Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Store Security System Recommendations

Options
  • 30-06-2012 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭

I must set up a few security cameras in a small store. The store has a small room in the back which can't be monitored properly from the counter so the main usage will be during opening hours so night vision and motion detection are not necessities. Ideally you should be able to sit at the counter with a screen watching the back room and have the ability to record and playback footage.

Would a system like this be the best option and value for money and is this particular kit any good? Obviously the 4 cameras are alot but they could be put to good use. How would a webcam in the back room connecting to a computer at the counter with security software compare?

What about the Lidl/Aldi Kits, not sure when they are back in stock but would they be the best value option or a waste of money?

The back room is quite small (approx 3 metres * 3 metres) so the camera needs to be able to focus clearly on objects close to it.

The job needs to be cheap and effective and the argos kit is more a less out of stock all over Ireland unfortunately.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 homelogic.ie

All of mentioned solutions will work for you, assuming that quality/resolution of recording is not a priority. I would suggest to go with a set - cameras and DVR if this is a DIY job. Web/IP cameras may be used, but you need PC, software and hard drive space; proper setup may be also a struggle and I don't think this will work out much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

All of mentioned solutions will work for you, assuming that quality/resolution of recording is not a priority. I would suggest to go with a set - cameras and DVR if this is a DIY job. Web/IP cameras may be used, but you need PC, software and hard drive space; proper setup may be also a struggle and I don't think this will work out much cheaper.

Any recommendation of a suitable set?
    What exactly do you mean when you say "assuming that quality/resolution of recording is not a priority. I would suggest to go with a set". Is it simply you won't get a set with good quality/resolution for that kind of money?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 homelogic.ie

tvercetti wrote: »
    Any recommendation of a suitable set?
    What exactly do you mean when you say "assuming that quality/resolution of recording is not a priority. I would suggest to go with a set". Is it simply you won't get a set with good quality/resolution for that kind of money?

By "set" I meant a "kit" containing cameras and DVR - something like a Samsung kit here http://www.cctvireland.ie/ . In general you get what you are paying for, so cheap systems have focal lenses in cameras, low resolution and they may poorly operate in low light level environment. You have to be careful where to place camera (no varifocal lens), and a size of hard drive is often small. I would suggest to visit some electrical wholesalers, they often have deals on CCTV kits and sometimes a demo kit so you can see yourself what you are buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

By "set" I meant a "kit" containing cameras and DVR - something like a Samsung kit here http://www.cctvireland.ie/ . In general you get what you are paying for, so cheap systems have focal lenses in cameras, low resolution and they may poorly operate in low light level environment. You have to be careful where to place camera (no varifocal lens), and a size of hard drive is often small. I would suggest to visit some electrical wholesalers, they often have deals on CCTV kits and sometimes a demo kit so you can see yourself what you are buying.

Thanks but not along the lines of what I'm looking for, the budget is tight, the objective is to monitor a room the size of an en-suite bathroom during opening hours. Any other feature would be useful but not a necessity.

Advertisement