Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Hagz wrote: »
    I would love Bekker. One of my fave locks in the world.

Leinster would go from having the worst second row pairing to having the best in my opinion.

McCarthy-Bekker with Roux as back-up is mouth-watering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

.ak wrote: »
    Still, it'd be a cracking game if we had Toulouse in our backyard. They're one team I always have immense joy in watching. It'll be interesting to see what teams Leinster and Toulouse put out in the quarters actually.

Leinster and Ulster to beat Toulouse and Clermont, in Dublin, on the same weekend. Poetic.

While they are both teams I like to watch, there's always a degree of "you're effectively cheering for Man City" about wanting them to do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

imno22 wrote: »
    Interesting on Sexton, they must like his potential to give him a three year deal.

On that note, I think I may have (wilfully) misinterpreted the tweet while looking at it in a rush. Looks like he may have signed a three year deal with the Rebels. Again, all rumour.

EDIT: Went back and checked. Another few tweets have come up since that paint it clearly to my tired brain. The three year rumour DOES seem to refer to a three year one in Melbourne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

After getting the email about the wasps tickets I really hope the feckers take it seriously. I'd really love a semi-final and final in the RDS.

Yes it's not the HEC but it would be something special if we could win a European trophy in our back yard.

edit: actually on second thoughts given our success rate at rabo final's in the RDS maybe it's not a good idea to get that far :D

Thankfully we cant have the bloody Ospreys though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

With Dave Doyle seemingly made of glass, young Bryan Byrne may feature frequently for the A side if there's truth to these rumours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 imno22

James Tracy is being converted to hooker aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

It would be great, but we'd have to win 3 very tough games - Wasps away, most likely Biarritz in RDS and then Toulouse in RDS - not a million miles from teams you'd have to beat to win the Heineken Cup. Definitely a much tougher quarter than we had last season and with respect to Ulster, would probably be a tougher final too...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

[Jackass] wrote: »
    It would be great, but we'd have to win 3 very tough games - Wasps away, most likely Biarritz in RDS and then Toulouse in RDS - not a million miles from teams you'd have to beat to win the Heineken Cup. Definitely a much tougher quarter than we had last season and with respect to Ulster, would probably be a tougher final too...

Toulouse aren't what they were. They lost 3 times in the Heienken Cup last season (Gloucster, Quins and Edinburgh), and lost to both the Ospreys and Leicester this season. Should we get them in the RDS I would expect to beat them.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

I've a funny feeling that if Ulster and Munster go out of the HC suddenly the Amlin would seem a hell of a lot more important. It would be nice to have a big game against Tolouse on the HC weekend in the RDS on a sunny May day.

I mean a Rabo-Amlin Double would be a very nice return. Definitely something we should strive for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Tox56 wrote: »
    Toulouse aren't what they were. They lost 3 times in the Heienken Cup last season (Gloucster, Quins and Edinburgh), and lost to both the Ospreys and Leicester this season. Should we get them in the RDS I would expect to beat them.

I dunno. Did you see the match against Leicester? If they had a kicker they won have won comfortably. Very very powerful pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

How come nobody has mentioned Carr leaving? Personal I'm quite happy to see him go, I'm sure he is as well. Unfortunatly it didnt work out.

mentioned already i think.

Think we have a very very solid foursome in the back 3 with the Kearney brothers, Isa and Luke. Would love to see Conway regain his form he showed previously.

Futher down the line, Hudson started very well this season before getting injured and has yet to return, SCM and Boyle havent done much of anything this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    How come nobody has mentioned Carr leaving? Personal I'm quite happy to see him go, I'm sure he is as well. Unfortunatly it didnt work out.

Mentioned a page or two back. Others agreed with pretty much what you said :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

lemansky wrote: »
    On that note, I think I may have (wilfully) misinterpreted the tweet while looking at it in a rush. Looks like he may have signed a three year deal with the Rebels. Again, all rumour.

EDIT: Went back and checked. Another few tweets have come up since that paint it clearly to my tired brain. The three year rumour DOES seem to refer to a three year one in Melbourne.

That'd be a loss I think. He seems a pretty decent player with a good bit of potential. But with Cronin and Strauss there his game time was always going to be limited I suppose, even if he could have gone ahead of Dundon who has looked a new man of late.

Sexton is going to get a lot of time in the next few weeks to show us what he is made of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The last thing we need is Super XV teams sniffing around our young lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

The last thing we need is Super XV teams sniffing around our young lads.

Check out Tom Sexton's Leinster profile, he was born in Australia. Hope it's not true as we would surely lose him to the Australian system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

confirmed Tom Sexton to Melbourne Rebels

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_8427770,00.html

leftleg wrote: »

Sounds like he if he is half decent he will be looking to play for Australia internationally:
    Having been born in Melbourne, I then left Australia at four years of age. I have been fortunate to receive a great Irish education. My rugby career also benefited greatly from exposure at club, school, academy and professional level in Ireland. But in many ways I am returning home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

leftleg wrote: »

Fair play to him, wouldn't begrudge anybody going looking for first-team rugby and with Strauss and Cronin ahead of him, his chances were going to be seriously limited with us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Great move for him, always felt he could come through though. An excellent lineout thrower and a good size for a hooker. Will be interesting to see how he does in the S15. I'd say the Rebels will struggle badly this year though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

imno22 wrote: »
    mentioned already i think.

Think we have a very very solid foursome in the back 3 with the Kearney brothers, Isa and Luke. Would love to see Conway regain his form he showed previously.

Futher down the line, Hudson started very well this season before getting injured and has yet to return, SCM and Boyle havent done much of anything this year.

I am not sure Conway has the physicality - but he's young. Give him a few more years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Fair play for to Sexton. Doubt we'll see him on these shores again, but he lined up well for us when called upon. Hope he breaks into the Australia squad someday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Mike Ross signs on for two more years according to the twittersphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

Mike Ross signs on for two more years according to the twittersphere.

Its on the Irish Times website too, good news!

From that Irish times article:
    While there is concern in Munster BJ Botha may take up a longer, more lucrative offer in France after merely being offered a one-year deal with Munster, at least their concerns are offset somewhat by the emergence of Stephen Archer.

:eek: I'm not sure Munster fans would see it that way, could be trouble if Thornley is to be believed. We might see Hagan go down south

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Munster won't go for Hagan to be a starter.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭fitz

...at least their concerns are offset somewhat by the emergence of Stephen Archer.

His emergence as what?!
    Cause it certainly isn't as a prop...

fitz wrote: »
    His emergence as what?!
    Cause it certainly isn't as a prop...

To be fair to Archer he seems to have improved with game time. The first time I saw him he went head first down at nearly every scrum, but he's been more and more reliable since. He still goes head first at least once a game, but then he hasn't faced many top class props yet. His issue always seemed to be technique anyway. He'd drive his upper body forward but forget to move his feet and legs, extending himself out until he just couldn't stay up. That sort of thing can be corrected. So I can't imagine Hagan will be heading there.

Great news about Rossy though. And with both himself and Bent in the Irish squad it does give Hagan and Moore more opportunities this season and next. Wouldn't be surprised to see Moore overtake Hagan though based on what I've seen so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Tox56 wrote: »
    From that Irish times article:
    wrote:
    While there is concern in Munster BJ Botha may take up a longer, more lucrative offer in France after merely being offered a one-year deal with Munster, at least their concerns are offset somewhat by the emergence of Stephen Archer.

:eek: I'm not sure Munster fans would see it that way, could be trouble if Thornley is to be believed. We might see Hagan go down south

If Botha was offered the one year deal does that mean the NIQ rules aren't going ahead in their current format?

If Botha was offered the one year deal does that mean the NIQ rules aren't going ahead in their current format?

shhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

molloyjh wrote: »
    To be fair to Archer he seems to have improved with game time. The first time I saw him he went head first down at nearly every scrum, but he's been more and more reliable since. He still goes head first at least once a game, but then he hasn't faced many top class props yet. His issue always seemed to be technique anyway. He'd drive his upper body forward but forget to move his feet and legs, extending himself out until he just couldn't stay up. That sort of thing can be corrected. So I can't imagine Hagan will be heading there.

Great news about Rossy though. And with both himself and Bent in the Irish squad it does give Hagan and Moore more opportunities this season and next. Wouldn't be surprised to see Moore overtake Hagan though based on what I've seen so far.

Moore and McGrath are both going to be top class props-in the Nicholas Mas mold. Small and squat with a low centre of gravity and great scrummagers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Academy business mentoring programme announced

I felt this was interesting. We have such a quality academy, not only in terms of developing rugby but other skills and interests too. Great opportunity for our academy players.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Moore and McGrath are both going to be top class props-in the Nicholas Mas mold. Small and squat with a low centre of gravity and great scrummagers.

Yeah I've been hugely impressed by both. McGrath is a freakin' tank. Bumped into him (literally) in the RDS earlier in the season and it was like hitting a wall. Moore looks like the traditional fatty, but seems to have a big appetite for getting about the park and getting stuck in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Friday night match for Leinster

Friday, 5 April

London Wasps v Leinster Rugby, Adams Park 20.00
    Sky Sports/Eurosport France

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Friday night match for Leinster

Friday, 5 April

London Wasps v Leinster Rugby, Adams Park 20.00
    Sky Sports/Eurosport France
    Will there be tickets available online for the game? Or only through the supporters club?

Flying out Friday morning and back Saturday night is just over e100 - nice city to visit is London :)

Hersheys wrote: »
    Will there be tickets available online for the game? Or only through the supporters club?

Flying out Friday morning and back Saturday night is just over e100 - nice city to visit is London :)

I presume that tickets will be available, I saw an interview with someone from the wasps set up where it was mentioned that they were discounting tickets in an attempt to get a full house for the match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

What a lovely time slot. :)

note, Wasps ground is miles from London!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yup, High Wycombe is about 45mins from London on overland train...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

A poster on Planet Rugby says Conway is off to Munster.

Don't know if he's ripping the piss on not but I wouldn't be surprised if Conway left. He hasn't really impressed with the chances he's been given. Still only a youngfella though.

It would leave us very light in the back 3 though. I imagine we'd have to promote an academy player or sign a new wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Clegg wrote: »

Don't know if he's ripping the piss on not but I wouldn't be surprised if Conway left. He hasn't really impressed with the chances he's been given. Still only a youngfella though.

It would leave us very light in the back 3 though. I imagine we'd have to promote an academy player or sign a new wing.

Yikes, with Carr gone too we could be a little short if we have an autumn like the one we just did again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

Would make no sense got Munster or Leinster

I don't buy it. He signed a 2 year contract just last april so is in contract for another season.

He won't leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

30mins on the train. be grand!

eoferrall wrote: »
    30mins on the train. be grand!

What train!?

I don't buy it. He signed a 2 year contract just last april so is in contract for another season.

He won't leave.

Despite his poor form he's still gotten plenty of game time. And he knows that if he plays his way back to form he'll be in with a good shot. He's only 21 so if he finds form this season or early next he'll be in a good place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

What train!?

http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/

though I suppose it depends where you get on, and some must call at extra stops (but it doesn't say).

Since for instance you can leave High Wycombe at 22.30 and get into Marylebone at 23.30 OR leave and 22.48 and get in at 23.18...:confused:

If you're using the car from the South, it's motorways pretty much the whole way up, so it should be relatively painless. Bit of a pain that it's not closer to London alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

He's contracted till 2014, and Andrew Conway doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who wants to be down in Munster anyway.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement