Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Dongle rip-off

• 30-06-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

So i was using my dongle internet while playing ps3 all fine and on the programme that u use to enable your internet (mine is 3g watcher) i was under my limit awaiting a bill to find out on my online account which i found out today is "more accurate" im over by 200 euro.. this is an absolute disgrace and wish to warn other users of this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No, its not a discrace. You didnt read up on what you signed up to and was billed accordingly.

Dongles are sold with plans for people who need email etc on the go. Gaming on them is silly and will run you into the red rather quickly.

Your ignorance is the disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

ED E wrote: »
    No, its not a discrace. You didnt read up on what you signed up to and was billed accordingly.

Dongles are sold with plans for people who need email etc on the go. Gaming on them is silly and will run you into the red rather quickly.

Your ignorance is the disgrace.

I agree with your post the OP should have read the small print of what he was signing up to.

Having said all that €200 is a total joke and I will advise the OP to fight it.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Shanew14

Ranicand wrote: »
    I agree with your post the OP should have read the small print of what he was signing up to.

Having said all that €200 is a total joke and I will advise the OP to fight it.
    The major issue i have with the whole thing is i took the programme usage at face value it said i was under the limit so why would i have any reason to question that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Get on to 02, they should have a cut off limit that you can enable, if you go over your monthly allowance 02 will cut you off at X amount of money spent. (Almost certain 02 have it)

Get on to 02, they should have a cut off limit that you can enable, if you go over your monthly allowance 02 will cut you off at X amount of money spent. (Almost certain 02 have it)

I have now enabled a message to let me know.. i will get onto them if i survive when my mam finds the bill with 200 quid on it

• Advertisement

Shanew14 wrote: »
    I have now enabled a message to let me know.. i will get onto them if i survive when my mam finds the bill with 200 quid on it

You could try using the two different data loggers as a defense but in all likely hood 02 won't back down, need to remember that if your dongle is used on the PS3 and PC then you'll need to add the data from both.

Find and unlocked dongle and get a pay as you go Three sim then top up for one month and see if your getting the same quality as 02, if so then Three have a 60GB contract which might be worth looking in to if your a heavy data user.

You could try using the two different data loggers as a defense but in all likely hood 02 won't back down, need to remember that if your dongle is used on the PS3 and PC then you'll need to add the data from both.

I know what u mean just taught id let people know not to make the same mistake i did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Your lucky. I remember getting 400 punts bills in 2000 or so. Plus the agro from tying up the phone line for hours. The arguments were epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

No such thing, but you can get a text alert to let you know you've hit the limit.

Well since im only 17 my mam will find out and il get the full brunt!

• Advertisement

sdeire wrote: »
    No such thing, but you can get a text alert to let you know you've hit the limit.

You sure they don't have a cut off, either way an alert is worth looking into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

The major issue i have with the whole thing is i took the programme usage at face value it said i was under the limit so why would i have any reason to question that?

Proper grounds to fight it in my opinion.

If you fight you might get the bill reduced but you will still have to pay some of it.
    You say you are just 17 you have just learned the hard way.

Those dongles are only a rip off much better to pay for proper broadband in the first place.

If you fight you might get the bill reduced but you will still have to pay some of it.
    You say you are just 17 you have just learned the hard way.

Those dongles are only a rip off much better to pay for proper broadband in the first place.

I would get proper broadband but i was talking to eircom last week and they said theres no point were 10k from the exchange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nope.

He used a 3rd party app that failed to monitor the connection, thats his doing. If he'd used the dongles own management software then he'd have got combined/total usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 snr3

ED E wrote: »
    Nope.

He used a 3rd party app that failed to monitor the connection, thats his doing. If he'd used the dongles own management software then he'd have got combined/total usage.

Dude u have no idea what ur talking about... 3g Watcher is an application that comes with the drivers that are on that dongle, its not a 3rd party application, and it does count inacurate, this is a software o2 is supplying u when they sell u this dongle and this is only their fault. I had a problem like this like 2 years back. Same dongle (probably) and same application. I get and bill to pay of 300 euros, they claimed it was my fault and i need to pay i wrote them letter in writen about the situation and that they suppy this application and said i would go to small claim court (i would) and they have cancelled whole bill (even subscription) and give me next 3 months free as an apology. Cos it was their fault. Im only suprised they still give that crap to their new customers even they are aware of this problem, i guess 1/50 customers will be smart enough to refuse to pay so meybe they do it on purpose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

So i was using my dongle internet while playing ps3 all fine and on the programme that u use to enable your internet (mine is 3g watcher) i was under my limit awaiting a bill to find out on my online account which i found out today is "more accurate" im over by 200 euro.. this is an absolute disgrace and wish to warn other users of this.

Thanks for posting this. Im on 15 gb o2 mobile broadband and use it for playstation and haven't been anywhere near my limit so far. I wasn't using the online account to check balance but will from now on. I can only assume you are on the 2gb plan or you play alot of playstation!! Try and fight it and let us know how you get on. i dont understand why the statistics on the dongle itself cant match the online account. It is very misleading

• Registered Users Posts: 32 codod

Did ye ever look into using your phone as a dongle (using the tethering feature). I have a samsung galaxy with Three Ireland. I get unlimited data. Whenever i need internet i just enable the internet tethering on the phone and connect the laptop using wireless to it. No extra bills or dongles required!!

Advertisement