Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mens Watches

Options
  • 30-06-2012 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Looking for male opinions!
    Getting my boyfriend a watch for his graduation in August and I need to know what kind of brands are male approved.
    I'm looking for stainless steel, and have a budget of around €200-€250.
    I seen a nice one in Tommy Hilfiger, but I'm not sure if that's a good brand to get?
    He's 23 (I don't know if age is a factor since people keep watches for years, but I said I'd throw it in!)
    I'll appreciate any feedback!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Doc Daneeka

I'll let others come in with the recommendations but the first rule to note is that watches from fashion designers like Tommy Hilfiger are not cool.

For the money you are considering spending you should start to look at brands who make watches first and foremost. Seiko would be a good place to start, excellent quality and value for money. There are plenty others also.

Doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

Parents got me a nice black guess watch... I don't wear watches, but it's nice to have it for when I need to "dress up" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I'll let others come in with the recommendations but the first rule to note is that watches from fashion designers like Tommy Hilfiger are not cool.

For the money you are considering spending you should start to look at brands who make watches first and foremost. Seiko would be a good place to start, excellent quality and value for money. There are plenty others also.

Doc.

Only for us "watch geeks" tbf. Have a look at what most people wear and you'll see Armani, Guess, Hugo Boss etc..

The only advice I'd give the OP is if you would like him to keep it a long time then don't try to buy anything particularly flashy, I'm not saying he would like it even now, but if he liked something like Mark Ecko now, then chances are in 10 years he'd cringe looking at it, so go for something simple that would look well now, and also wouldn't look out of place on a man 20-30 years older.

I'm not sure if they still do it, but Rotary used to do a lifetime warranty on their watches (movement only and quartz), you register your watch with them, bought from an authorised dealer and they will remind you in 5 years to send it back to them for a check up. There should be some nice watches that he would like around that price something like this http://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/d/9127313/rotary+stainless+steel+bracelet+watch/ or this http://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/d/9205837/rotary+stainless+steel+chronograph+watch/

Classic designs like the above never go out of fashion, and a black face is always a safe bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Doc Daneeka

Nolimits wrote: »

For the money you are considering spending you should start to look at brands who make watches first and foremost. Seiko would be a good place to start, excellent quality and value alue for money. There are plenty others also.

Doc.

Only for us "watch geeks" tbf. Have a look at what most people wear and you'll see Armani, Guess, Hugo Boss etc..

Ha, maybe. But this is a watch geek forum! :-)

I guess yeah, a 'designer' watch can be fine. Still for the money the OP wants to spend I'd recommend looking beyond for something that will have a long term appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Better yet, why not both of you go window shopping and ask him to show you a few models that might appeal to him. IMO, it's better to have a pleasant half surprise than a full unpleasant one. I know I would prefer to at least give my wife a hint if there's a more substantial present involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

I had written a fairly lengthy piece on this - but I got logged out and lost it all! Grrrrrrr!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Anyway, have a look here - you can't go wrong!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_seven_br_mrr_3?rh=n%3A328228011%2Ck%3Amen%2Cn%3A!328229011%2Cn%3A199482031%2Cp_n_target_audience_browse-bin%3A199495031%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A199513031%2Cp_36%3A389069011%2Cp_n_feature_seven_browse-bin%3A212534031&bbn=199482031&keywords=men&ie=UTF8&qid=1341138815&rnid=199497031#/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=n%3A328228011%2Ck%3Amen%2Cn%3A!328229011%2Cn%3A199482031%2Cp_n_target_audience_browse-bin%3A199495031%2Cp_36%3A389069011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A1448918031%2Cp_4%3ASeiko%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A199513031&bbn=199482031&sort=salesrank&keywords=men&ie=UTF8&qid=1341141747

My own fave on this list is this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seiko-Gents-Chronograph-Watch-SNN231P1/dp/B003UBK0K6/ref=sr_1_9?s=watch&ie=UTF8&qid=1341142094&sr=1-9

and it does seem to be on a bracelet, in spite of the main pic.

If your BF is a 6'4" rugby player he could wear a bigger watch e.g. case diameter of 45mm.

when he graduates, and hopefully gets a job, will he wear a suit, or jeans and t-shirt? If he's e.g. an accountant in a small office, he might need sth more conservative, if not he can wear what he likes.

The board experts will have broader suggestions.

Hope this helps a little and please let us know what you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think Tommy Hilfiger make some lovely looking watches. I've had two of them. Unfortunately the two of them fell apart. In fact, I've had three as the replacement for one of them also fell apart. I replaced it with a Seiko which has been rock solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

blindsider wrote: »

I love that Seiko, a great looking watch! Good value too.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sunster

Bang for buck in this price range I dont think you can beat the Seiko SKX007
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/LATEST-SEIKO-200M-AUTO-STEEL-JUBILEE-SCUBA-PRO-DIVER-SKX007K2-/200769844961?pt=UK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item2ebed0b6e1

Owned one of these myself. Lots of respect from watch geeks like us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Sunster wrote: »
    Bang for buck in this price range I dont think you can beat the Seiko SKX007
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/LATEST-SEIKO-200M-AUTO-STEEL-JUBILEE-SCUBA-PRO-DIVER-SKX007K2-/200769844961?pt=UK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item2ebed0b6e1

Owned one of these myself. Lots of respect from watch geeks like us
    Probably the best value for money watch you can get. It might be cheaper from Creation Watches.

• Advertisement

Interesting watch - but what if you don't like 'Divers'? Or fliegers, or Chronos, or analogue or......

It really is a matter of taste.

Question for the experts: What, IYO, makes the SKX007 'better' than another similarly-priced Seiko?

Question for the experts: What, IYO, makes the SKX007 'better' than another similarly-priced Seiko?
    It's a very well-made automatic 200 metre diver's watch that a professional diver could use. It will go for years without a service, it's rugged, and it's cheap.

It's a very well-made automatic 200 metre diver's watch that a professional diver could use. It will go for years without a service, it's rugged, and it's cheap.

Ok - thanks. So it's a very good diver's watch and good VFM - what if he doesn't want a diver's watch?

Is it fair to say that any Seiko is 'the best' - surely it's as much about style as anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Of course style is a factor which is why the op could post pics of the style of watch that might be an option and that would help narrow it down.

Edit - that said, there's not much else with the same build quality in that price range.

Edit 2: they also do a massive range of styles, so you're by no means limited to a particular style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

+1 for SeikO kenetics.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sunster

Interesting watch - but what if you don't like 'Divers'? Or fliegers, or Chronos, or analogue or......

It really is a matter of taste.

Of course much of what one decides to buy depends on a matter of taste. It also depends on the image you want to portray whilst wearing it.
    Personally I have a fondness for sports/ dive style watches. most of them have a degree of versatility whilst at the same time have an element of durability. The afore mentioned skx007 is more water resistant than you would ever need. It has the simple black dial which is perfectly legible with legible hands all coated with decent lume for seeing in the dark once charged. The bracelet is very solid at this price range. The automatic movement and case have been renowned to be very durable and reliable....compare this to the similarly priced designer branded quartz watches which fall apart after a year or so. I could go on but I'd love for those interested to do their own bit of research and find out why this watch is so special for so little

Ok - thanks. So it's a very good diver's watch and good VFM - what if he doesn't want a diver's watch?
    She gets him something else? :)
    Is it fair to say that any Seiko is 'the best' - surely it's as much about style as anything else?
    Well when I say it's the best value for money that's obviously a subjective assessment.

Advertisement