Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any degree

Options
  • 30-06-2012 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi there,

If you have a degree and you end up having no interest working in the industry associated with the degree...Is it easy to get another good job that has no relation, yet the employers value the fact you have a degree?

Also, should you need to study to aid your application for the job you want, am I right in saying most courses only take 18 months on top of having a degree, even though the degree I have is of no relation.

Hope this makes sense.

I'd really appreciate some feedback.

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

hazel111 wrote: »
    Hi there,

If you have a degree and you end up having no interest working in the industry associated with the degree...Is it easy to get another good job that has no relation, yet the employers value the fact you have a degree?

Also, should you need to study to aid your application for the job you want, am I right in saying most courses only take 18 months on top of having a degree, even though the degree I have is of no relation.

Hope this makes sense.

I'd really appreciate some feedback.

Thank you :)
    Sometimes employers will value the fact that you have a degree sometimes they wont it really depends on the job and the employer. Also sometimes there are links between degrees and sectors that you wouldn't realise.

Again it really depends on the job and degree that you are seeking to obtain but you are right there are Masters courses in a lot of fields for graduates that take a year to 18 months even if there is no realation

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ThatsAWrap

I think most employers nowadays expect people to have a degree in something - everyone in the office where I work has a degree regardless of whatever job they are doing. If its related to the work then you might expect a better job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Yep you can do either a postgraduate diploma or masters in a field unrelated to your degree but in an area you might like to work. Most postgrads you only need an Hons degree to get in though the fields are unrelated. They take 1-2 years.

Advertisement