Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

[Jackass] wrote: »
    In fairness, Munster got 3 walk overs (Edinburgh home and away, worst team in the competition, just below Zebre - also were Munsters second seeds vs Leinster having Clermont - the 3rd walkover being Racing 2nd string in Thomond) and of the 3 competetive games they played, they lost 2.

It's all luck of the draw, but I think it's hard to say it's Leinsters fault when it's a team that would have topped any group that didn't have Clermont (the only team better than Leinster) and also the injuries, I think Leinster actually did quite well - depleted squad, could have won in Clermont, fair enough messed up in Lansdowne, but won all our other games home and away and got maximum 10 from 10 when we had our main players.

I think Leinster will do the double (at last) this season (just not with the European trophy we would have liked!), and onwards and upwards for next season.

You can't win it every year, but we'll be back next season, we're just going to have to make it 5 European trophies in 6 years next season ;) We'll keep on piling up the silverware, as for Munster, they might as well chalk it down as job done now, save money on the flights by not bothering to show up in London, enjoy their tiny moment in the sun and release the miracle match part II - Virgin Mary appears above Thomond and says Munsters passion and spirit inspire her ( only available on DVD extras) and we'll recount in 10 years how this was a serious metro team who Europe feared and were unbeaten in 97 games until they came to Thomond and the grounds keeper played as Munster were short a man, but he was such a working class hero and had so much passion he wore his jersey with pride and honesty so they won in unprecdented fashion - getting a BP win when it was needed - and the moral victory of losing but being brave in London. :pac:

Bitter isnt the word...

If Clermont are the only team in the comp that are better then Leinster (this time round) then it wouldn't be Munster and Montpellier through as the runners up.

Just note that im not saying Munster are better then Leinster, they arnt currently, Montpellier - I'd like to see that match.

I think a pool with Toulon, Montpellier, Leicester or Tolouse would also have given Leinster a good run for their money this year (injuries included), not that only Clermont could do it.

Leinster Needed 10 from 10, or at least 9 from 10 in the first 2 rounds. and they didnt manage it. They got 1 try.

Also, against Exeter at the weekend, Leinste knew they needed tries, managed to get them easy enough when they ramped up the tempo a little, they should and could have gotten a few more which would have made Munsters task far more daunting and they didnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Bitter isnt the word...

If Clermont are the only team in the comp that are better then Leinster (this time round) then it wouldn't be Munster and Montpellier through as the runners up.

If that is the measure of your logic and comprehension skills, then a conversation between you and I wouldn't go too well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think a pool with Toulon, Montpellier, Leicester or Tolouse would also have given Leinster a good run for their money this year (injuries included), not that only Clermont could do it.

Leinster Needed 10 from 10, or at least 9 from 10 in the first 2 rounds. and they didnt manage it. They got 1 try.

Also, against Exeter at the weekend, Leinste knew they needed tries, managed to get them easy enough when they ramped up the tempo a little, they should and could have gotten a few more which would have made Munsters task far more daunting and they didnt.

You're forgetting that we were very nearly the first team to beat Clermont in SMM for a long time, and outscored them in tries over two games. And we had Montpellier in our group last year and it caused us no real trouble.

We didn't just get Exeter and Scarlets in the trough of our recent form in rounds 1 and 2, we got them in the peak of theirs. Tremendously unlucky.

Across my facebook and to my mates I am more than happy Munster got through, but I am totally allowed be bitter if I want to be. The team that picked up no wins in our group is ahead of Munster in the league.

It's kinda **** when Munster fans say "you shouldn't have been depending on Racing, you shouldn't have been in that position in the first place", while they were happily able to rely on racing being **** in order for them to pick up their bps.

The truth be told it was tough to watch Toulon and Racing not give a **** to such epic proportions, and boards is a fair place for us to vent.

Yes, we played **** in rounds 1 and 2, yes we fell to bits at home against Clermont. But those other three games were three very fine performances, performances any other teams in Europe would struggle to replicate. Performances I am very proud of. We had a damn hard group, and we still only went out by virtue of try difference.

So I am bitter, because its only 12 hours later and I deserve to be. If I am still bitter in two months, then feel free to call me out for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Put it this way, Leinster got 18 points from a possible 20 from our games against our 3rd and 4th seeds - The draw with Clermont being our second seeds very unlucky.

Munster got 11 points from a possible 20 against their 3rd and 4th seeds - and got second seeds who only failed to score a try against anybody but Munster (or did that change today?) and got zero points - vs a Clermont team who got Bonus point wins in every single game except against Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fanki na pengin

Bitter isnt the word...

Christ man, we just got edged out of the premier European competition on try count by one of our biggest rivals.

Bitter is allowed.

The wounds will heal, but taking the piss out of Munster passhun is all we have. ;_;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

If that is the measure of your logic and comprehension skills, then a conversation between you and I wouldn't go too well.

You're probly right about the conversation bit as you dont dseem to read full posts. If you read the very next line you'd see I said Munster arnt better then them and Monty Id like to see them play each other to decide. So clearly the awful logic you attributed to me isnt there.

errlloyd wrote: »
    You're forgetting that we were very nearly the first team to beat Clermont in SMM for a long time, and outscored them in tries over two games. And we had Montpellier in our group last year and it caused us no real trouble.

We didn't just get Exeter and Scarlets in the trough of our recent form in rounds 1 and 2, we got them in the peak of theirs. Tremendously unlucky.

Across my facebook and to my mates I am more than happy Munster got through, but I am totally allowed be bitter if I want to be. The team that picked up no wins in our group is ahead of Munster in the league.

It's kinda **** when Munster fans say "you shouldn't have been depending on Racing, you shouldn't have been in that position in the first place", while they were happily able to rely on racing being **** in order for them to pick up their bps.

The truth be told it was tough to watch Toulon and Racing not give a **** to such epic proportions, and boards is a fair place for us to vent.

Yes, we played **** in rounds 1 and 2, yes we fell to bits at home against Clermont. But those other three games were three very fine performances, performances any other teams in Europe would struggle to replicate. Performances I am very proud of. We had a damn hard group, and we still only went out by virtue of try difference.

So I am bitter, because its only 12 hours later and I deserve to be. If I am still bitter in two months, then feel free to call me out for it.

Montpeiller are a much better team this year then last, lets stay with the present.
    and by you're logic, Leinster are good enough 50% of the time and thats an ok thing?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Injury crisis + Clermont (too good to be second seeds really) = Knocked out.
    Its as simple as that.
    Had our second seeds been anyone but Clermont, or if we'd started the season with a fully fit squad, I don't think we'd have been relying on Racing yesterday.

It's hugely disappointing, as we've got key players back now, and had we gone through, we could very well have won again, but its not to be.
    Best of luck to Munster and Ulster, though I can see Munster getting absolutely thumped by Quins tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

What's this got to do with rugby? Keep it civil folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Can we question the decision of Madigan at FB?
    Let's face it. It didn't work and probably cost us tries / points.

Should we be looking to get Felix back next year?

• Advertisement

Can we question the decision of Madigan at FB?
    Let's face it. It didn't work and probably cost us tries / points.

Should we be looking to get Felix back next year?

No, we had an usual amount of injuries across the backline that forced us to play Madigan at FB. In a way it was a worth while gamble, considering the lad is almost guaranteed to score a try 10m out. He didn't shame himself there either.

However consider our squad with no injuries, we have FB options in Kearney, Isa, Dave Kearney, Luke Fitz, Hudson, Conway, Adam Byrne in order of preference. I think we're okay. We literally had a fluke of injuries this season that prevented us from playing these guys there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

.ak wrote: »
    No, we had an usual amount of injuries across the backline that forced us to play Madigan at FB. In a way it was a worth while gamble, considering the lad is almost guaranteed to score a try 10m out. He didn't shame himself there either.

However consider our squad with no injuries, we have FB options in Kearney, Isa, Dave Kearney, Luke Fitz, Hudson, Conway, Adam Byrne in order of preference. I think we're okay. We literally had a fluke of injuries this season that prevented us from playing these guys there.

This guy really has come out of nowhere :D

Really bad timing for some of the young lads to get injured. EOM would have had a clear run at the 13 shirt for several important games, D Kearney could easily have been starting v Clermont, and considering we were starting Noel Reid at 15 against Ulster it looks like Hudson missed a big chance too.

Also don't really rate Felix. Not yet anyway. In terms of exports I'd have Morris ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Did Madigan cost us tries or points?

Felix is probably the most talented back Leinster have let slip through their fingers since Geordan Murphy. But Munster broke him (can't trust them with anything) so I'd probably prefer Morris to come back.

You could say he was poor for that Scarlets try in the away game, but what he really cost us against Clermont was field position. Whenever they ran out of ideas they put a high ball up on Madigan, and although he did reasonably well, he doesn't have enough presence in the air. That tactic would have been almost totally negated if Kearney had been there, and I guess it's just frustrating looking back. I don't think Schmidt had much choice in starting Madigan though, there weren't really many other options.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

I thought he had a small slip up against Munster, but i cant remember exactly what it was. Didn't change the result anyway though.

ed7890 wrote: »
    I thought he had a small slip up against Munster, but i cant remember exactly what it was. Didn't change the result anyway though.

Literally slipped in the 22 and threw a speculative pass instead of just taking his time and clearing the lines. Fair enough, the man is bred to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Felix Jones is not remotely good enough to play for Leinster. He's not good enough to play for Munster either, tbh.

Madigan at full-back was a 'break glass in emergency' selection when Kearney, Kearney and Fitzgerald were all out and the choice was either (Madigan at FB, Isa on the wing) or (Isa at FB, Carr on the wing). It wasn't ideal and it wasn't particularly fair on Madigan but it was probably the right call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Off the top of my head, the only time a fullback really cost us points was Kearney's mad decision to run into a wall of defenders at the weekend and concede a penalty deep in his own territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

GerM wrote: »
    Off the top of my head, the only time a fullback really cost us points was Kearney's mad decision to run into a wall of defenders at the weekend and concede a penalty deep in his own territory.

Yeah, that was hilariously mindless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Felix is probably the most talented back Leinster have let slip through their fingers since Geordan Murphy. But Munster broke him (can't trust them with anything) so I'd probably prefer Morris to come back.

Actually, it was Johnny O'Connor who broke him the first time. Ireland has had a hand in his injuries as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Literally slipped in the 22 and threw a speculative pass instead of just taking his time and clearing the lines. Fair enough, the man is bred to run.

He also scored one I think and was heavily involved in another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

jm08 wrote: »
    Actually, it was Johnny O'Connor who broke him the first time. Ireland has had a hand in his injuries as well.

So precious :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

In fairness, Munster got 3 walk overs (Edinburgh home and away, worst team in the competition, just below Zebre - also were Munsters second seeds vs Leinster having Clermont - the 3rd walkover being Racing 2nd string in Thomond) and of the 3 competetive games they played, they lost 2.

It's all luck of the draw, but I think it's hard to say it's Leinsters fault when it's a team that would have topped any group that didn't have Clermont (the only team better than Leinster) and also the injuries, I think Leinster actually did quite well - depleted squad, could have won in Clermont, fair enough messed up in Lansdowne, but won all our other games home and away and got maximum 10 from 10 when we had our main players.

I think Leinster will do the double (at last) this season (just not with the European trophy we would have liked!), and onwards and upwards for next season.

You can't win it every year, but we'll be back next season, we're just going to have to make it 5 European trophies in 6 years next season ;) We'll keep on piling up the silverware, as for Munster, they might as well chalk it down as job done now, save money on the flights by not bothering to show up in London, enjoy their tiny moment in the sun and release the miracle match part II - Virgin Mary appears above Thomond and says Munsters passion and spirit inspire her ( only available on DVD extras) and we'll recount in 10 years how this was a serious metro team who Europe feared and were unbeaten in 97 games until they came to Thomond and the grounds keeper played as Munster were short a man, but he was such a working class hero and had so much passion he wore his jersey with pride and honesty so they won in unprecdented fashion - getting a BP win when it was needed - and the moral victory of losing but being brave in London. :pac:

Why could you be so utterly disrespectful to Munster? Could you not just wish them luck and move on gracefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fanki na pengin

Tongue was firmly in cheek, don't worry. Of course we all wish Munster well.

I for one hope they win, so we can promptly knock them off the throne again. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

haha you're setting yourself up for a fall

I'm bookmarking this

I'm bookmarking this

Why don't you an JA make another bet on the game? If Munster win, JA must post a write up by yourself, and visa versa if they lose? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Tongue was firmly in cheek, don't worry. Of course we all wish Munster well.

I for one hope they win, so we can promptly knock them off the throne again. :pac:

Don't get me wrong, I understand that the large majority of Leinster rugby lovers will want to see the other provinces do well, not too well mind :p. But it benefits us all when Irish teams perform at the top level.

I was not questioning the majority, I am questing this one poster. tongue in cheek is all well and good but the post was full of little digs that drip of a deep seated bitterness. Bad form and tasteless imo.

Why don't you an JA make another bet on the game? If Munster win, JA must post a write up by yourself, and visa versa if they lose? :)

alright I'll remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

He may be. But Munster fans do invite this type of lampoon. And its a good one.

• Advertisement

Almaviva wrote: »
    He may be. But Munster fans do invite this type of lampoon. And its a good one.

It's more the media IMO, some of the stuff written/said in 06/08 was pretty nauseating when you look back on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

It's more the media IMO, some of the stuff written/said in 06/08 was pretty nauseating when you look back on it.

Fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Anyone else think Leinster have been a bit naive at times this season? Particularly at the breakdown. We've been caught out there numerous times, be it through turnovers (i.e. not getting enough support to the breakdown) or refereeing calls (pinged for various things, but also not having opposition pinged for similar). I'm not saying we were victimised by refs or anything, but it strikes me other sides have been better at playing them lately than we have.

Very disappointed with the way the season has gone so far, but the Amlin is still something we should be taking very seriously. It looks like it could be a great competition again too. Who'd have thought 2 years ago after that incredible HEC SF that both Toulouse and Leinster would be in the Amlin this year!? And the possibility that the final may be a Leinster-Toulouse one makes for a mouthwatering prospect. Couple that with the HEC final, which could well be Ulster-Clermont, and that weekend may turn out to be a pretty epic weekend all told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

molloyjh wrote: »
    Anyone else think Leinster have been a bit naive at times this season? Particularly at the breakdown. We've been caught out there numerous times, be it through turnovers (i.e. not getting enough support to the breakdown) or refereeing calls (pinged for various things, but also not having opposition pinged for similar). I'm not saying we were victimised by refs or anything, but it strikes me other sides have been better at playing them lately than we have.

Very disappointed with the way the season has gone so far, but the Amlin is still something we should be taking very seriously. It looks like it could be a great competition again too. Who'd have thought 2 years ago after that incredible HEC SF that both Toulouse and Leinster would be in the Amlin this year!? And the possibility that the final may be a Leinster-Toulouse one makes for a mouthwatering prospect. Couple that with the HEC final, which could well be Ulster-Clermont, and that weekend may turn out to be a pretty epic weekend all told.

Certainly does, have 3 tickets to both games.
    Also have an exam on either the Friday or the Saturday.:mad: Please god let the exam be the Friday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Strauss out for up to 3 months, surgery possibly required on the ankle injury he picked up against Exeter.

Big chance for Cronin.

Also big carrot for Dundon/Sexton to get into a European squad.

Might just end Strauss' Lions ambitions

Just a note on [Jackass]'s post - the poster has already received a warning for the post, but just to explain for the sake of transparency for the rest of you.

We're all for a bit of banter on the forum; it's something you can expect if you went to a Rugby grounds on a Saturday night for a match, so why not here? Well, moderating the line between 'banter' and 'trolling' under the current circumstances is nearly impossible. Throw in the fact that tone, sarcasm and wit is often lost in translation to text and you can easily understand how it may rub certain people up the wrong way.

So going forward, can we please all keep in our other posters in mind when posting, and perhaps ask yourself if your post may offend before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

ongarite wrote: »
    Strauss out for up to 3 months, surgery possibly required on the ankle injury he picked up against Exeter.

Ah seriously now this is just getting ridiculous. I'm going to bed, wake me up when Leinster finally get a run of games with something resembling a full squad. :mad:

ongarite wrote: »

3 months?? Ouch. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Tox56 wrote: »
    You could say he was poor for that Scarlets try in the away game, but what he really cost us against Clermont was field position. Whenever they ran out of ideas they put a high ball up on Madigan, and although he did reasonably well, he doesn't have enough presence in the air. That tactic would have been almost totally negated if Kearney had been there, and I guess it's just frustrating looking back. I don't think Schmidt had much choice in starting Madigan though, there weren't really many other options.

I think Isa should have been 15 for that game. Sometimes I wonder did DK have a say about Madigan playing FB.

The Indo reporting that Strauss could be out for up to 12 months...

12 months or 12 weeks..??? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

On RTE website they are saying 10-12 weeks :( hope it is only the 10 - 12

Indo says here 12 months: http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/irish-news/blow-for-ireland-as-strauss-ruled-out-of-six-nations-3361189.html

Was his last injury a similar one? I wonder if he was brought back too soon...

Has his ankle fallen off? 12 months seems ludicrous. Must be a mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

That must be a typo. Presume 12 weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭Banbridgeman2

I do feel for Leinster, unfortunately you had an injury crisis at a time when you had to play the best team in Europe. Ultimately that's why you went out. In a way im relieved because since your stalwarts have returned from injury and as those who've missed large chunks of the season start to get fitter, suddenly you look like you did last season. But you can't win it every year and in my opinion they will come back even stronger next year. I still think they need another signing in the second row though

molloyjh wrote: »

Just on this. Can't remember what game it was, may have been Scarlets last week, but the opposing Captain was asked how they would approach the game. They said that Leinster don't commit numbers to the breakdown, so they'll target them there.

In translation - we're probably the most watched team in NH rugby. From a casual and a analytical point of view. Our goose is cooked in that regard. Teams know what to do to beat us - spoil our rucks, and they'll do anything to do that until they're told not to anymore.

Our latest two games are ideal examples. Exeter were off their feet, flying in from every angle at every ruck. Scarlets were refusing to roll away at any ruck and were not penalized.

Now, should this be picked up by the ref? Well that's another discussion for another day. But you could argue the point that alot of refs will let that slide in order to keep some fluidity on the game.

The point is though we need to look at that part of the game and change it up, because every team we come across now know it's our achilles heel and few refs will be willing to help us out in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

Carr back to Connacht is a done deal

Step forth Adam Byrne.

(once you've mended that ankle)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement