Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the garden ready

• 30-06-2012 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi all,
    As per my last thread, I've organised myself a pup which will be arriving very shortly and was hoping to get some advice regarding getting the back garden ready for it.

The pup will be 8 weeks old so obviously won't be able to go out the front/on short walks/public areas, but I assume it'll be safe to play out the back with it and get it used to spending time in the back garden?

The garden itself is fully enclosed and has a long side passage with a gate at both ends of it so escaping/theft isn't really an issue thankfully.

My biggest concern is the cats in the area. I'm not sure who owns what, or if they're owned, but there's quite a few about. What my concern is given that the cats go through the back garden, and have been in public places themselves, will they "contaminate" the back garden and render it unsafe for the pup that is still going through its vaccinations?

The garden has had dogs in it, over 6 years ago though, that shouldn't have an effect, should it?

Finally, we put down bug and weed killer in the patio about a month ago as we had problems with ants and weeds, should that be ok by now in terms of having pets around it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Best run it by your vet, parvo can live up to 7 years in the ground. Animals and weedkiller would also be a concern but I would ask in the Gardening section for advice. Best of luck with the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

there are no diseases the cats can pass to the dog, the only thing he can get from them is worms from eating their poo - but a puppy needs to be wormed regardless.
    Though I'm convinced that my cats caught kennel cough from my dog, but that's another thread;)

Advertisement