Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to become a vet?! CAO help!

• 30-06-2012 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all,
    Hope someone can help! Finding it majorly hard to fill out my CAO, can't decide which course to put where etc. I've always wanted to become a vet but i always knew i wouldn't get the points, what's the best course to do to get in the graduate entry? I'm juggling with Science at trinity, science at ucd and agricultural science in ucd. What course would best be suited for graduate entry? Is there any other ways to Veterinary?
    In relation to the science courses would you choose ucd or trinity?
    Sorry for all the questions i'm just finding it so hard to put them into order!
    Any help greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

A friend of mine is in a similar situation to you

He has vetinery medicine 1, ag science in ucd 2 and ag science in tralee IT 3. As far as i know they are the only courses he has down, no general sciences.

He wont get vetinery medicine, but he thinks that he will still be able to become a vet by doing ag science so long as he gets a decent degree and shows he has worked hard throughout the 4 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iMMer5ion

Could you get into Vet Med after getting a Vet Nursing Degree? Or is it specifically Biological/Biomedical Degrees? The UCD prospectus also says through an Animal Science degree, so I presume Vet Nursing is suitable, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Hi,
    Just to answer your question about getting into veterinary. Ag science is not the best route. A science background is better esp one with micro biology or medicine related etc. Vet nursing is also a good route but probably not as good as mircobiology & pharm. They prefer courses that cover chemistry, detailed biology, pharm etc.

I know this because my partner is a vet, i work in a clinic, and see loads od students every year, and the only grad entry students we have seen are microbolgy, pharm, a good generally science degree etc. It's competitive and a tough course, so I doubt ag science would be overly suitable

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kathryn 95

borrch wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just to answer your question about getting into veterinary. Ag science is not the best route. A science background is better esp one with micro biology or medicine related etc. Vet nursing is also a good route but probably not as good as mircobiology & pharm. They prefer courses that cover chemistry, detailed biology, pharm etc.

I know this because my partner is a vet, i work in a clinic, and see loads od students every year, and the only grad entry students we have seen are microbolgy, pharm, a good generally science degree etc. It's competitive and a tough course, so I doubt ag science would be overly suitable

thank you so much! I've put ag science down as my last choice now and have put the 2 science courses on top :) hopefully i'll be offered a place! :D really appreciate all your help!

Advertisement