don't add extra time).

If you do decide to switch to permanent dye make sure you do a patch test behind your ear. Permanent dye has more ingredients than semi, and you could be allergic to one of them, and an allergic reaction is not pretty or fun in any way and can be lethal, so please make sure you do the allergy test, don't just presume you be ok because its the same brand.

Thanks for the really detailed response :) The reason I use semi-permanent is just because I like a small change for a little while, I don't want to be dealing with re-growth and the like! So I should start timing 20 minutes from the time that all the dye has been applied to my hair? I think that was one of my big mistakes last time too, I started timing from the moment I started applying it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement