Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

And toulon only have M-de-M the week after so no need to rest players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

IMO Toulon have a great shot at getting the #1 seeding. I can't see them sending the 2nds to Montpellier to risk that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Clegg wrote: »
    I doubt he'd actually go to France but I'd still like this situation to have been sorted out a bit sooner. Sexton is Ireland's most important player.

Move wouldnt change his importance to Ireland. It would also solve the blockage problem in front of Mad Dog. Which could be good for Ireland overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Almaviva wrote: »
    Move wouldnt change his importance to Ireland. It would also solve the blockage problem in front of Mad Dog. Which could be good for Ireland overall.

I can understand that arguement from an Ireland POV but for Leinster losing Sexton would be a disaster.

I can understand that arguement from an Ireland POV but for Leinster losing Sexton would be a disaster.

Sure. But the likely alternative is letting Madigan go. We cannot hold two OHs of that level unless one starts to play regularly at first centre. At the moment, no real sign of that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Clegg wrote: »
    Has anyone read todays Times?

Peter O' Reilly is reporting that the IRFU still haven't opened up negotiations to renew Sexton's central contract.

It expires at the end of the season and he's already been made offers by four French clubs.

I doubt he'd actually go to France but I'd still like this situation to have been sorted out a bit sooner. Sexton is Ireland's most important player.

Although it seems like agent talk atm.

Yeah I was reading that.

Certainly if he got a big deal from a French club, which you would think he would, it would negate any possible loss of the tax thing they get if they retire in Ireland. Also though he could well come back to Ireland and still possibly get it.

If he does go it will be a big loss to Leinster but a part of me will be happy for him all the same.

It's hard to know if it is just agent talk too. His achieved a lot with Leinster already so a new club could be a real boost to him. He's also said or implied that he's not always a fan of being rested for games under the player welfare scheme and so if he does leave he would get more control over himself, possibly!

I have to say though for Ireland this, playing wise anyway, would be a blessing in disguise. Well only if Madigan becomes first choice at Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Wouldn't mind him going to France short-term in a year or two. Madigan probably isn't ready to be first choice yet, but there will come a time when being 2nd choice all the time won't be good enough for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

borat-dance.gif

Best gif use I've ever seen on boards.

Well done sir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

In the (rather likely, let's be honest) event that Leinster don't get the try BP in Exeter, but just secure a standard win, am I right in saying the following:

(a) Toulon to beat Montpellier, and Montpellier not getting a try BP or a losing BP
    (b) Munster to not win with a try BP and score two less tries than we do.
    (c) Toulouse to beat Leicester or Leicester to beat Toulouse and Toulouse not getting a try or losing BP
    (d) Biarritz not to win with a try BP
    (e) Northampton not to win and a try BP and 3 more tries than us.

If (a) happens, 2 spots are open for teams with 19+ points, so we would need 3 of the 4 scenarios (b) -> (d) to occur.

But if (a) doesn't happen, i.e., Montpellier get a point from the Toulon game, we need all four of scenarios (b) -> (d).

(All this is obviously on the assumption we can't surpass the likes of Leicester, Toulouse, Biarritz on tries scored, seeing as this would give us the try BP win)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Tox56 wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind him going to France short-term in a year or two. Madigan probably isn't ready to be first choice yet, but there will come a time when being 2nd choice all the time won't be good enough for him.

Anyone hear on the vinegrape that this is what kidney is advising to IRFU to allow happen? I have. Mad's at Leinster, JJ Hanrahan/Keatly at Munster, Jackson at Connacht is best for Irish rugby...Sexton to Racing Metro could be on the table...

Saves a few bob for IRFU but ridiculous if allowed to happen...

RB

PS Have heard Kidney is discussing "informally" a return to munster so the conspiracy theorist in me will ask why he would weaken Leinster...;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

rockbeast wrote: »
    Anyone hear on the vinegrape that this is what kidney is advising to IRFU to allow happen? I have. Mad's at Leinster, JJ Hanrahan/Keatly at Munster, Jackson at Connacht is best for Irish rugby...Sexton to Racing Metro could be on the table...

RB

PS Have heard Kidney is discussing "informally" a return to munster so the conspiracy theorist in me will ask why he would weaken Leinster...;)

Where did you hear all this?

Am I the only one who has no contacts in powerful places???

RB

That all sounds like absolute Horse****

Fishooks13 wrote: »

I SAID has anyone heard! I don't believe it is true, apologies for not stating/qualifying what I believe:(

Have heard a rumour and today's article makes me consider (drunk guy at the bar) something I heard this week...

You/one would think JS's contract would be THE priority for IRFU right now, surely..?

My post was ill considered then, apologies, but my source(drunk guy at bar;)) has been right before...

RB

Fishooks13 wrote: »

Apart from the bit about Dec working on his exit strategy. Even he surely knows he's on borrowed time in the Ireland job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Am I the only person who thinks it wouldn't be good for Ireland? Sextons the player he is now because of the style Leinster play at. Who knows what type of player he'd turn into if he went to a French club.

Furthermore, Ireland only need two top class OHs at any one time. Madigan moving is more likely, but seeing as Jackson is being groomed for the 2nd place jersey neither of them moving would benefit Ireland or Leinster IMO.

.ak wrote: »
    Am I the only person who thinks it wouldn't be good for Ireland? Sextons the player he is now because of the style Leinster play at. Who knows what type of player he'd turn into if he went to a French club.

Furthermore, Ireland only need two top class OHs at any one time. Madigan moving is more likely, but seeing as Jackson is being groomed for the 2nd place jersey neither of them moving would benefit Ireland or Leinster IMO.

Of course It wouldn't be good for Ireland!

.ak wrote: »

No, you're not. Sexton is a priority for the next 4 years of Irish rugby IMO.

BUT Ireland should be aiming for 120 great players, 2 top class players for every position in all 4 provinces...I know it's a lot to ask but we should at least try...

RB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

That smells highly of agent talk. Sexton is now probably the most important player for Ireland and his next contract should reflect that. Pointiing out offers in France would be the best way to maximise his value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I SAID has anyone heard! I don't believe it is true, apologies for not stating/qualifying what I believe:(

Have heard a rumour and today's article makes me consider (drunk guy at the bar) something I heard this week...

You/one would think JS's contract would be THE priority for IRFU right now, surely..?

My post was ill considered then, apologies, but my source(drunk guy at bar;)) has been right before...

RB

I doubt Kidney is advising anything to the IRFU, Jackson to Connacht?? That doesn't even make sense tbqh.

And I doubt he's coming back to Munster either.

Sexton's contract is very important but it has nothing to do with Kidney. Leinster are not going to let him go, and I can't see the IRFU wanting him to go abroad either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭circos

Reminds me of the BOD in Biarritz ploy to get the IRFU to bump up his contract offer.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I doubt Kidney is advising anything to the IRFU, Jackson to Connacht?? That doesn't even make sense tbqh.

And I doubt he's coming back to Munster either.

Sexton's contract is very important but it has nothing to do with Kidney. Leinster are not going to let him go, and I can't see the IRFU wanting him to go abroad either.

Just saw that, I meant Jackson/Ulster, obviously...Hope that's not causing consternation;)

Kidney does advise on who gets central contracts though. And Kidney's not that old so why would he not consider returning back to Munster>

Anyway, Leinster thread so don't want to derail...

Can we all agree that JS should be signed up ASAP? (Within reason of course for IRFU, BOD to Biarritx, ROG to Miami Dolphins, agent BS, etc...)

RB

circos wrote: »
    Reminds me of the BOD in Biarritz ploy to get the IRFU to bump up his contract offer.

A bit yeah, but BOD hadn't won the HEC a few times at that stage so things are a bit different now for Sexton.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Sexton is shaping up to be the greatest Irish OH of the professional era. Leinster would be mad to let him go.

Any update on BOD by the way???

Higher wrote: »
    Sexton is shaping up to be the greatest Irish OH of the professional era. Leinster would be mad to let him go.

Any update on BOD by the way???

If a French club come in with a big money offer it won't be Leinster's decision.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If a French club come in with a big money offer it won't be Leinster's decision.

Leinster should try match it in my opinion (tax break would help them in that scenario). it was reported that he took 400k less to stay with Leinster after a french club came in so obviously he wants to stay here. The guy is crucial to Leinster's future and still has another 6-8 years of top level rugby in him.

• Advertisement

If he's being offered 500 -750K I'd prefer if Leinster didn't match it to be honest. It would be bad financial management and be bad for the club.

Then you got to add in that if Sexton gets it well maybe some of the other players will think they could get it too and the pay scales would go out the window completely.

Do you not think it should be, though? If Leinster get a home semi in rabo and every Leinster fan is asked to donate 20e on the night to fund JS's next season I'm sure we could drum up 240ek(12kx20e)...

I don't mean to be glib with above. I know IRFU have to play hardball with some agents now(not necessarily Sexton's).

RB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

If he's being offered 500 -750K I'd prefer if Leinster didn't match it to be honest. It would be bad financial management and be bad for the club.

Then you got to add in that if Sexton gets it well maybe some of the other players will think they could get it too and the pay scales would go out the window completely.

Yeh, we don't want it to go the way of the football.

Do you not think it should be, though? If Leinster get a home semi in rabo and every Leinster fan is asked to donate 20e on the night to fund JS's next season I'm sure we could drum up 240ek(12kx20e)...

I don't mean to be glib with above. I know IRFU have to play hardball with some agents now(not necessarily Sexton's).

RB

No, that's a bad idea. It could be a source of tension I think between the fans and Sexton and between the players.

What if we don't get a home Semi in the Rabo? Also we'd have to get a Semi each year for three years or however long the duration of the contract is.

Then you got to add in will people pay it? Not a chance if you ask me.

No, that's a bad idea. It could be a source of tension I think between the fans and Sexton and between the players.

What if we don't get a home Semi in the Rabo? Also we'd have to get a Semi each year for three years or however long the duration of the contract is.

Then you got to add in will people pay it? Not a chance if you ask me.

I hope it's pretty obvious I wasn't being serious theer, Cat..?

My point is/was JS is that important to Leinster/Leinster fans.

RB

• Advertisement

I hope it's pretty obvious I wasn't being serious theer, Cat..?

Eh...yeah...yeah I got it :o

Eh...yeah...yeah I got it :o

Personally I'd donate 50e! :)

RB

Personally I'd donate 50e! :)

RB

That's grand, you've just covered my 20e so :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

We could seriously rue not getting more tries last night.With the bonus wrapped up after 44 mins we should really have gotten at least 2 or 3 more tries after that.That late Madigan try is just about keeping us in it because i can see Munster destroying Racing next week.We'r gonna need at least 5/6 tries in Exeter IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

That's grand, you've just covered my 20e so :pac::pac:

And half of mine :D

Hes on 500,000 or something and was offered near 1million by a french club...

Neil3030 wrote: »
    And half of mine :D

I thought this is the Leinster forum? We're all rich, ROYSH! Pay your own Johnny Sexton contract donation..;)

RB

I didn't think it was that high, more 350-400K but no way can we afford 1 million per year.

Remember if he gets it then Kearney, Heaslip, and SOB would also be realistic in thinking that they should get it too.

It would be very bad financial management for either the IRFU or Leinster to try and compete financially with the French clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I hear the Miami Dolphins are offering him big bucks too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭ironingbored

funtime93 wrote: »
    We could seriously rue not getting more tries last night.With the bonus wrapped up after 44 mins we should really have gotten at least 2 or 3 more tries after that.That late Madigan try is just about keeping us in it because i can see Munster destroying Racing next week.We'r gonna need at least 5/6 tries in Exeter IMO

Did you watch Munster against Edinburgh?

Awful, awful turgidity of the dullest kind. Munster will not destroy anyone.

Can Leinster get a bonus point next week and qualify with the rub of the green? Of course. But it pains me to say I'll be sick if Munster go through at Leinster's expense just because of the god-awful rugby they're playing at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Did you watch Munster against Edinburgh?

Awful, awful turgidity of the dullest kind. Munster will not destroy anyone.

Can Leinster get a bonus point next week and qualify with the rub of the green? Of course. But it pains me to say I'll be sick if Munster go through at Leinster's expense just because of the god-awful rugby they're playing at the moment.
    Agreed. They cant win the HC
    . We can and will if we get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Agreed. They cant win the HC
    . We can and will if we get through.

Based on?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭PJ Maybe

Nice summation. I had a couple of extra scenarios that I've added below but it's pretty much spot on.

I think (f) is a bit unlikely but if we don't get 5 on Saturday I'll be hoping for it.

(a) is the big one though, if that happens Leinster and Munster can both get through by winning with a try bonus point.
    Neil3030 wrote: »
    In the (rather likely, let's be honest) event that Leinster don't get the try BP in Exeter, but just secure a standard win, am I right in saying the following:

(a) Toulon to beat Montpellier, and Montpellier not getting a try BP or a losing BP
    (b) Munster to not win with a try BP and score two less tries than we do.
    (c) (Toulouse to beat Leicester) or (Leicester to beat Toulouse and Toulouse not getting a try or losing BP) or (Leicester to draw with Toulouse but not get a try BP)
    (d) Biarritz not to win with a try BP
    (e) Northampton not to win and a try BP and 3 more tries than us.
    (f) Edinburgh to win and Saracens not getting a try BP or a losing BP and Saracens to score 3 less tries than us.

If (a) happens, 2 spots are open for teams with 19+ points, so we would need 3 of the 4 scenarios (b) -> (e) to occur.

If (f) happens then Munster qualify top of their pool so we need the 3 scenarios (c) -> (e) to occur.

If (a) and (f) happen then we need 2 of the 3 scenarios (c) -> (e) to occur.

But if neither (a) or (f) happen, i.e., Montpellier get a point from the Toulon game, we need all four of scenarios (b) -> (e).

(All this is obviously on the assumption we can't surpass the likes of Leicester, Toulouse, Biarritz on tries scored, seeing as this would give us the try BP win)

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Based on?
    having a near full strength side again and three titles in four years. A pretty good start I'd say. Also, the other contender is Clermont and a weakened side of ours ran the very close, should have won, Away.
    We have not shown the same brilliance this year but they haven't suddenly become a bad side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ongarite

Is the Exeter game live next weekend or on red button?

Tweet from Leinster OLSC saying its red button only but I could have sworn I saw the TV schedule after the Ospreys game and it was live on SS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

ongarite wrote: »

Tweet from Leinster OLSC saying its red button only but I could have sworn I saw the TV schedule after the Ospreys game and it was live on SS2.

Yeah I saw it was the game being shown on SS2 as well, I mean there's more riding on that game and it is an English side and an Irish side playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

ongarite wrote: »

I thought the same. Saw the tweet checked the schedule and it says Clermont v Scarlets on the Sky website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

having a near full strength side again and three titles in four years. A pretty good start I'd say. Also, the other contender is Clermont and a weakened side of ours ran the very close, should have won, Away.
    We have not shown the same brilliance this year but they haven't suddenly become a bad side.

I'd have to say that's a fairly optimistic outlook....we ran them close away but Clermont beat us fairly comfortably here. I would say they are clear favourites given their home QF and to be honest they just are a better team right now.

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    I'd have to say that's a fairly optimistic outlook....we ran them close away but Clermont beat us fairly comfortably here. I would say they are clear favourites given their home QF and to be honest they just are a better team right now.

1.yes it is optomistic
    2. yes we ran them close and should have won.
    3. We were beaten up and deflated having got nothing from a huge effort and lacked depth for a seven day turnaround.
    4. yes they are favourites
    5. At the moment they are. give us a game or two more and few more for them too(few injuries thrown in). A home grand final and a good atmosphere. We'll win. But only if things go right next week and that's a big if.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I thought the same. Saw the tweet checked the schedule and it says Clermont v Scarlets on the Sky website.

On the TV schedule on my Sky box it says the live match is Clermont v Scarletts. Bet they'll change it though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement