Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is the 48 network worth a go?

Options
  • 30-06-2012 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

value is unreal. anyone on the network give us there view

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭Duff

Been on it now for 3 months. Can't complain at all. Great coverage compared to Vodafone who I was with previously and the value speaks for itself. 3G coverage is as good as any also.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭EI2011

Duff wrote: »
    Been on it now for 3 months. Can't complain at all. Great coverage compared to Vodafone who I was with previously and the value speaks for itself. 3G coverage is as good as any also.

free calls and texts to any networkfor 10 euro ? too good to be true haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭Duff

Well I pay 20 for the unlimited Internet too. But yeah it is that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

EI2011 wrote: »
    value is unreal. anyone on the network give us there view

'48' is owned by Telefonica / o2 so it's the o2 network you are on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Phil92

Switched recently, couldn't recommend it enough. If you do switch, please do it through this link (gives me 5 euro credit)
    http://48months.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

'48' is owned by Telefonica / o2 so it's the o2 network you are on

It's the O2 radio network but you get 3G UMTS and not HSDPA.

And they use their own call routing and data links so I've found data access very slow and laggy in lots of places.

I really can't fault call quality though, I've made so many mobiles calls with them it's really really great!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭flipsat

Is this strictly for 18 to 22 year olds??

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭WOT

I'm there 3 months too, funny enough I've only recently turned 18 again too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Three still sounds better value.Free text+weekend calls,free three to three,unlimited data and 10 Euro free credit at the end of the month.

3G does drop off outside urban areas in fairness.Otherwise it's fine.

I'm not endorsing Three in any way, just voicing an opinion on value.48 does'nt seem to have great 3G either judging by previous posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

The following MVNO all use o2's network: Tesco Mobile, Lyca Mobile and 48months. Which one will provide the best value for you depends on what you use your phone for. Here's a basic guide:

Tesco Mobile is best for international calls
    Lyca Mobile is best for landline calls, international calls and internet
    48months is best if you make a lot of calls to Irish mobiles, but do not make international calls or use the internet much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

My advice, don't touch three with a bargepole, haven't heard any bad reports of 48, I suppose they're basically just re-branded O2?

mmcn90 wrote: »
    My advice, don't touch three with a bargepole, haven't heard any bad reports of 48, I suppose they're basically just re-branded O2?

Bad reports of internet speeds in previous posts.

Is there any network with decent speeds in Ireland?

• Advertisement

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Is there any network with decent speeds in Ireland?

Three are one of the best I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

kneemos wrote: »

Vodafone are also fast, but much more expensive. Vodafone are the only network who currently have a DC-HSPA+ network deployed in Ireland, which is capable of speeds of up to 42,2 Mbit/s on certain devices like the new iPad. But this being Vodafone, you better be prepared to pay a big premium...

kneemos wrote: »

With three, I have a mixture of problems between my iPhone and the network. Slow speeds, dropping coverage and just general problems with Data.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Do you have to be between 18 to 22 to use the network ?

http://48months.ie/deal
    We're not for everyone

If you're living in those reckless 48 months between your 18th and 22nd birthday, step right on up. If not, we're not the network for you.

If they refused you on the basis of your age, I'd imagine you'd have a case to sue them for discrimination.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

I wonder if someone says their 18 will they kick them off the network after 4 years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭kennethk

I've been with them for a couple of months now,unlimited calls and texts are great, can't recommend enough!
    Although, I can't say anything about data.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

What's the story with porting your number from another network? I'm sick to my teeth of Meteor but don't really want to change my number.

The link on their website <http://www.48months.ie/portin> redirects somewhere else, and if you add the missing 'g' you get a 404.

Do you order and activate a SIM card first, and then port? Or does the option to port come up as you go through the ordering process?

Advertisement