Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭PJ Maybe

ongarite wrote: »
    Is the Exeter game live next weekend or on red button?

Tweet from Leinster OLSC saying its red button only but I could have sworn I saw the TV schedule after the Ospreys game and it was live on SS2.

On the website it says, and has said since before the weekend, that it's red button.

After the matches today they said it was on the main channel and the Clermont game was red button.

I'd imagine that the website show's a preliminary schedule that can change based on events. The fact that the Scarlets v Clermont game doesn't affect qualification for the quarter finals whereas the Leinster game does should mean they'll be showing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

PJ Maybe wrote: »
    On the website it says, and has said since before the weekend, that it's red button.

After the matches today they said it was on the main channel and the Clermont game was red button.

I'd imagine that the website show's a preliminary schedule that can change based on events. The fact that the Scarlets v Clermont game doesn't affect qualification for the quarter finals whereas the Leinster game does should mean they'll be showing it.
    They also said that they'd be doing the show from the Exeter stadium, hardly likely they'd be doing that and red buttoning the match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

OLSC facebook saying the same thing. But I really can't see the Clermont Scarlets game being the main game, their faith already decided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

when running through the fixtures after leicster ospreys today they had it as the main game on ss2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

1.yes it is optomistic
    2. yes we ran them close and should have won.
    3. We were beaten up and deflated having got nothing from a huge effort and lacked depth for a seven day turnaround.
    4. yes they are favourites
    5. At the moment they are. give us a game or two more and few more for them too(few injuries thrown in). A home grand final and a good atmosphere. We'll win. But only if things go right next week and that's a big if.

Isnt it very likely that if Leinster get through to the 1/4 they will have to travel to Clermont for it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Isnt it very likely that if Leinster get through to the 1/4 they will have to travel to Clermont for it?
    It's actually quite unlikely. Harlequins are top at the moment and you can't see them dropping below their average of 45 points a game in the HEC against a disinterested Biarritz which will keep them top. Toulon and Clermont are on the same points, but Toulon have more tries and again a BP win by both puts Toulon ahead. If they reverse positions, then we could end up playing Clermont if we finish in seventh place.

We're most likely to be playing Quins or Toulon away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I'd have no issue going to Quinn's in the 1/4s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

There are no easy games for Leinster if we manage to squeeze into the quarter finals unfortunately. I want Quins because its the easiest game for me to travel to, but they'll be a tough prospect.

Hopefully any semi final draw will be kind to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

There are no easy games for Leinster if we manage to squeeze into the quarter finals unfortunately. I want Quins because its the easiest game for me to travel to, but they'll be a tough prospect.

Hopefully any semi final draw will be kind to us.
    i agree and I would have thought the way the fixtures are arraanged it would not be possible to meet a team from your own group until the Grand Final. I expect Clermont to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

i agree and I would have thought the way the fixtures are arraanged it would not be possible to meet a team from your own group until the Grand Final. I expect Clermont to be there.
    We could play clermont at any stage. Quarters, semis or final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

French news reporting Sexton to Racing Metro is nearly done.

I think we should try and do everything to keep him within reason but it is only a matter of time before Ireland loses a big star to France. If its not Sexton Kearney or Heaslip or Donnacha Ryan could be next. Every other 6N country has players in France bar us. Personally I think it's a year too soon for Madigan to step up and Sexton is vital. We need to keep him if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fanki na pengin

Lads, I realise this is all speculation and the fun of the HEC, but 5 points at Exeter first! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Bit early for a lame april fool's isn't it? His contract isn't even up, is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I think we should try and do everything to keep him within reason but it is only a matter of time before Ireland loses a big star to France. If its not Sexton Kearney or Heaslip or Donnacha Ryan could be next. Every other 6N country has players in France bar us. Personally I think it's a year too soon for Madigan to step up and Sexton is vital. We need to keep him if possible.

This is the key point. Floodgates could well open up if a big star makes the move. IRFU need to be mindful of this.

Sexton is to big a leader within the team, and I think MadDog needs another year before he steps up.

If we let him go, a lot of other big names could follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

It's not about letting him go, it's about Sexton's choice. The IRFU cannot and will not match the money that Racing are capable of offering. It's a case of whether Sexton wants to go for a whopper contract in Paris or does he hang on with his province on less money but make a chunk of that back in the tax rebate. This is his last opportunity to take a really big contract abroad. If I was him, I'd strongly consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Lads, I realise this is all speculation and the fun of the HEC, but 5 points at Exeter first! :D

This. A thousand times this.

First things first. We want Toulon to win. Then we need 5 points from our game. IF they both happen then we can worry about seeding etc.

GerM wrote: »
    It's not about letting him go, it's about Sexton's choice. The IRFU cannot and will not match the money that Racing are capable of offering. It's a case of whether Sexton wants to go for a whopper contract in Paris or does he hang on with his province on less money but make a chunk of that back in the tax rebate. This is his last opportunity to take a really big contract abroad. If I was him, I'd strongly consider it.

He's only 27. I would imagine another big foreign contract could well be on the table when he's 30-31. Especially as an out-half. Not to take anything from the rest of your point, I just don't think this is his last opportunity for a big foreign pay-day.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    He's only 27. I would imagine another big foreign contract could well be on the table when he's 30-31. Especially as an out-half. Not to take anything from the rest of your point, I just don't think this is his last opportunity for a big foreign pay-day.

He's 28 in summer. I would think his earning potential will be affected slightly once he goes past that 30 mark. I'm sure he'll have plenty of offers but not to the extent that he does this time around. Also, moving later in his career is playing with fire as he'll be looking to secure a contract back in Ireland at 32 or 33 to finish his career here and avail of the tax refund.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭Banbridgeman2

He turned down a million from a French club before. Would this mean that PJ would be Ireland's #1 outhalf by default?

• Advertisement

He turned down a million from a French club before. Would this mean that PJ would be Ireland's #1 outhalf by default?

2 more years of Rogby

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

If Sexton were to move, he would still be picked for Ireland, and Madigan would be first choice at Leinster, so if anything PJ would have even more competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I just don't think this is his last opportunity for a big foreign pay-day.

your right it isn't his last opportunity at a big foreign pay-day, however the key point is that it is last opportunity to have a big foreign pay-day AND still be good enough to get a new contract with a province after the big pay day so to avail of the tax break as well.

your right it isn't his last opportunity at a big foreign pay-day, however the key point is that it is last opportunity to have a big foreign pay-day AND still be good enough to get a new contract with a province after the big pay day so to avail of the tax break as well.

yup, this the important thing. 2 year "sabbatical" now fits in with World Cups (back in recognition for 1 year before next WC), Lions (gets picked on this year's form), tax (comes back and plays 4/5 more years meaning eligible for tax break - see Shane Byrne).

Ultimately, I think that from his perspective, and the money on offer, he'd be mad not to give it a go.

From a Leinster perspective, Booooo-urns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭Banbridgeman2

Tox56 wrote: »

If Sexton were to move, he would still be picked for Ireland, and Madigan would be first choice at Leinster, so if anything PJ would have even more competition.
    Have IRFU not said before that moving abroad seriously hampers a players selection chances? Especially to a French club where they will have little regard for upcoming internationals.I know Reddan and Bowe are exceptions but Reddan was surplus to requirements when he left and Bowe went to Rabo team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Sexton is an exception at this stage. He's our (irelands) number one outhalf by a mile.

Have IRFU not said before that moving abroad seriously hampers a players selection chances? Especially to a French club where they will have little regard for upcoming internationals.I know Reddan and Bowe are exceptions but Reddan was surplus to requirements when he left and Bowe went to Rabo team

I don't know what the IRFU would do, but given Sexton's age and obvious ability they would be mad to stop picking the best 10 in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

Massive loss for Leinster if he goes. But I can see his reasoning if he does. I mean, why wouldn't he want a new challenge, and he deserves the big bucks that would come with it.

BOD having a scan today and, contrary to earlier reports, it's the same ankle as before and not the "good" ankle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

I reckon this is like BOD and Heaslip last contract and agents talking all over again. Sexton owes Leinster nothing based on his monumental rise since that kick in Croke Park.

I personally believe he will stay and his contract will be what BOD's highest contract was which was c400k if I recall. He took a paycut in the last one afaik. He also has some Irish based sponsorship deals with all add up too.

The IRFU may go as high as 450k but that will be it.

500-750k+ is obviously very attractive but Sexton is well settled here, not too flashy, has his girlfriend here and his family are all based in and around Dublin 6 too. I think he will stay.

BOD having a scan today and, contrary to earlier reports, it's the same ankle as before and not the "good" ankle.

Same ankle that is worse then....

He's 28 in summer. I would think his earning potential will be affected slightly once he goes past that 30 mark. I'm sure he'll have plenty of offers but not to the extent that he does this time around. Also, moving later in his career is playing with fire as he'll be looking to secure a contract back in Ireland at 32 or 33 to finish his career here and avail of the tax refund.

I hadn't thought of that at all. Definitely makes the move more appealing, imo.

Was at both games at the weekend and the physicality in the A game was immense I must say.

Coghlan and Macken have a super understanding together at centre too so that was a big plus.

As regards the scarlets game, still in with a fighting chance next week and thats all you can ask for.

I would have taken a 5 try win before kickoff and although frustrating not to get a few more, its always easier said than done. Next weeks permutations until the final game are going to be nailbiting.

Much more positives than negatives for me and it would be a great start to 2013 to get into the QF's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

As I see it, Madigan is a far more complete and confident operator and Keatley is a far more experienced and reliable player. Sexton is however light years ahead of the pack. If he goes to France, it will be great for him. Who would turn down a package that might amount I would guess at almost 2,000,000 Euro - or more -over the life of a contract plus a great life style in France.

No matter how good we hope Paddy might become in the future, he is nowhere near international level. Even as an ardent Ulster supporter it is evident to me that he has a long way to go to be the real deal, even at Ulster. He has many attributes that may see him succeed. He is pretty quick, can attack the gain line, has a great passing ability and for a small guy he can tackle properly. Not the girly, girly arm flaps and bluffing fakery we are used to seeing extolled as 'bravery'.

There are areas of his game that are nowhere nearly good enough and he needs to be on the money more consistently in order to be considered. His goal kicking has disintegrated as he has come under the malign coaching of Doak, who seems to be able to ruin all of Ulster's goal kickers with impunity. Mincer, NOC and P.J. were all pretty good goal kickers but Doak is the kicking coach. They are now crap at it. Is this a coincidence? No. It isn't. Doak is a very good backs coach according to the players so I'm not insulting his ability overall. Just this one area.

Feck sake. We were decent in attack last week (in the first half anyway), but BOD would turn that from "decent" into "excellent".

Twice he has got injured this season, and in both games he was looking back to his best just before getting injured. Some of his handling when he came on was vintage BOD.

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    Feck sake. We were decent in attack last week (in the first half anyway), but BOD would turn that from "decent" into "excellent".

Twice he has got injured this season, and in both games he was looking back to his best just before getting injured. Some of his handling when he came on was vintage BOD.

He went to IC for the last play because he was hobbling. I really didn't want him to play on and I am worried it could be a nasty one now.

ssaye wrote: »
    I reckon this is like BOD and Heaslip last contract and agents talking all over again. Sexton owes Leinster nothing based on his monumental rise since that kick in Croke Park.

I personally believe he will stay and his contract will be what BOD's highest contract was which was c400k if I recall. He took a paycut in the last one afaik. He also has some Irish based sponsorship deals with all add up too.

The IRFU may go as high as 450k but that will be it.

500-750k+ is obviously very attractive but Sexton is well settled here, not too flashy, has his girlfriend here and his family are all based in and around Dublin 6 too. I think he will stay.

I think at least €500k will be needed to keep him.

Also his girlfriend is a teacher so she has loads of time off and could realistically travel over every Friday afternoon for the season and its only Paris is France, so probably door to door in approx two and a half hours, not exactly the other side of the world.

I would be more worried as to who would be next. I don't know how long the IRFU can put their finger in the dam though. Every other nation has lost players to the French money, surely we have to fall shortly. Wales tried the idea of not selecting players for the National team and it seems to only concern Lee Byrne, the rest of the players still get selected.

Wales tried the idea of not selecting players for the National team and it seems to only concern Lee Byrne, the rest of the players still get selected.

Not really. Gethin Jenkins lost his starting spot. Luke Charteris did too. Mike Phillips was dropped for the Argentina game. They're still involved but far less secure of their spots than they were before departing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Sexton would be mad not to go if the money was huge. 2 years abroad then come home and play out the rest of his career in Ireland.

I really hope rugby doesn't go the way of football with ridiculous wages being paid. However, it will be very hard to stop it.

I use to be all about football but over the last number of years I find my interest waning as it's become so predictable. It's become a game of who can spend the most money these days and it's heartbreaking when you see your team unable to hold onto it's best players because of money.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I really hope Rugby doesn't end up going the way of football with mega-bucks payments to players. :(

• Advertisement

Hollande should give the millionaire tax another lash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

awec wrote: »
    I really hope Rugby doesn't end up going the way of football with mega-bucks payments to players. :(

The next thing that will happen rugby is paying clubs for players in contract - as what happens in Soccer.

The only thing that can stop all this is the IRB and I am not sure how they can do that with interfering with Labour Law. Players have a right to make as much money out of something that they can.

The next thing that will happen rugby is paying clubs for players in contract - as what happens in Soccer.

The only thing that can stop all this is the IRB and I am not sure how they can do that with interfering with Labour Law. Players have a right to make as much money out of something that they can.

Surely they could cap the overall spending of a club on wages, as is done in the NFL. To be honest, the pool of top class teams is small enough that it could work.

I think the ERC need to do something about it before it spirals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

Lads we've never lost a top class player to a foreign club, and have yet to do so. I think everyone is getting a bit worked up herre

decisions wrote: »
    I think the ERC need to do something about it before it spirals.

Whats the max number of players in a french league squad again. Could Toulon buy another 10 players at a mil+ each for instance from Ireland and England

ssaye wrote: »
    Whats the max number of players in a french league squad again. Could Toulon buy another 10 players at a mil+ each for instance from Ireland and England

35? Possibly, not 100% sure on that.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Out of interest where do the French clubs get the loot? Sponsorship? Bigger gates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Out of interest where do the French clubs get the loot? Sponsorship? Bigger gates?

Both of those, and the fact that many of them have millionaire backers willing to throw money at them.

Private ownership. Clermont is run by Rene Fontes (owner of Michellin). Toulon is owned by Mourad Boudjellal, millionaire publisher. Racing are owned by Jacky Lorenzetti, real estate millionaire. Max Guazzini, communications tycoon, was the owner of Stade. Alain Afflelou is president of Bayonne and worth big money too.

I'm not entirely sure about Toulouse as they've a vast set up and are extremely powerful but I'm sure they have a decent level of private money coming through the coffers too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement