Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Seems a bit harsh to give a team binning when both sides have conceded the same amount of pens, can't really know without being there though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Tox56 wrote: »
    I thought that too, and although the team Leinster tweeted still had Macken 12 Daly 13, they also tweeted a picture and it looks like Macken wearing 13:

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/269085453838348289/photo/1

I'm telling you these squad announcements for 'A' teams are really strange sometimes.

Apparently Coghlan is starting in the centre as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

Sexton on for Tracey at HT.

Munster score try from rolling maul. 9-18

Moore on for Hagan and Daly on for Macken.

Appears Coughlan started at 12.

Archer getting killed in the scrum, two penalties in a row

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Conan on for Murphy.

O'Connell on for McGrath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

is there a score update?

where those two penalties kicked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

goreyguy wrote: »
    Archer getting killed in the scrum, two penalties in a row

that couldnt be right, Archer is an irish squad member...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Final score 12-18 to Munster...

Munster win 18-12

Leinster were camped in their 22 but gave away a penalty to finish it.

Damn, Munster A are fast becoming Leinster A's version of the Ospreys.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Not worried about that as I had expected a bit of a hammering from a much more experienced side. Glad to hear about that scrum performance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Not worried about that as I had expected a bit of a hammering from a much more experienced side. Glad to hear about that scrum performance!

+1 we were on average 3 years younger a man..Leinster will have learned a lot from that.

Though i'd imagine Penny would have learned a lot also about his props and scrum coach etc

• Advertisement

The result isn't important; it's how the players got on and hopefully we avoided any injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

In a lively beginning to the contest, former Ireland U-20 International JJ Hanrahan had the chance to open the scoring for Munster 'A' with a 30-metre penalty six minutes in, but his kick from a tight left-hand angle drifted past the post. Munster - who started with a strong backline that included Felix Jones, Johne Murphy, Danny Barnes and the veteran Peter Stringer - were starting to force Leinster on the back-foot, however, and they crossed the whitewash for the first time on 12 minutes, when winger Ronan O'Mahony drove over on the left following fine work towards the line by hooker Sean Henry.
    Out-half Hanrahan was off-target once again with his subequent conversion attempt, and Leinster 'A' took advantage of this missed opportunity seven minutes later when No. 10 Noel Reid converted a penalty on the 22-metre-line to cut into the Red Army's cushion. Clontarf's Reid was also on hand to kick between the posts with a similar effort on 25 minutes, which moved Leinster 'A' into a slender lead. These scores helped to calm the Leinster nerves considerably, and even though Reid fell short with a three-point attempt moments later, he made no mistake from in front of the posts with six minutes remaining in the half.

This proved to be Reid's last meaningful involvement in the fixture, unfortunately, as he was soon replaced by Trinity's Cathal Marsh, and a brace of late place kicks by Hanrahan meant that Munster 'A' took an 11-9 advantage with them into the second period. With a number of fresh legs introduced upon the resumption, Munster maintained their momentum from the end of the first half, and got through for their second try of the afternoon when Henry powered over in the right-corner following a long spell inside the Leinster 'A' '22' three minutes after the re-start. Hanrahan's radar was now fully tuned in, and he expertly secured the bonuses from the right-wing, increasing the Munster 'A' lead to nine in the process.

This left Leinster with plenty of work to do as the final half-hour of play beckoned, but even though they were displaying plenty of endeavour in attack, they were finding it hard to break through a stern Munster 'A'rearguard, who were keeping them at bay whenever it looked like they might find a way through.

As the half moved on, both sides opted to unload their bench, offering those on show some much-needed game time ahead of their respective British & Irish Cup ties in the coming weeks. Replacement out-half, Scott Deasy, was presented with the opportunity to increase the Munster 'A' cushion even further with 12 minutes to go, but his kick fell well short of the Leinster 'A' posts.

This offered Leinster 'A' a lifeline heading into the closing stages, and a successful Marsh penalty on 77 minutes meant that there were going to some nervy moments for Munster 'A' late on. Indeed, it briefly looked like Leinster might be able to find their way through for a dramatic triumph, but Munster 'A' held firm to come away with a hard-earned success in the end.

Sounds like Munster won it fair and square. Didn't sound like we looked like opening them up. I wonder how Coughlan got on at 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

.ak wrote: »
    Sounds like Munster won it fair and square. Didn't sound like we looked like opening them up. I wonder how Coughlan got on at 12.

Munster deserved to win-their backline were much more dangerous and their pack alot more dynamic. Coughlan did well at 12 and had a couple of good carries. Macken was anonomous. I really don't think he is going to make it at this level. Kearney had an awful game at full back. Reid was excellent-pity he got injured. Our line out was poor-Ruddock had a good game and so did Gilsenan but I thought Conan stole the show when he came on. The scrum was excellent and how Archer is anywhere near the Irish squad I dont know. McGrath and then O'Connell murdered him more than once. They nearly pulled it out of the bag at the end but Munster deserved to win.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Is Moore not a TH?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think McGrath and then O'Connell were our loose heads?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭Banbridgeman2

My friend said McGrath anyway

Yes Moore came on for Hagan and O'Connell for McGrath.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Munster deserved to win-their backline were much more dangerous and their pack alot more dynamic. Coughlan did well at 12 and had a couple of good carries. Macken was anonomous. I really don't think he is going to make it at this level. Kearney had an awful game at full back. Reid was excellent-pity he got injured. Our line out was poor-Ruddock had a good game and so did Gilsenan but I thought Conan stole the show when he came on. The scrum was excellent and how Archer is anywhere near the Irish squad I dont know. Moore murdered him more than once. They nearly pulled it out of the bag at the end but Munster deserved to win.

With Auva'a having an absolute horror show against the Ospreys and being poor all season that's good to hear. I know he is young but I think he's already bigger than Heaslip physically, wouldn't mind him getting some Pro12 gametime.

Yes Moore came on for Hagan and O'Connell for McGrath.

So presumably it was O'Connell or McGrath mangling Archer no?

Podge_irl wrote: »
    So presumably it was O'Connell or McGrath mangling Archer no?

Yes correct. Also saw BOD there. He was walking around unaided (without that big boot thing he was wearing). Could he be back for Clermont away?..

Wonder how many/which of the young Leinster props will be stay at Leinster. And even if some of them may find themselves at Munster!

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Wonder how many/which of the young Leinster props will be stay at Leinster. And even if some of them may find themselves at Munster!

Ross, Bent, Hagan, Moore and Furlong is surely too many tightheads for one team? Moore and Furlong are young and might not really break through for another few years, but you would think at least one of them will move on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭Banbridgeman2

While its probably a bit unfair for you lot, for the good of Irish rugby I think Leinster should give some of their props to help the likes of Munster and Connacht. Moore, McGrath, Furlong, O'Connell, far too much quality present especially when they have Healy, VDM, Ross, Hagan, Bent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Ross, Bent, Hagan, Moore and Furlong is surely too many tightheads for one team? Moore and Furlong are young and might not really break through for another few years, but you would think at least one of them will move on.

Ross is 33 next month so there will be a gap in the medium term but if both Moore and Furlong continue to develop then yeah, it's going to get crowded.

• Advertisement

Ross may be winding down soon, Bent looks to be a short term HvM or (Berne/Berquist at outhalf) sort of signing, Hagan apart from recent cameos hasnt been great so I wouldnt worry too much if I was Moore or Furlong. They both seem happy to put their down and earn the shirt and hopefully wont do Felix Jones on it.

Munster deserved to win-their backline were much more dangerous and their pack alot more dynamic. Coughlan did well at 12 and had a couple of good carries. Macken was anonomous. I really don't think he is going to make it at this level. Kearney had an awful game at full back. Reid was excellent-pity he got injured. Our line out was poor-Ruddock had a good game and so did Gilsenan but I thought Conan stole the show when he came on. The scrum was excellent and how Archer is anywhere near the Irish squad I dont know. McGrath and then O'Connell murdered him more than once. They nearly pulled it out of the bag at the end but Munster deserved to win.

Surprised to hear that Kearney had a bad game. He's usually pretty reliable. I wouldn't be too worried about the line-out. Marshall is more of a flanker than a second row never mind that Foley and Nagle have bucket loads more experience that our two boys. Any word on Flanagan?
    Yes correct. Also saw BOD there. He was walking around unaided (without that big boot thing he was wearing). Could he be back for Clermont away?..

Don't you go teasing me with stuff like this... :D

While its probably a bit unfair for you lot, for the good of Irish rugby I think Leinster should give some of their props to help the likes of Munster and Connacht. Moore, McGrath, Furlong, O'Connell, far too much quality present especially when they have Healy, VDM, Ross, Hagan, Bent.

Like Munster have been giving away their second rows?? ;)

molloyjh wrote: »
    Surprised to hear that Kearney had a bad game. He's usually pretty reliable. I wouldn't be too worried about the line-out. Marshall is more of a flanker than a second row never mind that Foley and Nagle have bucket loads more experience that our two boys. Any word on Flanagan?

That's true, but given the number of young backrowers would it not be a good idea for him to focus on becoming a second row? People were saying he was too short, but he's 6'5 according to the Leinster site, and he looked good when he came on vs Ospreys, some strong carrying and didn't appear to weaken the scrum.

Don't you go teasing me with stuff like this... :D

Just reporting back on developments...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Baker87

Ross is getting on and isn't VDM in his final season and won't be having his contract renewed?

So if that is the case it isn't exactly an embarrassment of riches, in saying that unless Hagan improves dramatically and has a strong season i can see him being moved out and Furlong/Moore moving up the pecking order!

Am I right in saying that at LH we have:

Healy
    VDM
    McGrath

At TH we have:

Ross
    Hagan
    Bent
    Moore
    Furlong
    O'Connell

I'd imagine of the THs Hagan would need to put in a few good performances this season. With the arrival of Bent and Moore coming through he'll be under a lot of pressure. That said with both Ross and Bent on the Player Welfare thing we still need another 2 THs to tide us over so Hagan and Moore will be the two there. With Furlong and O'Connell only 20 and 22 respectively they are pups. Although I'd imagine one of the two will need to move on soon. Probably O'Connell.

As for LH I don't know if VDMs contract can/will be renewed. But as with the Ross and Bent with Healy unavailable for parts of the season we need VDM and McGrath there anyway.

That's true, but given the number of young backrowers would it not be a good idea for him to focus on becoming a second row? People were saying he was too short, but he's 6'5 according to the Leinster site, and he looked good when he came on vs Ospreys, some strong carrying and didn't appear to weaken the scrum.

True enough, but as of today he's still more of a flanker so I wouldn't be too worried about our line-out not performing against theirs given the difference in experience. It would be great to see him develop into a second row though.

Am I right in saying that at LH we have:

Healy
    VDM
    McGrath

At TH we have:

Ross
    Hagan
    Bent
    Moore
    Furlong
    O'Connell

I'd imagine of the THs Hagan would need to put in a few good performances this season. With the arrival of Bent and Moore coming through he'll be under a lot of pressure. That said with both Ross and Bent on the Player Welfare thing we still need another 2 THs to tide us over so Hagan and Moore will be the two there. With Furlong and O'Connell only 20 and 22 respectively they are pups. Although I'd imagine one of the two will need to move on soon. Probably O'Connell.

As for LH I don't know if VDMs contract can/will be renewed. But as with the Ross and Bent with Healy unavailable for parts of the season we need VDM and McGrath there anyway.

Think O'Connell is ambiproptrous but now seems to be focusing on LH. Tracy was behind both him & McGrath so has switched to hooker (anyone know he got on today actually?). On present showings given Ross is winding down and Bent and HvM probably not staying long term I can see Hagan and O'Connell being the ones who Leinster would be least unhappy to lose but would be great squad players to have if they didnt want to venture away.

• Advertisement

McCarthy is only just 6'5 so Marshall could be a 2nd row.

Pretty disappointing Macken's complete lack of progress, has high high hopes from him.

You would assume HVDM will be moving on after this season, pushing McGrath to second string LH.
    If Hagan does't make it at Leinster, I think he should head to England for a season or two. Works out for a lot of Irish props.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Think O'Connell is ambiproptrous but now seems to be focusing on LH. Tracy was behind both him & McGrath so has switched to hooker (anyone know he got on today actually?). On present showings given Ross is winding down and Bent and HvM probably not staying long term I can see Hagan and O'Connell being the ones who Leinster would be least unhappy to lose but would be great squad players to have if they didnt want to venture away.

Actually, it would be great for everyone all round if one or two of the tight heads moved to Ulster - at least until Ross retires.

Think of the advantages for them and Ireland.
    First team rugby as Afoa will be gone next year.
    Low cost of living.
    Cheaper cars.
    Cheaper drink.
    Nicer lookin' wimmin than in Limerick......:D
    Closer to home.
    No ROG hanging about like a ghost at a wake.
    No language problems.

goreyguy wrote: »
    McCarthy is only just 6'5 so Marshall could be a 2nd row.

Pretty disappointing Macken's complete lack of progress, has high high hopes from him.

You would assume HVDM will be moving on after this season, pushing McGrath to second string LH.
    If Hagan does't make it at Leinster, I think he should head to England for a season or two. Works out for a lot of Irish props.

Who'd be out second LH when Healy is away then?

Jack O'Connell.

Who'd be out second LH when Healy is away then?

O'Connell and AFAIK Bent can cover both sides.

I really hope VdM doesn't leave, he is an ideal squad player, particularly as back-up to Healy who seems to get injured every game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

What's this about Bent being a short term signing? Has he said he wants to go back to NZ at some stage? Because from what little we've seen of him so far, it seems crazy that Leinster would let a 26 year old, good quality, IQ ambiprop go.

if VDM doesnt leave, mcgrath should. He deserves way more PT.

ray jay wrote: »
    What's this about Bent being a short term signing? Has he said he wants to go back to NZ at some stage? Because from what little we've seen of him so far, it seems crazy that Leinster would let a 26 year old, good quality, IQ ambiprop go.

If he turns out to be a Strauss like find he'll be kept on but when his signing was announced Schmidt mentioned that he was looking for a player to bridge the gap between the older (Ross) and younger (Furlong & Moore). If the latter two kick on and live up to their potential I dont think we'd hang onto Bent unless he's a lot better than them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I really hope VdM doesn't leave, he is an ideal squad player, particularly as back-up to Healy who seems to get injured every game.

He'll have to if the IRFU stick to their anti-foreigner policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Baker87

Whats the feeling on Furlong and Moore? Who has more promise?

I haven't yet see Moore play, saw Furlong in the u20's last campaign and was obviously impressed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement