Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation

Options
  • 30-06-2012 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Currently living in an old farm house (not sure quite how old). There is an extension at the back of the house. I was wondering, is it possible (OR rather recommended) to externally insulated the original part of the house and pump the newer part? Or is is better to do it all the same? Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

simple answer yes
    but 'old farm house' mean you need to consider moisture and existing structure (by which is mean breathability of rubble stone walls, lime plaster etc)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

Hi OP,
    Original structure as Bryan F mentioned should be assessed as to how this part of the house can breath when externally insulated. -
    For the grant purposes - the last stone cottage I looked at for a client to externally insulate was ruled out of the grant criteria because the client only wanted to have 2 walls done due to the overall expense - grants under the old scheme ( HES ) were not allowed unless 4 walls were getting done.
    If i'm honest I've not looked at one since the new greener homes scheme criteria came on stream - i think the guidelines are the same ( ? )
    The new extension could feasibly be pumped - in my estimation if the costs are better and the U values are similar then its your decision

It would be more straight forward to completely externally insulate however - and the aesthetics will be the same on all elevations / sides of your home - i.e. the window depth / reveals / soffits etc.

Also unless the extension area is huge - the savings will be minimal to go with mixed insulation types.
    mike F

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭BadAngel

Thank you for your replies. Think we need to get a professional out to look at the house. How do we find an independent one??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi OP,
    Original structure as Bryan F mentioned should be assessed as to how this part of the house can breath when externally insulated. -
    For the grant purposes - the last stone cottage I looked at for a client to externally insulate was ruled out of the grant criteria because the client only wanted to have 2 walls done due to the overall expense - grants under the old scheme ( HES ) were not allowed unless 4 walls were getting done.
    If i'm honest I've not looked at one since the new greener homes scheme criteria came on stream - i think the guidelines are the same ( ? )
    The new extension could feasibly be pumped - in my estimation if the costs are better and the U values are similar then its your decision

It would be more straight forward to completely externally insulate however - and the aesthetics will be the same on all elevations / sides of your home - i.e. the window depth / reveals / soffits etc.

Also unless the extension area is huge - the savings will be minimal to go with mixed insulation types.
    mike F
    just to add that if going the EWI route, that the cavity portion of the house should also be pumped, and that some form mineral insulation and render should be reviewed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Hi Folks,

Dragging up a thread here but I'm in the same situation with external insulation. We're in an 1880s detached farm house, I would imagine no DPM. We moved in 6 weeks ago or so.

I need to talk to an expert in insulating for old buildings as I would imagine that insulating a house this old needs to work well with 'breathable' walls, i.e stone built with lime mortar etc. House is very cold and we are planning to insulate attic to try and keep in some heat

Theres is currently a render on the outside which I believe was put on in the 50s or so. This looks like concrete but I couldn't be sure.

This is going to be a big investment so it would be great to get a recommendation for someone around the kildare area to assess and price.

Any other info would be great

• Advertisement
Advertisement