Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE weather; length of Broadcasts very short

Options
  • 30-06-2012 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭

Maybe this was been brought up before I don't know.

But RTE weather broadcasts are very short and there are no zoom-ins on the regions.

I timed the broadcast the day after floods and it was just two minutes long
    and they flew thru it.

I first noticed this during the extreme bad winters we where having
    when I was trying to get accurate weather for my region on what the weather would be the next day.

Blink and you would miss it.
    Do you think RTE weather broadcasts are too short and not focused on regional weather.

I think RTE weather broadcasts should be longer
    at the very least they should be extended during extreme weather events

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

I agree. During drivetime on weekdays Mary Wilson usually says "....at a minute to six its time to go over to met eireann for a weather forecast....". That means met eir has 60 seconds. way too short. Especially when this is the only time of day I have to get a good summary of irish news/weather. BBC R4 split the frequencies for weather at 5.55pm and devote the 3.5 to 4 mins on LW for a shipping forecast. Seems a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Organic Cavity

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Jesus. that was a joke. could she really have givin the weather report any faster. Met eireann need to have a serious look at their weather reports

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

What makes you think its MET E. and not that shining beacon of light we call RTE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I have noticed more than once that Evelyn Cusack has been cut off in mid sentence when giving a forecast so they must definitely be on a time limit set by RTE. I think that RTE feel that 2 minutes is an adequate time for a forecast as they probably presume that most people watching only want to know whether it will rain or not which is fair enough, but dedicating just 2 minutes to an essential forecast, which is then usual followed by a 5 min ad break sort of doesn't make sense - to me at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There should be at one detailed forecast (5 mins) every evening pref 6.01 News and that should also be rotated on News Now for the rest of the evening/overnight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

In college, we had a week of lectures and practical sessions with Gerard Fleming and Evelyn and the length of the forecasts have absolutely nothing to do with Met Éireann. They're given a slot after the news and it's a max of 2 minutes or so. After two minutes, they're cut off whether they're finished or not.

It's very very difficult to get enough information about the weather over the next few days in just two minutes. Believe me, I tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I have noticed more than once that Evelyn Cusack has been cut off in mid sentence when giving a forecast so they must definitely be on a time limit set by RTE. I think that RTE feel that 2 minutes is an adequate time for a forecast as they probably presume that most people watching only want to know whether it will rain or not which is fair enough, but dedicating just 2 minutes to an essential forecast, which is then usual followed by a 5 min ad break sort of doesn't make sense - to me at least.

They don't make any money during the weather forecast, simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭pauldry

rte reckon if the weather is spectacular enough they can put it in the news like snowfalls, storms, floods e.g. plastic sheeting can report from cork with his hands folded in a triangle

weather forecasts will get their 2 minutes slot thereafter.

anything more is too much. like if the weather was say 3 minutes long and then you had a week of cloudy dry weather, what would you say. ehm its still cloudy ...and dry..nice day...did you enter the boards weather contest?...the budget looks tough this year....nice weather..see ye now..good luck..god bless..have a nice day ...still a minute left...a fortnights time we might see more showers.

Its just so extreme these days you think you need a longer forecast but apart from a section of the population most people just want tomorrow will be wet/dry

couldnt watch 3 minutes of gerry we can expect murphy

I think I may have said this before but it would be great if RTE did weekly weather show with representatives from the met talking and discussing various aspects of the Irish weather. They have a similar show on the BBC News channel, in which the main presenters from the UK Met Office go into great detail about everyday weather. Very educational and stimulating.

We could replace programs such as 'Winning Streak' with this, because that has to be the most POINTLESS program of all time. All these people winning huge sums of money and they don't actually have to do anything or answer a question to get it! they just sit there and pick a number or a coloured ball and occasionally wave at the camera like a trained monkey.

We need a weather show now! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

For me the RTE weather forecast is very generalised with forecasts like it will raining everywhere when clearly thats never gonna happen or iit will be warm and sunny i prefer the BBC for weather forecasts for Dublin more accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I would love to see a dedicated weather channel on Sky or UPC like they have in the USA. It could be based in the UK and providing Europe wide coverage. A daily weather show fitting a 15minute slot on RTE would be a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I think that if you compare RTE's 2 mins for a small island nation to other much larger countries' national broadcasters' forecasts you'll find that we get much more time per square km.

BBC only have around 2 mins for the whole of the UK. Germany's ARD and ZDF even less, and Italy's RAI, while it does go into regional detail, rarely goes more than 1-2 days ahead in their 2 minutes. These are all countries many times larger than Ireland so I reckon we do quite well in comparison.

Gerry Murphy gave a talk about this at this year's IMS Conference and explained what's involved in trying to balance regional detail with days ahead in the limited time they're alloted by RTE.

RTE weather forecast after the nine news yesterday. I think the way Evelyn Cusack throws in little titbits of the science behind the various weather set ups is pretty neat. This is one of the reasons why I think a weather show would go down great on RTE as most people are interested in the weather in some form or other. Having a dedicated weekly program with representatives from the met discussing what drives the Irish weather would not only be interesting but also educational.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7as2ZrU6zVU&feature=youtu.be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Su Campu wrote: »
    I think that if you compare RTE's 2 mins for a small island nation to other much larger countries' national broadcasters' forecasts you'll find that we get much more time per square km.

BBC only have around 2 mins for the whole of the UK. Germany's ARD and ZDF even less, and Italy's RAI, while it does go into regional detail, rarely goes more than 1-2 days ahead in their 2 minutes. These are all countries many times larger than Ireland so I reckon we do quite well in comparison.

Gerry Murphy gave a talk about this at this year's IMS Conference and explained what's involved in trying to balance regional detail with days ahead in the limited time they're alloted by RTE.

But would it be fair comment Su to say that as an island which is the first stop for weather systems from the atlantic our weather is less predictable and more susceptible to regional variations even over very small distances (such as to obviate the benefit from your time per sq km observation)?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Su Campu wrote: »

To be fair, BBC do have regional channels (BBC NI etc.) which have their own regional news and weather forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

She's brilliant! Any time I see her appear after the 9 News I know I'm in for an education, whereas the other females are more concerned with how they look!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Watched it again this lunch time after one o'clock news

The guy doing it talks non-stop at a very fast pace without pausing for a breath for two minutes.

and we have a COLOR=green]LEVEL 1 Slight risk of extreme event[/COLOR Heavy Rain Warning & Potential Flooding (Friday / Saturday July 6th & 7th)
    On the way,

It just too short, It should be longer it's a ratings winner.
    Whats wrong with RTE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Are presenters even necessary?
    Why cannot they show us the maps with text and audio?
    Save a few bob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

I love how they can't spell to save their lives! Check out the report from after tonight's 6 o'clock news to see what I mean. Its a pretty common occurrence too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I find it infuriating that the RTE forecasts are so generalised & vague - so much so that I no longer bother to watch them. Big computer symbols on a map of Ireland - it's like watching a forecast from the 60's when the magnets used to fall off :D.

The real reason that we don't get a detailed forecast is that they want us to dial their premium rate phone forecast. If too many people start viewing the rainfall radar they will charge for that as well !

We have so much drivel on the news. Surely they could allocate a bit more time to the weather especially as it affects us all & is always a major talking point. Even the extended farming weather on Sunday focuses too much time on the previous week - we know what that was like because we were out in it !. When it comes to the forecast for the week ahead it is rushed & there is no detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Nothing beats Martin King on TV3, much better then Met Eireann

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Weather forecast after the 9pm news this evening was long enough I tell you - presented by the lovely Siobhan - any longer than 2 minutes and I could have done myself a nasty injury! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

You are joking :eek: aren't ya

Discodog wrote: »
    Even the extended farming weather on Sunday focuses too much time on the previous week - we know what that was like because we were out in it !. When it comes to the forecast for the week ahead it is rushed & there is no detail.

I am not a farmer but I'd say that those who are would like some sort of sum up as to what sort of rain fell during the previous week so as they'd know how the coming week's rain would impact on the land and crops and stuff. I think a summary for the week ahead is fair enough, as it is impossible to go into great detail on the weather 3, 4 or 5 days ahead. A summary gives people an idea what to expect, and they can always tune in to later forecasts for more specific details as the days go by. That is how I see it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

I am not happy to say this, but I find weather bulletins in Irish channels terrible compared to BBC or Channel 4 even. It just comes across mumbled up rubbish, with very little logical order of events or anything like that - and sometimes the presenter is talking all slurred as if they are a bit tipsy... Over all I find it really poor quality production with very little actual effort or passion for it.

Anyway, that's just my personal opinion, and I don't claim to be perfect.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Really? I think Evelyn's forecasts are great, informative and educational. She often goes out of here way to explain what, why and how the weather is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭kessler182

RTE weather forecast after the nine news yesterday. I think the way Evelyn Cusack throws in little titbits of the science behind the various weather set ups is pretty neat. This is one of the reasons why I think a weather show would go down great on RTE as most people are interested in the weather in some form or other. Having a dedicated weekly program with representatives from the met discussing what drives the Irish weather would not only be interesting but also educational.

Never even considered that before but in reality it's something i'd actually be interested in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Really? I think Evelyn's forecasts are great, informative and educational. She often goes out of here way to explain what, why and how the weather is happening.

Totally agree. She's the best meteorologist that appears on our screens I think. The maps and information she uses are more detailed than the others and I like how she will sometimes explain meteorological terms. She doesn't dumb things down and is obviously a person that holds science and rationalism in high esteem.

For example remember how after thousands of those brain dead religious pilgrims stared at the sun in Knock a few years ago to see an "apparition", thereby causing cases of irreparable eye damage to some of them :rolleyes:, she calmly explained on the weather forecast after the news that any unusual sun activity had a rational explanation and she went on to explain what that was (hot spots or flairs? can't remember exactly what it was).

Anyway it was such a delicious refutation of religious idiocy and she immediately earned my respect from then on.

Science and rationalism 1
    Religion 0

Go Evelyn! :D

Advertisement