Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    Ended up 21-9 btw

We really need to get some noise going at these A games. The Ponty support was fantastic (even if they were booing for no reason at times) and put us to shame. Ponty were pretty good, and they're big lads. We could have had more though. Conway really did butcher a chance and Coughlan at one stage kicked through when we had men over. Overall though it was a decent showing. Carr looked good again, very hungry to get involved. He'd want to be careful, my opinion of him might change if he keeps this up. Dave Kearney was good at FB too. He's such a hard guy to take down. Macken has been making great progress this season too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

molloyjh wrote: »
    We really need to get some noise going at these A games. The Ponty support was fantastic (even if they were booing for no reason at times) and put us to shame. Ponty were pretty good, and they're big lads. We could have had more though. Conway really did butcher a chance and Coughlan at one stage kicked through when we had men over. Overall though it was a decent showing. Carr looked good again, very hungry to get involved. He'd want to be careful, my opinion of him might change if he keeps this up. Dave Kearney was good at FB too. He's such a hard guy to take down. Macken has been making great progress this season too.

Was there also cheer the lads on too.

Kearney and Carr where my two stand out players. Reid showing lots of potential also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

The home crowd were quiet allright. But that's probably because we were all still full of breakfast and no pints. ;)

DD9090 wrote: »
    Was there also cheer the lads on too.

Kearney and Carr where my two stand out players. Reid showing lots of potential also.

Yeah Reid is coming on, but is still making mistakes kicking from hand. He's improving though.
    The home crowd were quiet allright. But that's probably because we were all still full of breakfast and no pints. ;)

They are always quiet. You get glared at by some if you try to make a bit of noise!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah Reid is coming on, but is still making mistakes kicking from hand. He's improving though.

They are always quiet. You get glared at by some if you try to make a bit of noise!

His kicking from hand (and off the tee) does seem to be very erratic, did he look physical enough to do a Paddy Wallace job at 12? He looks to have improved his physicality whenever I've seen him recently

Ha, funny actually by the time I got to the RDS I was in, shall we say, full song. :D When the teams came out I joined in the Leinster chant - I seem to be one of the very few who actually chant in Block D - a woman infront of me turned around and said 'Are you going to be doing that for the whole game?' Ofcourse I grinned and acknowledged, 'The whole game.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fanki na pengin

That mentality baffles me. If you want to watch it quietly, do it at home.

The Aviva is worse for it. I got laughed at -laughed - for trying (and failing) to start a Leinster chant against Clermont.

By ****ing Leinster fans.

Also have to say I thought Mark Flanagan put in a MoTM performance. Glad they didn't rush him back. He's very much in the McCarthy mould imo. Gilsenan was great today too, altho not his usual feverish self, best of the backrows tho.

I actually said that to her after she made a scoff of disbelief.

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    His kicking from hand (and off the tee) does seem to be very erratic, did he look physical enough to do a Paddy Wallace job at 12? He looks to have improved his physicality whenever I've seen him recently

His kicking from the tee today was actually pretty good, and he did find a few very good touchfinds from hand. Particularly in the second half. But he was a little erratic from hand throughout.
    Ha, funny actually by the time I got to the RDS I was in, shall we say, full song. :D When the teams came out I joined in the Leinster chant - I seem to be one of the very few who actually chant in Block D - a woman infront of me turned around and said 'Are you going to be doing that for the whole game?' Ofcourse I grinned and acknowledged, 'The whole game.'

Yeah I can't stand that kind of thing. If you're at a match get behind your team. If you don't want to do that then don't be surprised to hear others do it. You don't want to deal with that you'd be better off staying at home.

Just on Reid's kicking, oddly enough I thought all of his kicking was good today APART from his penalty to touch kicks. Always seemed skewed or off the side of the boot. He put in a few lovely touch finders though, one particular one in the second half he took the ball on with the entire Ponty line coming down on him, just calmly poked it over their heads into space. The experience is defo paying off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Reid's issue with his kicking from hand is very much down to his time as a 12. It'd be great if he could come through as a 10 though.. Good insurance against the departure of one of the other lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

The Aviva is worse for it. I got laughed at -laughed - for trying (and failing) to start a Leinster chant against Clermont.

By ****ing Leinster fans.
    They aren't fans, they're spectators.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

What type of result are we looking for in the Munster game?

clsmooth wrote: »

Munster loss.

And definitely a non BP win if/when they convince the turgid ****e-ness that is Edinburgh Rugby to lay down and let them through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

From a Leinster point of view Embra winning would be the best result, Munster winning with a BP the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Munster loss. But it's Edinburgh so we just want the TBP denied. If they get the TBP, well, we'll have to score a ton of tries in Exeter. If they lose, we may not need 5 at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

danthefan wrote: »
    From a Leinster point of view Embra winning would be the best result, Munster winning with a BP the worst.
    matthew8 wrote: »
    Munster loss. But it's Edinburgh so we just want the TBP denied. If they get the TBP, well, we'll have to score a ton of tries in Exeter. If they lose, we may not need 5 at all.

Cheers lads

An Edinburgh win would be fantastic, but that's not going to happen. Munster not getting a TBP would be useful. That might happen, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Should they only get 4 points from this then they'll need 5 next week against Racing. With Racing out of contention they won't be bothered next week so that's quite likely tbh. If they get 5 today and next week then they will be through on 21 points.

Outside of this game we want Ospreys to win (or at least limit Leicester to 4 points) this week and Toulon to win next.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Great result for Leinster today. Only 1 try ahead of Leinster at the moment...I ****in hope Racing send a decent team to Thomond...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Looks like ROG will be cited as well which is a pain, much better chance of them running up a score of tries with keatley

Is there any incentive for Racing at all? eg. Amlin rugby?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Higher wrote: »
    Is there any incentive for Racing at all? eg. Amlin rugby?

If Quins beat Biarritz on Friday night in France then Racing could get the last Amlin spot if they beat Munster.

Next up for us, we'd like an Ospreys win against Leicester with no bonus points anywhere.

12-3 please Ospreys

Next up for us, we'd like an Ospreys win against Leicester with no bonus points anywhere.

12-3 please Ospreys

really don't like those odds :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I just realized that technically our destiny is back in our own hands.

Regardless of results later today there will be a team going through on 20 points (possibly even 19 but you suspect someone will get to 20). If we open up exeter and score a boatload of tries we go through.

Playing first next week is now looking like a real disadvantage. We can put a stake in the ground but others (at least Munster and Montpellier, possibly leicster / Toulouse) will then have a chance go beat it.

Edit - I realized after Writing this that there is an outside chance of leicster / toulouse group puts a 2nd, 2nd placed team through on over 20 points if they get losing bps and try bonus points but realistically unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

They aren't fans, they're spectators.

Exactly. A more civilised breed of sport follower.
    'Fans' tend to have a bit too much of the great unwashed about them, with the mob chanting, mexican wave thing, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

So, what happens if Treviso beat Toulouse... 0-3 ATM :P

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭TopOfTheRight

jk86 wrote: »
    So, what happens if Treviso beat Toulouse... 0-3 ATM :P

borat-dance.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

heai.png

Heaslip doesn't have the same impact as SOB but very few players do so it's actually unfair on him that he'll always be compared to SOB.

Overall though he did have an impact on the game last night and when you compare the stats to Coughlan and POM he doesn't look too bad.

Obviously the stats are from ESPN so could be off but I think they generally indicate the right answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

CatFromHue wrote: »
    heai.png

Showpony.

Showpony.

Make up your mind, he can't be a show pony and a Houdini :P

14-14 all in Toulouse! Can we just end both games now? Best runner up would be 17?

Forza Treviso!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Some end to this Ospreys Leicester match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Not a bad weekend all told for Leinster. Could have been better. Could have been a whole lot worse.
    We're certainly much more likely to qualify than we were on Friday.
    I'd say we're at 50/50 now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

So am I to understand to get through next week:

We need to get a BP win in Exeter & score a boat load of trys
    We need Toulon to beat Montellier.
    We need racing to not send a shíte team out against Munster

Anything else?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

durkadurka wrote: »
    Not a bad weekend all told for Leinster. Could have been better. Could have been a whole lot worse.
    We're certainly much more likely to qualify than we were on Friday.
    I'd say we're at 50/50 now

It's about as well as it could have gone IMO, no BP for northamption rules them out, leicesters draw almost rules that group out, no bonus point for Munster put it in our own hands.

Only thing that could have reaslistically gone better was Montpelier result and us not scoring more tries last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

ktulu123 wrote: »

Anything else?

If Toulon win, both Munster and Leinster could go through if they get 5 points. Also, Toulouse could come into it if they lose but get 2 bonus points but it's unlikely.

Anything else?

We likely need either of last two, not both.

• Advertisement

The tries could be telling...

One thing is for sure, we're on the right side of Lady Luck compared to the earlier rounds, injuries and results are looking good. We need 5 points next week. If Toulon win we also have a little bit of pressure off us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Anything else?

I think the Toulon - Montpelier game is irrelevant if points 1 and 3 above happen. Meaning we would qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Anything else?

Assuming we get a bonus point win next week(which is certainly not definite), we only need to either better Munsters result(by either them only getting 4 points or by scoring two more tries) or have Toulon beat Montpellier, we dont need both of these to happen. In fact it looks like it would be better if only one goes our way because if both go our was we will probably be playing away to Clermont, whereas is one goes our way we will be away to Harlequins,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Toulon play Montpellier before our match v Exeter. If Montpellier lose, we know that all we need is a BP? That could be a big advantage.

Massive. Just can't see Toulon bothering.

Tox56 wrote: »
    Toulon play Montpellier before our match v Exeter. If Montpellier lose, we know that all we need is a BP? That could be a big advantage.

Then if we get BP, We should not go for more than 4 tries! Meaning we can't pass Munster out on tries scored!!

Head sore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Massive. Just can't see Toulon bothering.

Course they're going to bother. They've a home QF to play for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Has anyone read todays Times?

Peter O' Reilly is reporting that the IRFU still haven't opened up negotiations to renew Sexton's central contract.

It expires at the end of the season and he's already been made offers by four French clubs.

I doubt he'd actually go to France but I'd still like this situation to have been sorted out a bit sooner. Sexton is Ireland's most important player.

Although it seems like agent talk atm.

Agreed, it's starting to look to me like 20 points would be enough. In fact more likely we won't get to 20 than 20 not being enough IMO.

Yeah trouble is if we go too well we could end up playing clermont away. Best result for Irish rugby would be for Munster to qualify 7th and us at 8th... So we can get Quins :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

That's a good point alright, could easily get knocked down to 5th if they lose.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement