Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virus Wiped 'My Documents' and 'My Pictures'

• 30-06-2012 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Looking for help folks,

I've lost all the documents and pictures off my parents PC. I was in the process of removing a virus (which is since gone I think), when everything got wiped!

Ive gone into My Computer, Tools, View and tried to click the 'show hidden files' icon, but it wont stay clicked on it. When I click back it has changed back to 'hide all files'.

Does anyone know how I might retrieve these files if they are still on the PC?

Many thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

try a restore point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Did you reboot after removing the virus? If you did and the files still remain hidden then the virus probably hasn't been completely removed.

Are you logged on as an administrator when you click show hidden files?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Look in your antivirus "quarantine" folder. Note these may still be infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 astras

Thanks for the replies:

The virus was on it last year in March, , and when i went to reboot/restore it a couple of months later (the PC is not used much) it wouldnt let me go back before when the virus may have come on to the PC.

The PC has been switched off since, an it is only in the last few weeks Ive tried to get her going again.

Tried to do the unhide stuff mentioned on the 'bleepingcomputer' link, but it didnt work.

Have since reinstalled AVG and ran scans which are clear. but I cant seem to be able to install Malwarebytes for some reason.

Anyway Im stuck now as to how to get these Pics and documents back. Any further suggestions would be helpful, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

astras wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies:

The virus was on it last year in March, , and when i went to reboot/restore it a couple of months later (the PC is not used much) it wouldnt let me go back before when the virus may have come on to the PC.

The PC has been switched off since, an it is only in the last few weeks Ive tried to get her going again.

Tried to do the unhide stuff mentioned on the 'bleepingcomputer' link, but it didnt work.

Have since reinstalled AVG and ran scans which are clear. but I cant seem to be able to install Malwarebytes for some reason.

Anyway Im stuck now as to how to get these Pics and documents back. Any further suggestions would be helpful, thanks.

Kill it with fire. Scatter the ashes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

You still have a virus, possibly a rootkit causing the crap to remain. Your files are very likely just hidden so don't worry yet, a bootable rescue disc scan may help with killing the rootkit (like Kaspersky) and then install MBAM, update and run it to clear up. You should also run Super Anti Spyware free for a second option.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Have you tried installing malwarebytes in safemode ? it should install. looks like the virus is blocking malwarebytes so try installing it in safemode with networking and if it installs it can update itself with networking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mossy464

zenno wrote: »
    Have you tried installing malwarebytes in safemode ? it should install. looks like the virus is blocking malwarebytes so try installing it in safemode with networking and if it installs it can update itself with networking.

Yeah, I had a similar virus to this before and booting into safe mode using MBAM to remove it solved the problem.

Only pain was I had to change the files/folders from hidden to unhidden afterwards. Think I used some free program to do that though so wasnt too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

If the pictures actually got deleted then you could use a recovery program like recuva to search for the pics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 paddybongo

Try Rkill download all the Rkill files to find which one works,some malweare might recognize some of them and not let you run it,but one of them will work,when finished DON'T RESTART PC download malwerebytes update it do a full system scan and fix every thing it finds.;)

www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/

Advertisement