Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing new dogs

• 30-06-2012 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

HELP!!!! Im in somewhat of a pickle. I have two mini jack russels that are almost 2 yrs old, and during the week my daughter found a beagle puppy thats approx 6 mnths old. we put up flyers in the area, notified the gardai and brought him to the vets but hes not micr-chipped and there hasnt been any contact from anybody to claim him. Hes a lovely little docile thing, and real friendly so if no-one claims him we are thinking of keeping him. So heres my problem, we introduced him to the female jack, and although she was nervous and barking, she wasnt attacking him, she did let off some warning growls and nipped him when he was too full on but other than that she seemed ok. Maverick (the male) on the other hand was awful, he kept barking and lunging at him, snapping at his nose and trying to bite his privates (the two jacks are neutered, beagle is not). I really would like to keep him, but not at the expense of the happiness of our other two, any hints or tips on what to do here. Even when he was being bitten he didnt react at all, any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Did you also notify the dog warden?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 carliebaby1

Why would I notify the dog warden, he'd just take him to the pound to be put down in a week. Previous experince talking here, they didnt take the information to pass it on the last time, they just came and took the dog. As it wasnt mine and I didnt have a licence for it they took it to the pound and that was that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Is there any voluntary animal rescue in your area? Even in the next county.they could advise you and try and find another foster home for him. Where are you based? I had same problem with my jack Russell and a stray at Christmas. He attacked the poor female any chance he got,she was totally submissive but that wasn't enough to stop him.animal rescue found another foster for her after a few days as wasn't fair on her being bullied. I tried water spray, giving treats when she was around.he had a bone constantly in his mouth to distract him. Animal rescues in cork anyway are fabulous support so thy your local one. And glad you're not contacting the warden!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

• Registered Users Posts: 8 carliebaby1

aww, no Im in kildare.
    Thanks for the advice, we're gonna try again tomorro, hopefully things will settle, hes a little sweetie. the others had a good smell round the room when he was brought for walkies, so hopefully that will get them used to it too. We also have 3 cats that have to adapt too, we started with two, and then got a male, he used to chase the girls around and torment them but thats settled down now thank christ, we'll give it another day or two :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement