Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Test fax

Options
  • 30-06-2012 11:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Can I ask one or two people to send me a test fax please? I switched VOIP providers recently and I've had customers telling me the line is engaged. I'll send the number via PM.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Anyone? I know faxes are legacy, but I'm pretty sure there's some left out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

dahamsta wrote: »
    Anyone? I know faxes are legacy, but I'm pretty sure there's some left out there :)
    I'll do it this evening when I get home, Pm me the number

Thanks Big Lar, PM sent.

Anyone else? I'd like to get 2 or 3 to be sure. :)

your end picks up OK and the machines communicate but I am getting a Com Error on my Fax when I try and send it
    Title:
    What does "COMM.ERROR" on the LCD display mean?

Description:

This means that your Brother machine experienced a communications error when sending or receiving a FAX. This is generally caused by either interference on the line, phone line connection or another device on the line.
    Try resending the documents and see if the message no longer appears.

If the message still appears, there may be a problem with the way the Brother machine is connected or you may have a bad telephone line. Disconnect any other equipment on the telephone line, i.e. answering machine, modem, extra telephones, switching devices, adapters, etc. Make sure the telephone line is connected directly from the jack (socket) on the Brother machine labeled "Line" to the telephone wall jack (socket).
    Try resending again. If the transmission is successful, the problem was created by the connection of the Brother machine and the other devices on the line. Reconnect the other pieces of equipment one at a time to see which is causing the problem. If the error continues to appear on the report, try connecting the Brother machine to a different telephone line or have the line checked by the telephone company.

Thanks very much Big Lar. Goldfish sent me a fax successfully today, but I'd wonder if they're sending via mail-to-fax themselves. I've had this problem now with two customers and yourself, so there's definitely something going on there.

Adam

• Advertisement

I'm with goldfish myself, they also have a Fax to Email service for €2.50 per month which may be the solution for you.
    The only reason that I have a fax is because its an all-in-one printer and scanner also, but we never use faxes anymore.

That's what I'm using Lar, and what's causing the problem. I have a feeling it may be routing set up before the fax was enabled, because it wasn't set up at first, but I'm getting stock answers so far. "It's working for us, so it must be working." Tell that to my customers.

Update: the support guy I was dealing with just wasn't getting it, but another chap has confirmed a problem. Nothing back since though.

Big Lar, can you tell me which operator you use for your landline please? PM is fine if necessary.

Thanks,
    Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Faxing is a still a bit hit and miss over voip (depending on local equipment and the providers support).

In an ideal scenario your ATA would support T.38 and so would your providers VOIP platform. This terminates the analog fax data stream on the ATA, creates a new T.38 data stream (rather than just packetising the fax tones) and sends it to the far end where the upstream gateway has to do the reverse when the call is ultimately brought in/put back onto the PSTN network.

If T.38 is not available then some ATA's/gateways can detect the modem/fax tone and switch off features like echo cancellation etc... (things that make voice calls better but kill analog data/fax calls). This works well but is more susceptible to packetloss and jitter than T.38.

If neither is available (on both ends) then faxes (especially multi-page or high speed faxes) can very often fail because of these voice features mangling the fax tones (even if there is no packetloss or low jitter on the WAN).

• Advertisement

It's fax-to-email, not delivered over the VoIP connection.

Goldfish say the line was borked before they picked it up from Blueface - which I can believe, given Blueface's technical capabilities - but that it's fixed now, and was the result of a routing issue at UPC. Which is odd, considering the client that had trouble is with Vodafone, but I guess UPC could be one of Goldfish's network providers. Sure we'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Ah - I missed the email bit! :)

Advertisement