Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to get made from a length of silk?

• 30-06-2012 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

I got a gift of a couple of yards of lovely silk from Asia. It's a bit unusual as it is grey pinstripe! So any ideas of what I could get made with it and any recommendations for a tailor or seamstress in Dublin who could design and make a skirt or something from it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

Pyjamas or scarves maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

fiona-f wrote: »
    I got a gift of a couple of yards of lovely silk from Asia. It's a bit unusual as it is grey pinstripe! So any ideas of what I could get made with it and any recommendations for a tailor or seamstress in Dublin who could design and make a skirt or something from it?

Thanks.

What length and width is the cut-length? This will help let you know what can be made from it. If its in the region of 2.7m and at least 1.5m wide then it could make a jacket. Less than that and you could get a pencil skirt out of it. If its 1.2m long by 1.5m wide then you could get trousers out of it.

If the length is 3m or over you could get a jacket and skirt/trousers or jacket and wasitcoat.

As the length is from Asia I strongly recommend you unroll it in daylight and check the weave for flaws, hole, runs or tears. You might need a hand to do it properly. Even with flaws a tailor or dressmaker can cut around them depending on what you want made.

Rosin Cross silks recommend Thomas Wolfangel in Dún Laoighaire as a couturier, you could also try http://anneomahony.com/

As you're supplying the fabric itself you'll need to provide the details above to the couturier and also ask for the cut, make and trim price. This is the price for doing the work and providing the linings, trimmings etc.

Advertisement