Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

farming (mink)

Options
  • 30-06-2012 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

would like to bring to the attention the fur farm located in rhue which is owned by a sligo based family.The animals that are being harvested for their fur are known as mink.the animals themselves are being kept in tiny cages unsuitable for the animal.i would advise people to watch the video on youtube which clearly shows the appauling living conditions that the <snip> family are proud to keep theses tiny creatures confined to.The sligo based family should be ashamed of themselves for what they are putting theses animals through,it clearly shows the how greedy and selfish the sligo based family truly are.I hope this post gives you an insight to what attrocities go on in our community.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXnLn3R8Fiw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭youcantstopme

i would also like to mention how the animals are in humanely killed be either being gassed or by anal electricution

i would like to know what fellow sligo citizens think about this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Thanks for highlighting this. Definitely didnt know this was going on in Sligo. It needs to be stopped. F**king C**ts. Get one of the local papers onto it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

would like to bring to the attention the fur farm located in rhue which is owned by a sligo based family.The animals that are being harvested for their fur are known as mink.the animals themselves are being kept in tiny cages unsuitable for the animal.i would advise people to watch the video on youtube which clearly shows the appauling living conditions that the <snip> family are proud to keep theses tiny creatures confined to.The sligo based family should be ashamed of themselves for what they are putting theses animals through,it clearly shows the how greedy and selfish the sligo based family truly are.I hope this post gives you an insight to what attrocities go on in our community.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXnLn3R8Fiw

not a very nice animal the Mink they can have killed hens and lambs of my father in the past,

i seriously doubt a mink could kill a lamb :L and maybe local papers should do a report on it great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

a mink is an extremily vicious aminal, i hope you have read about the reprocussions about the release from that ardara farm and not putting up the videos most likely made by the fools that did it. they have caused havoc in the wildlife ever since, and are still a centre point in the animal control contracts handed out (nationally focused on badgers/tb) in donegal.
    democrat link saying they would even attack kids if hungry.... although seen as it just says he is a local il throw in a bbc link about wiping out bird colonies, independant-salmon too. personally heard of plenty attacks on sheep also so you need to reevaluate the animal you are thinking of here, they kill everything, not just for food

independant piece also ends with
    There are just five mink farms operating in the Republic but these are expected to be phased out by 2012 under the current Programme for Government.
    Anti-fur protesters have claimed responsibility for mass releases of mink from farms across Europe and the US in recent years.
    is that still happening?

also just to say i dont agree with mink farms, in general so hopefully it is being phased out. they are vicious fs, not native to here and should be shipped out

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Im sure the people of Sligo have a lot more worries than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

i seriously doubt a mink could kill a lamb :L and maybe local papers should do a report on it great idea

well im afraid they have,i have saw the evidence,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Mink will certainly kill lambs, or dogs or anything else that gets in their way. Very vicious animals. Have wreaked havoc on the natural wildlife of various regions of Ireland when they were released by animal "welfare" activists. These are not the lovely cuddly creatures some people seem to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Thanks youcantstopme for posting shocking video- I can't believe this sort of thing happening in ireland,let alone on my own doorstep-i thought that they were banned years ago .Does this farm cap have some sort of government licence/inspection in order to operate?
    I have seen the damage done to hens,ducks and tukeys by the wild mink-unlike the fox,it will kill everything in sight in a frenzied attack,so god knows what effect they are having on the natural enviroment.There is a notice next to the mink traps [in my local hardware store] offering 3 euro reward for each mink you kill-that shows the extent of the problem.
    Shooting vermin is one thing but sadistically keeping animals in such shocking conditions is unacceptable. Where is this disgusting toture facility located???

you do require a licence and farm require "inspections",these inspections are only to see if the mink cant escape.the farm is in rhue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

OP, are you from the area where this mink farm is situated?
    Do you have a problem with the family who own the farm?
    The reason I ask is: If this business is Licenced and continues to hold a Licence, then it is a legitimate business. Your grief should be with the Govt. Dept. that issues such licences, not the family you had named before a Mod. snipped the name.
    Personally, I do'nt agree with fur farming, but I would love to see every mink in Ireland destroyed because of the damage they have done to our indigenous wildlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

My first question is where's the evidence that this family is from Sligo?
    Secondly why were there two threads created on this topic (one being locked).
    Thirdly, this type of buisness is licensed to the end of the year if my understanding of the law is correct. For the record, I'm disgusted by mink farming, I in no way advocate it.
    And fourthly, the quality in the video is terribly poor and grainy. It's difficult to actually see what's going on in some of it, never mind proving that it's indeed Ireland being "caught on camera".

This seems more of a thread suitable for the "Animals and Pets forum" as opposed to the Sligo forum as I don't really see the connection other than OP's clear distaste for this "greedy and selfish" family. They're making a living albeit in a distinctly differant manner, but I don't ever see people waving the flags on intensive farming that goes on with dairy cattle. Those poor cows barely make it to the milking parlour some mornings!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Closed on request of the OP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement